Andy Dalton wants to get paid like franchise QB

This is the guy a lot of pundits seem to think we should take. Anyone know anything about him other than he was injured recently?

Mettenberger is a statue worse than Byron Leftwich. Someone like JJ Watt or Mario Williams is gonna plant him face first like an oak sapling.

This is the guy a lot of pundits seem to think we should take. Anyone know anything about him other than he was injured recently?

He started his career at Georgia but lost the job to Aaron Murray and transferred to LSU. His mother is Marc Richt's secretary. He has a strong arm but doesn't seem very savvy. He had a lot of talent around him at LSU (Beckham, Landry, Hill, Copeland, etc). My view is that he's overrated in the 2nd and Murray and McCarron are more likely to be successful NFL QBs.

NFL salaries are in a whole new place. $20 mil QBs are going to be common and the rookie wage scale makes drafting a QB very very attractive.
Dalton is going to get over $15mil. It's a matter if he lights it up and commands $20mil.
My plan: Offer 15mil now which he probably won't sign. Draft Mettenberger in the 2nd. If Dalton lights it up and deserves 20mil, give it to him. If he repeats past years and still wants more than 15mil, give Mettenberger a chance and use the money on other players.

Well Harley--and since the Iggles have already been brought up--check out the numbers being bandied about for Nick Foles...he of one playoff appearance and one loss:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/04/what_kind_of_contract_could_nick_foles_get_from_the_eagles.html

Well Harley--and since the Iggles have already been brought up--check out the numbers being bandied about for Nick Foles...he of one playoff appearance and one loss:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/04/what_kind_of_contract_could_nick_foles_get_from_the_eagles.html

Foles will have to have a good season in 2014 to get a big contract but so far he's much better than Dalton. Didn't know his family was so rich, maybe he takes less.

He started his career at Georgia but lost the job to Aaron Murray and transferred to LSU. His mother is Marc Richt's secretary. He has a strong arm but doesn't seem very savvy. He had a lot of talent around him at LSU (Beckham, Landry, Hill, Copeland, etc). My view is that he's overrated in the 2nd and Murray and McCarron are more likely to be successful NFL QBs.

Murray is probably my favorite of the mid-round guys. I'd take him in 3 or 4 if he was there. 

With our close ties to UGA and Richt, I think he is a more likely selection than the guy who got kicked out of Georgia and lied to Richt's face multiple times.

NFL salaries are in a whole new place. $20 mil QBs are going to be common and the rookie wage scale makes drafting a QB very very attractive.

Dalton is going to get over $15mil. It's a matter if he lights it up and commands $20mil.

My plan: Offer 15mil now which he probably won't sign. Draft Mettenberger in the 2nd. If Dalton lights it up and deserves 20mil, give it to him. If he repeats past years and still wants more than 15mil, give Mettenberger a chance and use the money on other players.

Change out Mettenberger for Savage and I'm in......for some reason, I don't like Metternberger so much.  Lacking intangibles....an "awareness" almost that's missing, whereas Savage has something about him and seems like a football player, savvy, instinctual, athletic and a nice arm. 

Change out Mettenberger for Savage and I'm in......for some reason, I don't like Metternberger so much.  Lacking intangibles....an "awareness" almost that's missing, whereas Savage has something about him and seems like a football player, savvy, instinctual, athletic and a nice arm. 

Completely agree and he has a cannon for an arm too.

Savage is wildly overrated. A guy who couldn't cut it at his first two schools and was undistinguished at his 3rd is an NFL prospect? Please. He's the second coming of Blaine Gabbert, ie someone who apparently possesses the required physical tools but doesn't have the record of production to back it up.

He transferred to LSU because he got kicked out of UGA for lying to Richt about drinking underage, using a fake id, etc..then he plead guilty to sexual battery...http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2010/04/18/qb-mettenberger-dismissed-from-uga-team/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/387574-ex-uga-qb-mettenberger-pleads-guilty-to-sexual-battery

He seems like he has matured but he didn't leave UGA by choice, he was kicked off the team for displaying poor character and could be a risk for off the field problems in the NFL. 

Foles will have to have a good season in 2014 to get a big contract but so far he's much better than Dalton. Didn't know his family was so rich, maybe he takes less.

Please explain why he is so much better? If it is season production, parts of one compared to three does not balance. If playoffs, the production is the same. If it is a by chance lucky fit in a gimmick offense, then he does indeed have the edge.

Please explain why he is so much better? If it is season production, parts of one compared to three does not balance. If playoffs, the production is the same. If it is a by chance lucky fit in a gimmick offense, then he does indeed have the edge.

He's better because every QB is better than Dalton when you don't like Dalton.

