Andy Dalton wants to get paid like franchise QB

1398098077000-USATSI-7655380-114803983-l

Andy Dalton spoke with the media on the first day of the offseason workout program Monday. The quarterback who rarely touches on controversial spoke openly about his ongoing contract negotiations with the Bengals.

The two sides have met and discussed terms, but not made much headway.

Dalton didn't shy away from talking about the abundance of critics that keep "finding ways to tear me down," and spoke about viewing himself as the face of the franchise.

He talked for the first time about the concept of rebuffing any extension offers and playing out the final year of his contract, much like Joe Flacco did the year he won the Super Bowl and cashed it in for six years and $120 million.

Here are a few of the most interesting quotes from the session with Dalton:

Dalton on critics and idea of playing with a chip on your shoulder while playing out the contract:

"Well, I'm very confident in what I've done. The people who are the critics, they look at all of the negatives. They don't look at all of the stuff that I've accomplished. They don't look at that I'm one of three quarterbacks in the history of the NFL to do certain things. They don't look at that kind of stuff. They want to find ways to tear me down but I'm not worried about that. They can say whatever they want. All that matters is what everyone believes in this organization and what I believe in myself. That's how I go about my business."

Dalton on if he would be comfortable playing out the final year of his contract as Joe Flacco did with Baltimore:

"There's obviously some risk when that goes on, but I am confident in everything that I have been able to do and what I am going to do this year. If it comes to that then it comes to that but I think both sides want to get it done. So, hopefully it happens."

Dalton on approaching the Bengals with his view of his market value:

"That's what both sides have to do. We are obviously bringing, comparing guys in their first three years, guys what they have done, guys what they are doing now and presenting them with stuff. That is how we have come up with what we are wanting. I'm not too worried about everything, though. I let them handle all that."

On the increasingly large amount of money given to quarterbacks:

"It is a lot of money. That's just the league. It's a quarterback-driven league, so quarterbacks get rewarded a lot of money. But for a lot of these quarterbacks, if you're the quarterback of the team you're the face of the franchise. These teams obviously believe in their guy so they're going to pay them that way."

On if he views himself as the face of the franchise:

"I do. I feel like in everything that Marvin has said, that Hue has said and everybody here has told me that and has told everybody that. I'm confident with that. I hope to spend a lot of career here. Like I said, hopefully we can get something done."

On Marvin Lewis vocally supporting him:

"It means a lot. Not only for Marvin to be saying it but when Hue takes over as offensive coordinator he's been saying it. I get a lot of confidence every time I sit down with Hue and just talking with him and how supportive he's been of me. I feel like I've done a lot since being here to earn that trust, to earn that support so it feels good."

On the possibility of a quarterback being drafted:

"I think there's been a lot of talk of they're going to draft a quarterback but they're not bringing in a quarterback to replace me. So I think I've read something where we've never drafted a quarterback to be the backup, or I've heard it's been a long time since we've done that, so I think that's what they're planning on doing but I have no idea."

Andy Dalton wants to get paid like franchise QB

Andy Dalton's future with the Cincinnati Bengals continues to be an offseason issue.

The quarterback enters the final year of his rookie contract having taken his team to three straight playoff games -- in which he played miserably on each occasion. Owner Mike Brown called the decision to give Dalton a big contract a dilemma earlier this offseason.

The signal-caller said Monday he believes he should get paid like the face of the franchise. 

"It's a quarterback-driven league, so quarterbacks get rewarded a lot of money," Dalton said per ESPN.com. "For a lot of these quarterbacks, if you're the quarterback of the team, you're the face of the franchise. So these teams obviously believe in their guy and they're going to pay him that way."

Dalton said during negotiations his camp is comparing his first three years with those of other franchise quarterbacks.

"(Joe) Flacco, (Aaron) Rodgers, (Drew) Brees. Who else is up there? Matt Ryan," he said laughing, when asked who is the best comparison, per the team's official website.

Those four are among the highest-paid players in the NFL, so while perhaps he was being a bit cheeky, it's clear he doesn't want to give Brown a discount at quarterback  

Dalton said he understands the risk vs. reward of playing out the final year of his contract.

"There's obviously some risk when that goes on, but I am confident in everything that I have been able to do and what I am going to do this year," he said, per the Cincinnati Enquirer. "If it comes to that then it comes to that, but I think both sides want to get it done. So, hopefully it happens."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000342555/article/andy-dalton-wants-to-get-paid-like-franchise-qb

I was holding out hope that he was going to be reasonable, and be one of those rare guys that is more interested in legacy than inflated cash rewards.  A smart QB realizes that the best way to Canton is by winning league championships and in a salary capped league the best way to ensure that is by ensuring you have a complete football team around you and on the other side of the ball.

It may have been hamhandedly done, but this was the message Marvin was trying to get out a few weeks ago with the unfortunate "getting maimed" comment he made to the press.

I have been thinking that an Andy Dalton was in a way, a perfect QB to have in this league.. A guy you can win with, but who won't command the kind of money that will cripple your ability to field a complete and balanced football team.  If he wants to be paid like a top 5 QB then I think we should let someone else give it to him.

FWIW nowhere in this interview does Dalton say "I want to be paid like a franchise QB."

He doesn't come right out and say that.. But he does seem to intimate that he is looking for a pay day similar to other franchise QB's. Lets just say this interview gave me pause.

