Leon Hall cleared for on-field drills.

hall140120_630.jpg

Rehabbing Leon Hall is doing all of his football drills, making a return by the first day of training camp more and more probable. 

Bengals cornerback Leon Hall didn’t come back from his fourth visit to the Masters with a green jacket, but he thinks the future is bright for a left-handed golfer in the wake of Bubba Watson’s second win on the overgrown billiard table at Augusta National.

“I could be terrible in Cincinnati, but maybe if I stepped through the gates at Augusta with my golf clubs someday, suddenly I’m a scratch golfer,” Hall said with one of his wry smiles. “The course plays in my favor. I can’t hit it Bubba long, but I get some distance and I’m left-handed.”

He’s also sure-footed, which has to make Bengaldom breathing easier than Watson’s caddy when Bubba’s three-shot lead survived his rather loopy decision to drill one through a hole in a tree rather than the safer punch-out. If the weather had been good Monday, Hall would have been on the field at Paul Brown Stadium doing football drills just 176 days after tearing his second Achilles in three years. Instead he stayed inside for rehab.

“Weather permitting. Going out in the rain, it makes no sense,” Hall said. “I can pretty much do everything. Back pedal, breaking on the ball, doing the whole deal, 360 turns, 180 turns…

“If I keep this pace up, I’m not really worried about if I’m going to be ready for training camp. It’s more just preparing for the start of training camp.”

That was Bengals director of rehab Nick Cosgray’s successful timetable when Hall came back from tearing the left Achilles during the 2011 season and rebounded to have such a brilliant 2012 season that many in the league thought it was Pro Bowl worthy even if the voters didn’t. He didn’t participate in the spring camps and just focused on the last week in July.

But even though Hall, 29, is two years older, this rehab on his right Achilles seems to be even a little quicker.

“Early on I felt like it was a little ahead of schedule, which is good,” Hall said. “But we thought we had so much time, we slowed it down a little bit and have been keeping a steady pace.”

Cosgray gave him the golf go-ahead once he was able to run on the treadmill, just about the time the season would have started if most of the United States hadn’t been frozen in the Pleistocene epoch this winter and spring. But he has been playing enough recently that when fans see him on the tee they assume he’s healthy.

“It’s good because I love playing golf,” he said, “but it really has nothing to do with my Achilles or rehab.”

How much does he love it ever since wife Jessica, a golfer since 12, beat him badly on a par 3 course on that fateful day in 2008? Motivated as only a husband can be, he took up the game immediately and was shooting in the mid-80s on his favorite course at Kenwood Country Club last year and he already has a 12 handicap.

“It’s getting worse,” he said of the addiction. “I want to play more and more every year, but there are only so many days in the week.”

Hall probably likes golf because it emphasizes one of his much strength as arguably the Bengals’ best defensive player. (If he’s not, then it is two-time Pro Bowl tackle Geno Atkins.)  Hall plays a cerebral game, which is why he can move so seamlessly into the slot on passing downs, a key factor in the Bengals’ success on third down.

“I think it’s so technical. There are so many little things that have to go right,” Hall said. “To make the ball do what you want it to do, you have to be really sound. It takes a lot of focus. It’s a long round and you have to stay focused for a long time. Some people just hit the ball. Maybe some people are just naturally gifted like that. You think you can hit this ball anyway you can, but you really can’t. There is a lot of learning and practice.”

Hall doesn’t go to Augusta for the entire week because he likes to watch the finish at home. This year he arrived in time to see some of the Wednesday practice round,  all of Thursday’s first round, and then he left after watching the second round unfold Friday morning.

On that last day he decided to do something he never did and followed a group for a few holes when he tracked Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, and Henrik Stenson.

“The best part of following a group is to see their ups and downs and how they work out of trouble to still be relevant in the tournament or save a score,” Hall said. “I’m always interested in how they maneuver around the golf course. Every player is different. It’s good to see the different ways people read different situations.”

Hall had picked Day to go all the way after some big finishes at Augusta, like his runner-up effort in 2011 and last year’s tie for third.

