Twist on Mock Draft: MW as GM edition. You make the picks

I wanted to make a bit of a twist on the mock drafts here. I thought it would be fun if one of us took the gm role and made some parameters for goals that we wanted to achieve in the draft and then put it out there for the rest of us to create a mock draft that fulfilled those needs. In that vain I will start.(Please suspend any disagreements with my parameters. Form your own and then create a similar thread with your parameters.)

My goals

CB

Goal: Get me a guy who can be in the mix to start this year. 1st-3rd rounder.

CB Jones 2015 Kirkpatrick 2015 Lewis-Harris 2014
CB Newman 2014 Hall 2015 Stanford 2014 McCalebb Fut14

S

Goal: I would ideally like another playmaker here. Can come from anywhere. Coverage safety and not a box guy.

S IIoka 2015 Williams 2016
S Nelson 2015  Manning 2014 Burton Fut14

LB

Goal: I like 4 of the five, am excited about Porter’s upside and Mays potential as he focuses on a niche. I’d be ok with none here or one very high and anything in between.

SLB Lamur 2014 Dimanche 2015 Porter 2016 Joiner 2015
MLB Maualuga 2014  Schaefer 2014 Taylor Fut14
WLB Burfict 2014 Rey 2015 Mays 2014

DE

Goal: I like our top group here, don’t want to draft before a third.

LE Dunlap 2018 Hunt 2016 King Fut14
RE Geathers 2015 Gilberry 2015 Moch 2014 Montgomery 2014

DT

Goal: I am interested with what the last four names on the list can accomplish. I think there is a wildcard in there. None early.

LT Peko 2016 Thompson 2015 Bilukidi 2015 Nwagbuo 2014
RT Atkins 2018 Still 2015 Black 2014 Minter Fut14

OL

Goal: Need someone who can backup at LT and possibly be a starter down the road. Also would love a guard in the later rounds. Draft someone in top 3 rounds.

LT Whitworth 2015 Newhouse 2014
LG Boling 2014 Hawkinson 2016
C  Pollack 2016 Robinson 2014 Johnson Fut14 Wedige Fut14
RG Zeitler 2015
RT Smith 2015

TE

Goal: Gresham is up for Free Agency and I want an insurance policy for his potential loss. Get me a pass catching TE in the fourth round or beyond.

TE Eifert 2017 Gresham 2014 Brock 2014

WR

Goal: I think we are set here but wouldn’t complain if you fell in love with a guy and wanted to draft him in round 3 or beyond.

WR Green 2015 Sanzenbacher 2014 Hamilton Fut14
WR Sanu 2015 Whalen 2014
WR Jones 2015 Tate 2014

RB

Goal: I would sign Michael Bush (1 year deal) ASAP but still be open to drafting a guy as early as the third. Get me a fullback that can catch some passes.

RB Green-Ellis 2014 Bernard 2016 Peerman 2014 Burkhead 2016
FB Charles 2015

QB

Goal: Get me a strong armed guy who has the potential to be the starter should Dalton not make it. I’d be very happy to start the season with one of Garapalo, Mettenberger or Savage. I would take a replacement if he fits that criteria. Don’t want McCarron or Murray.

QB Dalton 2014 Campbell 2014 Johnson 2014 Robinson 2014

My shopping list

CB: 1-3 get me a starter.

S: Get me a playmaker doesn’t matter what round.

LB: Do as you wish.

DE: None before 3rd, then do as you wish.

DT: None before 3rd, then do as you wish.

OL: Get me a LT 1-3 and some depth at G.

TE: Get me a pass catcher in the 4th or after.

WR: None before 3rd, then do as you wish.

RB: I’ve added Michael Bush, None before the 3rd then do as you wish. Get me a FB who can catch passes.

QB: Get me a strong armed guy who can possibly replace Andy Dalton

Used the Fanspeak draft simulator:

1. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech (Fits our system perfectly.)

2. OT Jawuan James, Tennessee (Played RT in college but has all the tools to be a LT.)

3. ILB Shane Skov, Stanford (Planned on going QB here but the 3 you want were gone. Skov takes over for Maualuga in 2015.)

4. RB Andre Williams, Boston College (A younger, better version of BJGE.)

5. DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida (Might be a little reach but he has a ton of potential.)

6. TE Richard Rodgers, California (My target here was Logan Thomas but he went 5 picks prior. Rodgers kills 2 birds with 1 stone as he can play TE and FB.)

6. QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina (No draftable QBs with cannon arms left so I went with best QB available)

7. S Jonathan Downing, Western Kentucky (Former Florida Gator has a lot of talent but has issues with coachability.)

7. OG Zach Fulton, Tennessee (Best guard available)

Used the Fanspeak draft simulator:

1. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech (Fits our system perfectly.)