FWIW nowhere in this interview does Dalton say "I want to be paid like a franchise QB."

I just copied and pasted. But yes you are right. However, there is a reason for the headline. He does mention that the Bengals will look at players that did what he did in their first 3 years and how they get paid now, Basically, it is true. He wants to be paid according to his resume and what he has accomplished so far. He doesn't want second round money.

He doesn't come right out and say that.. But he does seem to intimate that he is looking for a pay day similar to other franchise QB's. Lets just say this interview gave me pause.

Seems to me that he's commenting in general on the explosion in QB salaries, which is not unique to his situation. He'll end up with a deal that's fair with respect to the market, but nobody here is going to like it because the market is going wild. IMO, after the next 4 or 5 big QB deals on the horizon, Dalton's deal is going to look like a bargain.

To add to this, IMO the Bengals would pay AJ first big money before they do Andy. It would be easier for them to draft another QB in the second round and pay him less. Once again it's just my 2 cents. 

I know everyone loves AJ, but I am just as hesitant to give huge money to Green as I am Dalton... I just don't think the position warrants it unless you have a total freak of nature like Calvin Johnson (which AJ just isn't IMO).

Seems to me that he's commenting in general on the explosion in QB salaries, which is not unique to his situation. He'll end up with a deal that's fair with respect to the market, but nobody here is going to like it because the market is going wild. IMO, after the next 4 or 5 big QB deals on the horizon, Dalton's deal is going to look like a bargain.

Not if he is fumbling his way out of the playoffs

I know everyone loves AJ, but I am just as hesitant to give huge money to Green as I am Dalton... I just don't think the position warrants it unless you have a total freak of nature like Calvin Johnson (which AJ just isn't IMO).

AJ is atleast in the family of total freaks of nature. Dalton's not a top 10 QB. 

Not if he is fumbling his way out of the playoffs

AJ is atleast in the family of total freaks of nature. Dalton's not a top 10 QB. 

Not really.  Dalton is just as close to top 10 as AJ is to Megatron.. (almost)

Ginger Dreams and Stranger Thins

Yes, he has put up some gaudy numbers, but Franchise QB's step up when the lights shine brightest.  We've seen far too little of it from AD.  More than a little of his success can be attributed to an excellent defense.

I'm not saying that Dalton is not capable of taking the next step  - just saying he hasn't yet and shouldn't be paid like a Franchise QB until he shows he is one.  Paying Dalton anywhere near Flacco money at this juncture would be monumentally stupid, IMO.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree just letting you know what I think the Bengals will do. 

I'm not saying I agree or disagree just letting you know what I think the Bengals will do. 

You are probably right. And to be honest they have a much better idea about what their revenue will be like in the upcoming years and how they are going to manage the cap.  So really my opinion is worth just about as much as the ether I typed it in.

much ado about nothing, and probably partly in jest.  Not sure why people are making a deal out of it.

It's all just posturing.  Of course he's going to say what he did, even if he doesn't believe it himself.  It's just a negotiating tactic.

I'm not sure why you are surprised people are reacting to it.. He put it out there.  There are many ways he could have handled it.  He could have simply deferred to his agent.  The fact he is posturing to the media tells me he (or his agent) doesn't feel the Bengals are close enough with whatever numbers they have offered.  Now I have nothing official of course, but if the numbers I have heard are in the ball park this makes me concerned because the numbers I have heard seem about right (obviously with room for a little wiggle).

This isn't your 80s NFL. There was a lot bullshit posted prior to drafting AJ Green about what Bill Walsh always did.

We saw first hand when an elite WR went south it took down a large part of the offense. Chad did that to himself. TJ wad the final straw.

If AJ comes out and wants top WR money that makes sense.

I don't care what side of the Dalton Fence you are on. People build this around post season success. Don't make the same dumb mistake the Ravens did because their QB got hot in the right season and as a result probably has what amounts to two decent starters in excess on his cap hit.

Andy doesn't display the arm, the deep ball accuracy, the underneath accuracy to command anything more than mid tier QB in relation to cap hit. Right now I would guess that to be in 8-10 mil range.

You really need to start asking the alternative route about how hard it is to replace Dalton's skill with a rookie cap hit or the realization these mid tier cap sucking Qbs could become available in future seasons.

AJ comes to the table wanting top WR money, give it. You can't get drama free WR freaks that easily.

much ado about nothing, and probably partly in jest.  Not sure why people are making a deal out of it.

It's all just posturing.  Of course he's going to say what he did, even if he doesn't believe it himself.  It's just a negotiating tactic.

Until they burn a higher draft pick on a QB.

We know for a fact we might not have Gio if not for some last minute Andre Smith negotiations.

Clearly shows bengals allow that in the process of selection.

4 ways this could play out, listed from most likely to least likely:
1. Dalton gets paid franchise money and continues to improve.
2. Dalton gets paid franchise money and stays the same or regresses.
3. Dalton walks and a 2014 draft pick starts and is a downgrade.
4. Dalton walks and a 2014 draft pick starts and is an upgrade.

Not really.  Dalton is just as close to top 10 as AJ is to Megatron.. (almost)

I think AJ is pretty close to Calvin in terms of overall talent. What he is not is as big. But I do think Hue will push AJ in a way Gruden never did and I expect AJ to have a monster year (proportional to his targets).

Archived