“I like his game,” Hall said. “His name was on a list and it stuck out to me. He’s consistent. He hits the ball long, which is always fun to watch. He likes to work the ball right to left and left to right. The other thing I like is the dialogue with the caddy. Fun to hear. There’s nothing crazy, they’re just talking about the wind, the lie, and sometimes the caddy asks somebody to stop talking.”

Usually Hall likes to bounce around the Masters and not follow anyone. Since he camped out at Amen Corner for stretches of his first three visits, he decided to break it up last week. He stood next to the fairway at 15 “where they can either go for it or lay up,” he watched the big drop from the 10th tee, and he monitored the par 3s at Nos. 4 and 6.

“The grass isn’t fake. You have to touch it sometimes. I did. You almost feel like it’s almost too perfect,” Hall said.

He recognizes the history of the place and one of the nice things is that no one recognizes him. Oh, he’s met some folks from Cincinnati and they’ve walked the course together a few times, but it’s a nice getaway for a guy who likes being the best cornerback America doesn’t know.

“They don’t recognize me, man. If I’m not in Cincinnati or back home (in San Diego), I’m good to go,” Hall said. “If I’m here in Cincinnati I don’t mind seeing people or people seeing me. Everyone around here is great to me. But if I go somewhere and no one notices me, I prefer it that way.”

But Hall wouldn’t mind recognizing a pro golfer. He has yet to meet one, never mind the one guy in the world he really wants to meet. Tiger Woods. Those are the guys that might make him a bit tongue-tied.

“I think I’d be set back a little bit. Yeah, I think I would be awed,” Hall said. “If I met Peyton Manning, maybe because it’s we play the same sport, I’m not really impressed. Obviously, he’s a great player. But I wouldn’t go out of my way to meet him. I’d be awed if I met Tiger Woods, or Jason Day, or somebody like Bubba. I watch him because he’s left-handed.  There’s still hope.”

Hope and the spring and the green grass go together. Hall feels like more good things are on the way after being invigorated by his annual pilgrimage.

“I’m in a good place right now,” he said, “so I’m happy.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hall-Masters-rehab/61eac6d3-c4b8-43aa-ae16-5dd5501f3d50

Holy fuck. What is wrong with people on this site? Kenneth was a -3 for this post before I upped it? 

Makes sense.

How often have you seen some of the dumbest things ever written get a +3 on this board?

That said, Kenny's post currently has a +1 and could have been one better if I could bring myself to vote in his behalf.

Sadly, because he has put me on ignore, I could not.

Other than the change of coordinators, the health of Geno and Leon are probably the next biggest question marks facing the defense this year, IMO. The Bengals don't just need them back on the field, they need them back at their normal high level of play. It's encouraging to hear Leon is progressing well in his rehab and I'm not surprised to hear it considering his character and history.

I agree, I hope they can both still be real difference makers.  I am of the belief that the negative from losing Zimmer is offset by the positive of putting Hue in charge.  

I think the loss of MJ will not be felt IF Geno comes back at near his old self.  Geno makes it possible for any DE to get a bit richer, here or elsewhere.

I agree, I hope they can both still be real difference makers.  I am of the belief that the negative from losing Zimmer is offset by the positive of putting Hue in charge.  

I think the loss of MJ will not be felt IF Geno comes back at near his old self.  Geno makeswon't be backpossible for any DE to won'ta bit richer, here or elsewhere.

While I am excited about Hue replacing Gruden as well, the loss of Zimmer will be hard to guage until the games begin. After all Guenther has never been a coordinator and had that level of authority before. His advantages will be primarily in terms of continuity and familiarity with the system and players and the fact that only a few players won't be back. We just won't know how he will handle variables like in-game adjustments and injuries and Zimmer set a pretty high standard during his 6 years running the show. Hue is a more proven commodity who has been a coordinator and play caller only a few years ago with a track record of success to boot. Far from an unproven commodity who will be learning on the job.

