huber140120_630.jpg

Kevin Huber is pointing to full-fledged punting sessions soon.

Usually Kevin Huber is back punting in late March. His only concession to last year’s horrific season-ending broken jaw in Pittsburgh is that he has yet to have a full kicking session. He’ll be surprised if he won’t be having those next month when the Bengals take their voluntary workouts to the field.

“I'm pretty much doing most stuff. There's some restrictions lifting wise, but outside of that I'm doing pretty close to most stuff. I'm just holding back on a few things until everything is fully cleared,” Huber said Monday, the first day of voluntary workouts at Paul Brown Stadium. “I'm able to do some kicking now. I've started getting back into swinging the leg some. I haven't had full kicking sessions yet, but I'm going to start trying to get back into that here pretty soon.”

Huber is still playing down the Dec. 15 block by Steelers rookie linebacker Terence Garvin that not only broke his jaw, but left him with a hairline fracture of the cervical vertebrae. Not to mention Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown’s 67-yard kick return for a touchdown.  He said Garvin did leave a voice mail on his cell phone when he was in surgery, but he texted Garvin back and said not to worry about it. It was a clean, good football shot. But he won’t be wary of mixing it up again, thanks to special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons.

“(Garvin) didn't have to. I sent him a text back said I appreciate the call, “Huber said. “I'm sure I'm going to have to be (an active tackler) because otherwise Darrin will probably yell at me. Not that I was very active to begin with. I don't have very many tackles in my stat book, but I'll still try.”

Huber’s jaw was wired shut long enough  to lose 15 pounds, but he’s been freed from the wires for about four month, enough time to put weight back on. He celebrated his first solid food with a cheeseburger, but he remembers what he was feeling. He tweeted his best wishes to Reds closer Aroldis Chapman after he was felled by a line shot back to the mound last month that broke facial bones.

“I sent that out because I went through something like that and it's tough to see someone go through that,” Huber said. “The guy not too long ago that got hit in the face with a fastball, I saw that too. He got beat up pretty bad with that. It's tough to see something like that happen. Sounds like Chapman's coming back pretty strong. I saw he was in the bullpen the other day. So hopefully he can come back and be pitching again soon.”

SLANTS AND SCREENS: Three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green says he’s put on six pounds to 214, mostly in the upper body. He says he’d like to get more physical as a way to beat coverage at the line of scrimmage…

The Bengals are getting two new coordinators and yet players couldn’t talk to them until Monday, per the collective bargaining agreement. Like Hue Jackson’s offense, the Bengals aren’t making many major changes on Paul Guenther’s defense.

But left end Carlos Dunlap still thought it was a little odd he could only learn about the defense when he bumped in into some coaches in the weight room, where there were only vague generalities at best. Dunlap spent most of his offseason working out in Florida, but when he worked out for three days at PBS, he couldn’t do it under the guidance of the strength staff.

“You can't sit in a meeting, but I saw (a couple of coaches). A lot of coaches, during the offseason that's when they get their workouts and their beach bodies or whatever you want to call it,” Dunlap said. “So I was here for three days and I wanted to get some workouts in so I was working out here while I was in town.” …

Wide receiver Marvin Jones lived most of the offseason in Cincinnati and spent some of it coaching his son’s five-year-old basketball team. He did get back to California to marry his long-time girlfriend, so on Monday the honeymoon was really over.

“It’s not necessarily (like) the first day of school,” Jones said. “If you would have told me this last year, it’s ‘Oh my gosh, I can’t wait to get back.’ But now, we’re all familiar with each other and we’re just glad that everybody’s back and we can go and start training and start having fun.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Healthy-Huber-chews-the-fat--/6bcc28c8-4ed3-4dec-8d0b-8f16fa7cb1d1

After his 3rd straight playoff choke job, he should probably just keep his fucking mouth shut. 

I see better than I hear!

Seems likely that the starting qb wouldn't say a word all offseason. He's the leader of this team of course he is going to get interviewed and talk with high hopes.

After his 3rd straight playoff choke job, he should probably just keep his fucking mouth shut. 

I see better than I hear!

C'mon... I get it that people don't love Dalton, but for fuck's sake.  To bitch about every word that he says is a bit much.  

Think about it... and I realize u are just spewing your disgust with the guy, but if he really did keep his mouth shut, he would look like a fucking spoiled little child.

I think if they put in place the proper incentives  (aka win a damn playoff game and beyond to get bonuses), he would be able to "bet on himself" and still get paid well.  He is f'in nuts if he thinks because he has good stats that he should get paid a top 5 QB salary.

YOU HAVE TO WIN.