2. OT Jawuan James, Tennessee (Played RT in college but has all the tools to be a LT.)

3. ILB Shane Skov, Stanford (Planned on going QB here but the 3 you want were gone. Skov takes over for Maualuga in 2015.)

4. RB Andre Williams, Boston College (A younger, better version of BJGE.)

5. DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida (Might be a little reach but he has a ton of potential.)

6. TE Richard Rodgers, California (My target here was Logan Thomas but he went 5 picks prior. Rodgers kills 2 birds with 1 stone as he can play TE and FB.)

6. QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina (No draftable QBs with cannon arms left so I went with best QB available)

7. S Jonathan Downing, Western Kentucky (Former Florida Gator has a lot of talent but has issues with coachability.)

7. OG Zach Fulton, Tennessee (Best guard available)

Very cool. Thanks for the notes. I keep hearing about Connor Shaw, just rumblings here and there about his upside. I like every other pick as far as I know. I am excited to get some time to look into the guys I don't know much about. 

My shopping list

OL: Get me a LT 1-3 and some depth at G.

...or get someone that is versatile enough to fit both positions...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1754724/joel-bitonio

While this kid is not a perfect fit but he has extremely high potential to play wherever is needed on the line,  Very versatile and usually that is what it takes on our line,

Did another one on the Fanspeak site. Hate taking a QB in round 2. Hate it. Also not real high on Hurst but after round 2 the quality of tackles drops significantly.

1. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

2. QB Tom Savage, Pittsburgh

3. OT James Hurst, North Carolina

4. RB Charles Sims, West Virginia

5. S Vinnie Sunseri, Alabama

6. DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida

6. TE Jake Murphy, Utah

7. OG Chris Burnette, Georgia

7. MLB Avery Willamson, Kentucky

Did another one on the Fanspeak site. Hate taking a QB in round 2. Hate it. Also not real high on Hurst but after round 2 the quality of tackles drops significantly.

1. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

2. QB Tom Savage, Pittsburgh

3. OT James Hurst, North Carolina

4. RB Charles Sims, West Virginia

5. S Vinnie Sunseri, Alabama

6. DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida

6. TE Jake Murphy, Utah

7. OG Chris Burnette, Georgia

7. MLB Avery Willamson, Kentucky

Cool, 

I'm hoping this is a fun twist to the regular mock drafts. Probably how things work in the war room too. Guys going to bat for their guy and where they think the needs are. 

Throw up a similar thread and I'd be happy to give it a go. 

Good work MW. I like this idea because I dont know a ton about the players in the draft (especially later rounds) but I know a lot about our team and what holes I think we have. Who wants to do a mock draft based on my parameters? 

Also to add a little twist on MWs idea, im cool with trading up/down.

QB- I dont need a QB, but one in the 2nd-4th would be nice. I would like a guy that would be a solid backup one way or the other and could potentially replace dalton if needed. Someone maybe with a little higher upside (IE stronger arm, maybe more mobile?).

RB- Dont necessarily need a RB, but if we could upgrade ellis that would be nice. A strong guy that could carry the load if needed. If we draft one early we could cut BJGE this year. If its later, he could compete with burk and peerman and hopefully replace ellis in 2015. As far as round, doenst really matter to me. I could go as high as second with a carlos hyde type or not even take one at all.

WR- I wouldnt take one until later unless some cant miss prospect fell in our laps. A later round guy would have to be a good return man to maybe replace tate.

OL-I would strongly consider OL earlier somewhere in the first through third. A guy just like Whit was out of college, guy that could start at OG right away and replace whit at OT at some point.

DE- id probably pass unless there was a guy that fell pretty far then id consider it or just a cant miss guy. Would conisder a guy in the later rounds. 

DT- Same as above.

LB- Id like a guy that could come in and compete right away for PT. Id consider a good coverage/run stopper but id also consider a pass rusher. Ideally a guy that could fight for PT in 3 LB sets (next to taze and rey) and eventually take over for Rey either at MLB or WLB if you move Taz to MLB.

CB- I dont think you have to draft a first round guy as much as everyone else does. I wouldnt be against it, but I dont necessarily think you have to. I dont think a late round guy really makes a lot of sense as he likely wont make the team, unless hes a really good return man. So I think you go for someone 1st-4th or none at all. 

S- if a stud was there early id take him, but if not no big deal. Id be content with a later round guy.

So to sum it up, essentially BPA. I absolutelty want to walk away with a OL somewhat early on offense. Thats my primary goal is to get a whit type. On D I just want a playmaker with a focus more on LB and CB. Id also probably split the first four rounds evenly, 2 D 2 O.

So whatcha got??