While I am excited about Hue replacing Gruden as well, the loss of Zimmer will be hard to guage until the games begin. After all Guenther has never been a coordinator and had that level of authority before. His advantages will be primarily in terms of continuity and familiarity with the system and players and the fact that only a few players won't be back. We just won't know how he will handle variables like in-game adjustments and injuries and Zimmer set a pretty high standard during his 6 years running the show. Hue is a more proven commodity who has been a coordinator and play caller only a few years ago with a track record of success to boot. Far from an unproven commodity who will be learning on the job.

He's had that level of authority before, just not on the professional level.  He was a College Head coach for 4 years, albeit at a D3 school, but he led them to the best 4 year run in the previous 95 years, and was the DC for Patriot league FCS school, Jacksonville, before that.  Plus, the Zimmer that sat the high standards for his six years, thought enough about Paulie to want him to be his DC in Minnesota.  He may be unknown, but he's not unproven.

He's had that level of authority before, just not on the professional level.  He was a College Head coach for 4 years, albeit at a D3 school, but he led them to the best 4 year run in the previous 95 years, and was the DC for Patriot league FCS school, Jacksonville, before that.  Plus, the Zimmer that sat the high standards for his six years, thought enough about Paulie to want him to be his DC in Minnesota.  He may be unknown, but he's not unproven.

I guess I should have been more specific. Guenther is unproven as an NFL defensive coordinator. Hue is not unproven as an NFL offensive coordinator. Zimmer did want him to go with him to Minnesota, which is definitely a good sign in my eyes. Multiple teams showing interest means his talent is recognized outside the organization. Still, Guenther has no track record running an NFL defense and nobody knows how he will handle it.

I guess I should have been more specific. Guenther is unproven as an NFL defensive coordinator. Hue is not unproven as an NFL offensive coordinator. Zimmer did want him to go with him to Minnesota, which is definitely a good sign in my eyes. Multiple teams showing interest means his talent is recognized outside the organization. Still, Guenther has no track record running an NFL defense and nobody knows how he will handle it.

Every coach that gets a promotion is unproven based on that logic.  Just like any other promotion in any other line of work, you have to look at the experience base in other areas to determine whether it makes sense.  In his case, I'm comfortable that it does, and it appears that most in the NFL agree.

Every coach that gets a promotion is unproven based on that logic.  Just like any other promotion in any other line of work, you have to look at the experience base in other areas to determine whether it makes sense.  In his case, I'm comfortable that it does, and it appears that most in the NFL agree.

I understand what you are saying, but we have to agree that not all promotions work out, even those made with the best information beforehand.  The NFL is full of guys who couldn't handle it at the next level.

I agree with you that Zimmer and Gruden's desire to bring Guenther along is promising, and personally I am holding out high hope for success..  However we can't pretend there is no chance of failure or that we have absolute proof he can handle the new position at this level because he has not yet done it.  For example, when Zimmer came over from Dallas I was certain he would succeed if he was allowed to because he had a record of sustained success at that position at this level in multiple systems.

I think we can have similar confidence with Hue for similar reasons.. I don't think you can make that statement with the same certainty about Guenther.. At least if you are truly being honest.

I understand what you are saying, but we have to agree that not all promotions work out, even those made with the best information beforehand.  The NFL is full of guys who couldn't handle it at the next level.

I agree with you that Zimmer and Gruden's desire to bring Guenther along is promising, and personally I am holding out high hope for success..  However we can't pretend there is no chance of failure or that we have absolute proof he can handle the new position at this level because he has not yet done it.  For example, when Zimmer came over from Dallas I was certain he would succeed if he was allowed to because he had a record of sustained success at that position at this level in multiple systems.

I think we can have similar confidence with Hue for similar reasons.. I don't think you can make that statement with the same certainty about Guenther.. At least if you are truly being honest.

True, but if you look around the league at the guys that have been most successful making that jump from position coach to Coordinator, it has been the guys that were already in the system that they took over.  Marvin, Rex, Zimmer, etc, all went from position coaches to Coordinators in the same system, and all had good success.  Paulie has taken the same route that most of them took, working from the bottom up.  I guess that's why I'm not as worried that there will be concerns, he already knows all of the guys, and they respect him.  He knows who the real leaders are, he's already worked with all of the coaches, he's been helping to develop the game plan, he's just gotta make the calls now.  And with the DC and Head Coaching experience in his past, even if it was on a D3 level, he's got an idea of what that part entails. 