...then you get overpaid like Flacco.         

dalton140120-1_630.jpg

Andy Dalton knows he's running into the biggest year of his career. Is it a crossroads?

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis’ new T-Shirt slogan says, “Challenge the Moment.” It’s almost like it was custom made for his quarterback Andy Dalton, but the rest of his roster seeking a breakout year in the postseason also has plenty of challenges:

_For the first time in the A.J. Green-Dalton Era, there is a new man calling plays in offensive coordinator Hue Jackson. With Mike Zimmer gone, this is the guy that is going to supply the no-nonsense-salt-and-vinegar to preparation and practices. And Dalton knows the demanding Jackson is going to get in everyone’s face on offense with a different demeanor than predecessor Jay Gruden.

“I think he’s going to push guys. There are some guys that haven’t been pushed as much vocally before,”  Dalton said Monday as the shirt hung behind him in his locker.  “Jay had a different style than what Hue is going to bring. Guys are just going to have to get used to how Hue does things. Obviously, we haven’t been out to practice yet so I don’t know exactly what it’s going to be like with Hue running everything now but it is going to be a little different than Jay. 

“I’m sure I’m part of it.  I’m sure Hue is going to be very vocal with me.  I am no exception out there. I am one like everybody else. I think it’s going to be good for us. “

_While Dalton has quarterbacked the Bengals to three straight playoff appearances, a top ten defense was the heart of the run and the soul of it, Zimmer, is now the head coach in Minnesota. And one of the leaders, right end Michael Johnson, is in Tampa.

But nose tackle Domata Peko, the de facto defensive captain in his ninth season, shares the faith the defense has in new coordinator Paul Guenther. Last week, cornerback Adam Jones talked about how involved Guenther had been in game planning as the linebackers coach and on Monday left end Carlos Dunlap talked about how he worked with the defensive line and coach Jay Hayes  in coordinating the pass rush and drops.

“We’re going to be fine. We’re just going to do what we’ve been doing, relying on each other and working hard and giving our best effort,” Peko said. “I think we have all the tools. We’re going to miss Zimmer a lot. He’s a hell of a coach and I love Zimmer. But it’s time to move up and Paulie G. is going to do a hell of a job with us. Our defensive line is one of the groups that leads this team, that makes this team go round. If we continue to do what we’ve been doing, we’re going to be fine.”

_For the first time since the Re-Boot of 2011, internal contracts are an issue. Peko agreed to what amounted to a three-year extension last month. At about the same time, Bengals president Mike Brown and Lewis said they’re trying to sign Dalton before the season so the subject doesn’t fester. On Monday, they officially exercised the fifth-year option on three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green for 2015. They also want to do a deal with Pro Bowl linebacker Vontaze Burfict before he’s up after this season.

The Bengals made a clean sweep of about a dozen of their own starters and regulars they needed to sign last season, but that was all done before everybody got together for workouts.

“A lot of guys don’t talk about when they’re negotiating deals. It’s a private thing,” said Peko, who continues to make about $5 million per year as the anchor of one of the best fronts in the game. “You keep it to yourself, between you and your agent. But I know that Andy, A.J. and Vontaze deserve to get paid. I can’t wait to see when they sign their deals. It will be awesome. It’s good for our team because they’re a big part of our team. We want to make sure we keep these guys locked down because they’re hell of players.”

This hasn’t exactly been a combustible locker room so it remains to be seen how they handle this next step in the maturation process. On Monday, they’ve done what they’ve done since they’ve won 30 games the last three years and said all the right things.

“I guarantee you everybody here isn’t thinking about my contract. I am not worried about it,” Dalton said. “When it happens it is going to happen. I can’t worry about it. I am not in control of that right now. I don’t think it’s on the minds of everybody right now.”

_The contract talks revolving around Dalton carried Monday’s headlines and why not? There’s no obvious number to pay the guy. Everybody can get on a soap box and not be wrong. He’s accomplished more than any other Bengals quarterback in his three seasons and only Dan Martino and Peyton Manning have thrown more touchdown passes in their first three seasons.

But he has also been the beneficiary of a top 10 defense, has been up and down in big moments, and threw 20 picks last year.

So the contract year and the 0-3 playoff record have intersected to form a natural crossroads season that Dalton understands.

“This is a big year. Just from the standpoint of okay, now I’ve been through it three times now. I’ve played well. I’ve been to the playoffs. Obviously the playoffs haven’t gone well for us but it’s not just me,” Dalton said. “There’s a lot of guys that are here, a lot of guys that we’ve had a taste of what could be and now it’s time to really go take advantage of it.

