Leon Hall cleared for on-field drills.

Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Leon Hall isn't a guy that you want to count down and out. After he sustained a devastating Achilles injury in the middle of the 2011 season, many wondered if he would be able to come back and continue to play at a high level. Not only did he play well and help lead a dominant defense in 2012, but he played 14 games, including the season opener.

Hall looked to be on track for another solid campaign in 2013, but his season was cut short once again withanother Achilles injury--this time to the other leg. When you watched that early-season game against theDetroit Lions, you saw a visibly upset Hall who undoubtedly knew what the injury was when he hobbled back into the visiting locker room. A few weeks ago, Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com joined us on the podcast and we asked him about Hall's rehab and his response was positive.

On Monday, Hobson tweeted out more good news on the Leon Hall rehabilitation front:

@Bengals CB Leon Hall rehab now includes all football drills.

— Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin) April 14, 2014

This is great news for a Bengals defense that is looking for as much able help at corner as possible, especially since this offseason's workout dates are looming. When Hobson joined us on the program a few weeks back, he hinted at the fact that Hall might be able to have another quick turnaround from this go-around with his injury because of the familiarity with the necessary rehab.

We'll see if that's accurate, but don't quite scratch Hall off of the Week One kickoff starters list yet.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/4/14/5613796/bengals-cornerback-leon-hall-cleared-for-all-football-drills-with

I wonder what Hall has left in the tank, he's at that age when players start to slow down. If anything he might be able replace Nelson in a year or two safety. 

I saw nothing in Hall last year that would indicate that he's on the down trend.  He actually played tremendously last year before getting hurt.  Shut down Randall Cobb vs GB.....his defense on Cobb was what GB couldn't counter, leading to a loss.   I think, with it being the other foot than original achilles injury, he should be able to come back and play at a high level still for another few years before age restricts his effectiveness. 

I think he would make a fine safety as well. 

I wonder what Hall has left in the tank, he's at that age when players start to slow down. If anything he might be able replace Nelson in a year or two safety. 

If you knew him, you'd never question that.  That man is dedicated to his craft.  He'll be a 15 year career guy.  The cool thing is that the Bengals have 8-9 of these guys.

If you knew him, you'd never question that.  That man is dedicated to his craft.  He'll be a 15 year career guy.  The cool thing is that the Bengals have 8-9 of these guys.

Hell yea. But at some point God forbid he tears his Achilles again he may have to think about calling it quits. I hate to think that but it's something you can't predict. 

I saw nothing in Hall last year that would indicate that he's on the down trend.  He actually played tremendously last year before getting hurt.  Shut down Randall Cobb vs GB.....his defense on Cobb was what GB couldn't counter, leading to a loss.   I think, with it being the other foot than original achilles injury, he should be able to come back and play at a high level still for another few years before age restricts his effectiveness. 

X2

He's still an excellent corner, exceptional slot cover guy, and at some point, I think he can make the transition to FS a la Ronnie Lott.

PM seems to be of the belief that players begin the downward side of their careers after the first OTA.

I agree that he played great last year, he was our best CB without a doubt. However this is his second Achilles injury and he will be 30 by the end of the season so I think it reasonable to see what he can do upon his return.

Lastarza Lafayette Lorenzo only has but so much left and he wasn't the fastest guy to begin with, at some point he's going either have to make the switch to safety or retire. 

PM seems to be of the belief that players begin the downward side of their careers after the first OTA.

Where did I say that? All I asked if a guy who will be turning 30 during the season and coming off his 2nd potentially career ending injury will experience some fall off in his performance. I think that's a pretty reasonable question to ask when you consider his age and injury history. 

Nice. I figured we'd have a good idea about Leon's recovery before the draft. Adds to my belief that while we could take CB in the first if it's BPA, we don't have such a huge immediate need at the position that we are locked into CB early.

I would be fine with them just adding 2 in the middle rounds for 2014 depth with the hope that at least 1 of the 2 is ready to be a real contributor in 2015. 

Instead use 1 or 2 of the early picks to try to get the running game going. 3.7 YPC just isn't going to cut it. Wherever Hue thinks he needs some fresh blood to improve the rushing game is the #1 need in my opinion.

Holy fuck. What is wrong with people on this site? Kenneth was a -3 for this post before I upped it? 

Other than the change of coordinators, the health of Geno and Leon are probably the next biggest question marks facing the defense this year, IMO. The Bengals don't just need them back on the field, they need them back at their normal high level of play. It's encouraging to hear Leon is progressing well in his rehab and I'm not surprised to hear it considering his character and history.

Leon Hall is a awesome player. I still remember me being so excited in 2007 when we drafted him. That boy ran a damn 4.39

I was ambivalent towards the pick until I saw his first press conference.. He came off so down to earth, mature and confident.. And not that blustery rooster kind of confidence, but that deep solid "grown man" confidence that seemed to indicate a man beyond his years.. 

On the flip side, Peko (now one of my favorite players) came off like a deer caught in the headlights the first interview I saw of him.. His eyes like silver dollars, I thought he wasn't going to make it.

He is from Michigan though so therefore ultimately he sucks...in that way.  :ninja:

He has played very well for the Bengals and is an excellent teamate (unlike Chris Perry another Big Blue pos) .  Good luck on your rehab Leon.  Get better soon we need ya...  

Archived