Savage is wildly overrated. A guy who couldn't cut it at his first two schools and was undistinguished at his 3rd is an NFL prospect? Please. He's the second coming of Blaine Gabbert, ie someone who apparently possesses the required physical tools but doesn't have the record of production to back it up.

Yeah, I don't get the mad love for Savage.  Wasn't that long ago he was a 5th round pick.

...for some reason, I don't like Metternberger so much. 

Maybe it's because you sleep very well with Andy Dalton as QB, just as the rest of us do, and if he were replaced by Mettenberger you'd worry about that 3AM phone call informing you that the new face of the franchise was wasted and had just groped another waitress.

Aha.. Well, so long as we're focused on the important stuff.  Who cares about a little sexual battery when he can bomb it 60 yards downfield into double-coverage?

Funnier still, despite the elite arm strength nobody claims Mettenberger is an elite athlete. He's a virtual statue in the pocket and a plodder when he tries to escape it.

Aha.. Well, so long as we're focused on the important stuff.  Who cares about a little sexual battery when he can bomb it 60 yards downfield into double-coverage?

Some Bengal fans loved them some Henry for catching the bombs, why not love a guy that can throw them. PAC loves some off the field drama and he prevents the bombs.

That said the Bama QB would be my choice.

Some Bengal fans loved them some Henry for catching the bombs, why not love a guy that can throw them. PAC loves some off the field drama and he prevents the bombs.

That said the Bama QB would be my choice.

Did I miss the part where Henry and/or Jones admitted to a sex crime?

LOL.

Are you talking about the Nick Foles who drove the Eagles down the field 77 yards in the fourth quarter of their playoff game against the Saints to take the lead?    The Saints won that game on the next drive on a last second field goal.

Same QB that has 1 more TD pass in only ONE playoff game than Andy has in 3?

Same QB that helped generate 17 SECOND half points in his first playoff game?  That is 11 more than Andy has produced in 3 games.

Guy that had NO turnovers in his only playoff game?  

Guy with a 119 QB rating, 27 tds and only 2 ints last year?  

Are you kidding? Dalton has more experience than Foles but hasn't been able to translate it into better production. Foles started 6 games in 2012 and 10 more in 2013. He improved markedly from year 1 to year 2. Dalton didn't. The Bengals offense is designed around Dalton. The Eagles offense was designed around Vick but Foles outplayed him.

Dalton's last 16 starts: 4293 yrds, 61.9%, 7.3 ypa 33 TDs, 20 INTs, 88.8 rating, 183 rushing yrds, 3.0 ypc, 2 TDs, 3 fumbles

Fole's career stats with 16 starts: 4590 yrds, 62.5%, 7.9 ypa, 33 TDs, 7 INTs, 101.0 rating, 263 rushing yrds, 3.9 ypc, 4 TDs, 5 fumbles

There's no chance the Eagles would trade Foles for Dalton straight up, no matter how much the Bengals begged.

Edit: I was using regular season stats for Foles and Dalton. Using postseason stats just makes it more lopsided.

Yeah, I don't get the mad love for Savage.  Wasn't that long ago he was a 5th round pick.

'Tom Terrific' part 2? 16hr Patriots target Tom Bradys replacement
By BRENT SOBLESKI

Pittsburgh Panthers quarterback Tom Savage passes under protection by offensive linesman Juantez Hollins against the North Carolina Tar Heels at Heinz Field. (Charles LeClaire USA TODAY Sports)

Mays NFL draft could be a turning point for the New England Patriots. It could be the point where the Patriots find their successor for future Hall of Fame QB Tom Brady.

Pitts Tom Savage appears to be one of the Patriots top targets, according to DraftInsider.nets Tony Pauline.

Ever since the combine Ive known the New England Patriots have been incredibly high on Savage and will consider using a pick to acquire the signal caller during the draft. Some in the organization are now referring to Savage as Tom #2′, with Tom #1 of course being Tom Brady. Im told Savage impressed the franchise during combine interviews, especially when former Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano was on hand. Evidently Savage took responsibility for the 2011 situation when he left the Rutgers football program, which was then headed by Schiano.

Brady will turn 37 in August. Current backup QB Ryan Mallett is a free agent after this season. The organization, meanwhile, has spent the past month intently studying the quarterbacks in this years draft. Louisvilles Teddy Bridgewater and Texas A&Ms Johnny Manziel even visited the team April 2.

Savage is the one player whose stock has risen the most since the end of the college football season. Savages big arm, prototypical frame and improved play during the second half of his senior season have many intrigued. Savage was once considered a late-round option. Hes now realistically being considered in the second round.

Its even unlikely Savage will last until the Patriots are on the clock in the second round with the 62nd pick.

Either the Patriots will consider him with the 29th overall pick or attempt to trade out of the first round like they seemingly do every year to acquire Savage.

Archived