Ill give it a go. Used fanspeak.

Round 1. LB Ryan Shazier-OSU

Dennard was there but I got the feeling you would take Shazier over Dennard.

Round 2. G David Yankey-Stanford

I know you want a T but Bitonio just got taken and the group that is ranked around here are more RTs than left. I think we can nab a guy in a round or 2. I turned my attention to RB where Hyde was sitting but decided to go with David Yankey. He has played guard and tackle and while he projects to guard from what I can tell he is a plug and play starter at LG.

Round 3. RB Carlos Hyde-OSU

Hyde was there and I had to take him. He fits your goal of replacing lawfirm and is a stud. If he fell here he is he obvious pick. I can see him falling to Rd 3 but not this late, but with RB devalued you never know.

Round 4. CB Pierre Desir-Lindenwood

I was hoping Billy Turner would fall to me in the 4th. I guess that Yankey and Newhouse will have to be the insurance policy at LT. Marcus Martin is there and so is Tom Savage. However I want to respect your wishes and give you a defensive player. Desir comes from a small school and hasn't played much football but has nice size, is a great athlete and made plays at Lindenwood (25ints). Our DB unit might be the perfect place for him as he will likely get a nice blend of baptism by fire and sit and watch as our veterans move in and out of the lineup due to injury.

Round 5. QB Logan Thomas-Va Tech

I doubt he is here in Round 5 but if so I would take him as a developmental guy with a great tools. He is probably the last of the group that could eventually be starters so I take him here and don't really look back.

Round 6. T Justin Britt-Missouri

I failed to get you a quality LT possibility early so I am hoping that quantity will help. Britt has 24 starts in the SEC at LT and 6 at RT.

Round 6. WR Jalen Saunders-Oklahoma

Slot guy to replace Hawkins and the return man you want.

Round 7. DE Cassius Marsh-UCLA

Active inconsistent motor guy who could be great in a rotation despie being undersized.

Round 7. RB/QB Jerrick McKinnon-Georgia Southern

Blew up the combine so he might go much higher but he is a wildcard that could be a stud.

Ill give it a go. Used fanspeak.

Round 1. LB Ryan Shazier-OSU

Dennard was there but I got the feeling you would take Shazier over Dennard.

Round 2. G David Yankey-Stanford

I know you want a T but Bitonio just got taken and the group that is ranked around here are more RTs than left. I think we can nab a guy in a round or 2. I turned my attention to RB where Hyde was sitting but decided to go with David Yankey. He has played guard and tackle and while he projects to guard from what I can tell he is a plug and play starter at LG.

Round 3. RB Carlos Hyde-OSU

Hyde was there and I had to take him. He fits your goal of replacing lawfirm and is a stud. If he fell here he is he obvious pick. I can see him falling to Rd 3 but not this late, but with RB devalued you never know.

Round 4. CB Pierre Desir-Lindenwood

I was hoping Billy Turner would fall to me in the 4th. I guess that Yankey and Newhouse will have to be the insurance policy at LT. Marcus Martin is there and so is Tom Savage. However I want to respect your wishes and give you a defensive player. Desir comes from a small school and hasn't played much football but has nice size, is a great athlete and made plays at Lindenwood (25ints). Our DB unit might be the perfect place for him as he will likely get a nice blend of baptism by fire and sit and watch as our veterans move in and out of the lineup due to injury.

Round 5. QB Logan Thomas-Va Tech

I doubt he is here in Round 5 but if so I would take him as a developmental guy with a great tools. He is probably the last of the group that could eventually be starters so I take him here and don't really look back.

Round 6. T Justin Britt-Missouri

I failed to get you a quality LT possibility early so I am hoping that quantity will help. Britt has 24 starts in the SEC at LT and 6 at RT.

Round 6. WR Jalen Saunders-Oklahoma

Slot guy to replace Hawkins and the return man you want.

Round 7. DE Cassius Marsh-UCLA

Active inconsistent motor guy who could be great in a rotation despie being undersized.

Round 7. RB/QB Jerrick McKinnon-Georgia Southern

Blew up the combine so he might go much higher but he is a wildcard that could be a stud.

I dont know a ton about the guys after Logan Thomas, but the first 5 picks Id be fine with.

I understand why everyone wants a CB early, but IMO youd be okay not doing it and if Newman/pacman/hall all fall off, or even 2 of the 3 do, then draft a CB in the first in 2015. Im okay with a CB early, just dont think its a must.

Shazier instantly upgrades your weakest unit on D and a starting caliber G and RB should make your running game instantly better. Thomas gives you a guy with potential. If dalton leaves after 2014, theres a chance Thomas could be your guy in 2015. if not you could always draft QB early in 2015 or find one in FA to hold things over.

Archived