“I’m not only one who thinks that. It’s not just me here that believes that, who thinks that and who has been through it all. Obviously, being the quarterback I’m the one who will get talked about a lot but there is a lot of guys who want to accomplish a lot more than what we’ve done. That’s what we need to have on this team.”

On Monday, Dalton talked about the challenges of keeping his team in games by passing up the temptation to make the big throw in order for something less risky. While the taste of the stunning home playoff loss to San Diego lingers, Dalton’s eyes have felt plenty, too.

“I’ve watched it several times. We had chances in the game. Obviously the turnovers killed us,” Dalton said. “I wish I would have done some things differently in the game. It didn’t turn out that way. You got to take the good things that happened last season and improve on them.

“You have to understand having the ball in your possession you have to take pride in that. You don’t want to give the other team a chance to have it more. Protecting the ball is going to be big. It’s going to be a big emphasis for me, a big emphasis for this offense. If you are holding the ball you have a better chance of winning the game. “

That has long been one of Lewis’ principles and he’s banking on Jackson, a long-time confidant, to make sure ball control means just as much as scoring.  Lewis wasn’t there to expound on his T-Shirt when the Bengals arrived Monday because he’s attending his father’s funeral service Tuesday morning back home in McDonald, Pa. But head strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton gave them a pretty good idea.

“All of our goals are eventually to go to the Super Bowl. What Chip was saying was cutting it down into moments,” Peko said. “For example, this moment, working out, making the most out of this. Challenging yourself in this particular moment. Then we get to (on-field activities) and challenging yourself in that moment, and then cutting it down more. Eventually when you do those little things right, that takes you to the main prize.”

In this big year, Dalton also thinks the T-shirt means the little things.

“You want to find a way to be one percent better every day. I think there’s a lot of different stuff that we touched on in there when we met with the strength coaches,” Dalton said. “Every little thing that we’re doing in there, yeah, we may not have done it before. We may not have a full understanding of it, but try to do it to the best of your ability because in that moment it’s going to make you better. I think that’s kind of what challenge the moment means. I think it will kind of grow with getting everybody back and the different experiences we’ll have throughout this offseason I think it mold what exactly what that means, too.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Momentous-moment/63459433-d0ae-4103-be55-a947dd8b002b

• 3 weeks later...

so there's been mixed feelings around the league about the draft being pushed back because of the scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall.

Some teams like it because they get extra time with their guys, but others don't because you lose time with the rookies as Rookie Minicamp basically is gone.  

For draft purposes, I do think it helps some.  Of course you get more time to do prep work for the draft, but something no one's talking about:

You also get more time with the guys you just signed, which helps you get a better idea of how big some of your needs are.  How valuable has the last two weeks been for the Bengals when evaluating DE Sam Montgomery and DE Dontay Moch?  the progress of Onterrio McCalebb and Cobi Hamilton?

Uhhh ok.
This is the start to the season for the players. When was it supposed to start?

as soon as the regular season ends. thats when the season is over with dalton under center. so i guess he should start preparing then. lets be honest, does he relaly need to prepare to buckle under pressure? it seems to come pretty naturally..

then again its not just the playoffs, its the division and primetime too... hmm..

so i guess the question isnt really when does it start.. its when does this nightmare finally END?

not soon enough... thats when..

cant WAIT to go .500 in the division getting cheap wins at the end of the season against backups to limp into another playoff embarrassment..

ahhh a new season..  *cracks knuckles*

as soon as the regular season ends. thats when the season is over with dalton under center. so i guess he should start preparing then. lets be honest, does he relaly need to prepare to buckle under pressure? it seems to come pretty naturally..

then again its not just the playoffs, its the division and primetime too... hmm..

so i guess the question isnt really when does it start.. its when does this nightmare finally END?

cant WAIT to go .500 in the division getting cheap wins at the end of the season against backups to limp into another playoff embarrassment..

You really should give up.

giphy.gif

Can you be a fan of a team you hate? It's seems like half the people hear never have anything good to say.

Its just the emo craze that kids are into these days.  I see them dressing in black and painting little tiger striped tears on their face and drinking mocha lattes.

Can you be a fan of a team you hate? It's seems like half the people hear never have anything good to say.

The Bratkowski thread was a nuclear disaster that made some people quite toxic. Every explosion since has spread and re-intensified the radiation levels.

You mad bro???

I have asked that question more than once. The usual response boils down to it being some kind of family blood oath type shit or tribal affiliation in which they have no choice, and this is where they come to host their pity-parties. Mocha lattes are fuckin delicious, though.

Cue someone talking about their "rights" like they're Medgar Evers in 3.. 2..

Archived