Bengals forming a line in middle rounds of draft

No more popular position exists among first-round picks. When Roger Goodell reads off the names of players selected May 8 at Radio City Music Hall, he’ll likely announce more defensive linemen then quarterbacks, wide receivers, cornerbacks, or any other group.

Video game passing numbers of the new NFL necessitate a pass rush. Pressure the quarterback or coaches lose jobs.

Over the past five years, 46 defensive linemen were selected in the first round. They represent 29 percent of the 160 first-rounders.

Green Bay used three of their last five first-round selections solidifying the line. Twelve other teams used a first-round pick on them twice in the last five years.

The Bengals did not. In fact, Marvin Lewis never has. Cincinnati owns the longest drought of selecting first-round defensive linemen in the NFL. The last was Justin Smith in 2001.

Only three other teams haven’t selected a defensive lineman in the first round the last five years – Baltimore, Oakland and Dallas. Baltimore and Oakland both traded away their opening picks twice. Dallas did once.

Yet, here’s the Bengals, without a first-round lineman in sight but an envy of the NFL in talent and depth in the front four. They enter next season riding three consecutive years ranked in the top seven in the league defensively.

How could that happen? Have the Bengals uncovered the new market inefficiency?

The answer: Well, maybe. Cincinnati isn’t specifically avoiding defensive linemen in the first round. However, they are aware of the analytics.

“Statistically, you can get above first line defensive tackles anywhere,” said director of player personnel Duke Tobin, referring to a player who would become a starter on your team. “The statistics of it are not such that it would augur to take an early-round defensive tackle because your odds of getting them in the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh round and college free agency are almost just as good.”

Many of the numbers are acquired through a draft analysis service provided by super scout Mike Giddings, who offers research and development on where starters can be found historically and in the current draft.

“We have (his research) in the back of our mind as we are going,” Tobin said. “Look at the depth of the draft. Can we wait around on this position then? Statistically we have the better chance (hypothetically) of waiting on the defensive tackle and taking a corner here. Sometimes that would be one of the things we break the tie with.”

They’ve done more than break ties. Of the 11 homegrown players in the Bengals’ primary rotation over the three-year period where the line developed into the backbone of the team, the middle rounds produced the power.

Last year’s starters Geno Atkins (fourth round, 2010), Domata Peko (fourth, 2006), Carlos Dunlap (second, 2010) and Michael Johnson (third, 2009) all were cast aside draft weekend.

The same can be said for rotation stalwarts Robert Geathers (fourth, 2004), Brandon Thompson (third, 2012), Frostee Rucker (third, 2006), Jonathan Fanene (seventh, 2005), Pat Sims (third, 2008), Devon Still (second, 2012) and Margus Hunt (second, 2013).

At the axis of the repeated ascension from overlooked to overwhelming stands defensive line coach Jay Hayes. Finding the next Atkins or Johnson comes as much from gut instinct as any spreadsheet of analytics.

“I just get a feel, you know what I mean? And I just kind of go with it.” Hayes said. “I see things in guys. I played this position myself. I have coached it for a long time. I feel like I know what a defensive lineman looks like and what they should be able to do and how they can help in our scheme. It’s just something with experience you learn.”

Pinpointing the Bengals’ model of defensive end means finding tall ends with long arms and explosion around the edge.

“We are looking for traits, we are looking for upside,” Tobin said.

These were all traits Johnson, Dunlap and Hunt shared. Perusing the middle rounds this year uncovers Will Clarke (6-foot-6, 271 pounds) of West Virginia with a sprawling wingspan. He batted down seven passes his final season with the Mountaineers, though he was underused as a pass rusher for WVU.

Slightly further down the board into the fifth round and beyond would be Brent Urban (6-7, 295 pounds) of Virginia. He’d fit the basketball team prerequisite off the edge and comes with a raw size combination in line with Hunt.

While the Bengals search this year’s mid-round defensive linemen to replace the departed Johnson, they’ll again be tempted in the first round to break their lineman drought. Auburn’s Dee Ford and Missouri’s Kony Ealy stand among those possible matches at No. 24.

Ford racked up 8.5 sacks in an All-SEC senior season. Ealy joined Ford on the SEC team, adding 9.5 sacks and three forced fumbles off the edge.

Would the Bengals pull the trigger at defensive line instead of cornerback, offensive line or a surprise position? Sure. But anybody paying attention to analytics and Lewis’ history knows not to bet on it. 

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/04/19/bengals-forming-line-middle-rounds-draft/7915017/

Tobin doesn't seem to talk to the media a whole lot, but every time he does he comes off really well. Just seems like a really intelligent guy with an incredibly bright future in the league. 

Hard to tell exactly how the Bengals front office works, but he seems to basically perform 80-90% of the duties of a GM and it will be interesting to see if he eventually earns that title. Hopefully the Bengals will be able to hold onto him for a long time. 

Tobin doesn't seem to talk to the media a whole lot, but every time he does he comes off really well. Just seems like a really intelligent guy with an incredibly bright future in the league. 

Hard to tell exactly how the Bengals front office works, but he seems to basically perform 80-90% of the duties of a GM and it will be interesting to see if he eventually earns that title. Hopefully the Bengals will be able to hold onto him for a long time. 

yea I remember Marvin doing an interview awhile back and he said Duke is basically the GM in every sense except having the official title.

I know he's been on the committee where they give underclassmen a "grade" to give them a feel for where they might be drafted, to help them in the consideration process for whether or not they want to declare. I've also heard him interviewed during halftime of the PS games - he's kind of the anti-Marvin, in that he actually addresses questions and talks about players, what they need to work on, etc. He was pretty impressive on Hard Knocks, too. 

Archived