True, but if you look around the league at the guys that have been most successful making that jump from position coach to Coordinator, it has been the guys that were already in the system that they took over.  Marvin, Rex, Zimmer, etc, all went from position coaches to Coordinators in the same system, and all had good success.  Paulie has taken the same route that most of them took, working from the bottom up.  I guess that's why I'm not as worried that there will be concerns, he already knows all of the guys, and they respect him.  He knows who the real leaders are, he's already worked with all of the coaches, he's been helping to develop the game plan, he's just gotta make the calls now.  And with the DC and Head Coaching experience in his past, even if it was on a D3 level, he's got an idea of what that part entails. 

an interesting point not often talked about.  I wonder what the success rate is there.

• 3 weeks later...

Leon Hall: Rehab progressing well

Updated: May 5, 2014, 3:51 PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- Bengals cornerback Leon Hall said Monday that he continues to feel confident in his rehab from last October's season-ending Achilles tear, and that he believes he is on pace to make a full return by the start of training camp.

"Ever since I was able to get out of the cast and start rehabbing we've kind of taken that approach to it," Hall said about his targeted training-camp return. "When I get to training camp, everything in between was to make sure not only that my Achilles is ready but that the rest of my body was conditioned. The last thing I want to do is go in there and be a step behind some other guys as far as conditioning or how they are physically."

Hall may not have to worry about that happening. He said he has already been cleared to participate in all athletic activity, including running and cutting and turning on his feet. He probably wouldn't be cleared to put on pads just yet, but he's getting closer.

"I feel pretty comfortable pretty much doing anything, whether it's straight ahead, lateral type stuff, jumping, landing," he said. "I'm pretty good to go with almost everything."

Hall added that he hasn't had any complications or setbacks with his injury that came Oct. 20 at Detroit. "Everything is looking pretty good," he said.

On the play in which the injury occurred, Hall tried to jump in the corner of an end zone as he covered receiver Calvin Johnson. The much taller Johnson was going up for a goal-line pass from Matthew Stafford that ultimately fell incomplete because of Hall's tight coverage. Immediately after the play, though, Hall went to the turf where he grabbed his lower right leg. After walking gingerly to the sideline, a visibly frustrated Hall sat down on a Gatorade cooler.

"It seems like so long ago, but it was definitely an emotional day," said Hall, a former college standout at Michigan. "I had a lot of family members at the game."

The Achilles injury was the second of his career. After having previously been through a left Achilles tear, he had an idea during this rehab process of what to expect.

"It's the same injury but you have to try to keep them separated," Hall said. "Just because I was doing something with my left foot doesn't mean I have to be doing it with my right foot at a certain amount of time of the rehab or whatever it may be. And vice versa. There is rehab I did two years ago that I haven't done, as far as exercises, just because I really didn't need to. The same thing with the right one."

Along with Hall, the Bengals are hopeful that defensive tackle Geno Atkins will be fully recovered from an ACL injury in time for the July 23 start of camp. Offensive guard Clint Boling also had an ACL injury last season, but has a slower recovery time than Atkins simply because his injury came later in the 2013 season. He, too, is optimistic about a preseason return.

He's one of those guys that lacks the super-elite physical tools to dominate, so he has a fanatical attention to detail. You just know he takes that same meticulous nature to his rehab. Hall rules.

He's one of those guys that lacks the super-elite physical tools to dominate, so he has a fanatical attention to detail. You just know he takes that same meticulous nature to his rehab. Hall rules.

I totally agree...

I hope and totally believe he will come back strong.

Another reason taking a CB high is a good idea: let some Leon Hall rub off on him while he's still around.

agreed and I am totally fine with that....

I think Dennard will be the pick...and how fitting that he's very similar to Leon Hall? 

and this...

Archived