I am a fan of Andy Dalton. I'm very comfortable assuming the 4th year of Dalton (4YD) will be better than the 3rd year of Dalton (3YD) because the 3rd year of Dalton was better than the 2nd year of Dalton (2YD) and the 2nd year of Dalton was better than the 1st year of Dalton (1YD). Including playoff games.

Growth.

Just hope he's developed some more backbone to go along with his growth.

Just hope he's developed some more backbone to go along with his growth.

I truly don't think backbone is an issue. In the last playoff game, I think you see the whole team playing well until the Gio fumble. After that, it just looks like each guy kept trying to do a little more than was called for, and destroyed the team flow in the process. A collective loss of teamwork speaks to coaching, in my opinion. Coaches who panic wind up with players who panic, especially young players.

My hope is that Hue and Guenther can find ways to keep their guys focused in tough moments. I don't think Jay did that. I think he called some weird ass 'swing for the fences' plays that seemed just as panicked as the play on the field.

I know its just OTAs, but the more and more I hear about Hue, the more I think he is going to be the best thing that happened to us this offseason. This offense needed a zimmeresque guy to hold guys accountable, demand perfection, etc. and it seems like Hue is that guy. I wouldnt be surprised if Andy and AJ have their best seasons yet. Maybe not in total yardage for AJ, but in drops, effort, fighting for balls, being a leader, etc. I think Hue is going to take both guys to the next level.

We shall see though, but i am definitely excited.

yea he jumped down their shit yesterday for not getting out of the huddle quick enough.  During an OTA.  In June.  

I truly don't think backbone is an issue. In the last playoff game, I think you see the whole team playing well until the Gio fumble. After that, it just looks like each guy kept trying to do a little more than was called for, and destroyed the team flow in the process. A collective loss of teamwork speaks to coaching, in my opinion. Coaches who panic wind up with players who panic, especially young players.

My hope is that Hue and Guenther can find ways to keep their guys focused in tough moments. I don't think Jay did that. I think he called some weird ass 'swing for the fences' plays that seemed just as panicked as the play on the field.

yea things kind of fall apart in the 2nd half when they abandon the run and the pass protection falls apart.  They open the 3rd quarter with runs of I think 5 and 7 yards, and then Green Ellis doesn't touch the ball for the rest of the game.  Pass pro got ugly in the 2nd half, particularly by Zeitler, Smith and Gio.  

I still kind of wonder how much impact 3 starting OL getting injured (all lower leg injuries) the week before against Baltimore had.

Immediately after the fumble we forced a 3 and out and then had a mid length drive to finish the half with a FG. Then we had a decent start to our first 2nd half offensive drive blown up by bad pass pro. Then the D let SD march down the field and things unraveled. I'm not sure how you can trace bad play in the second half to a fumble that happened with 2 minutes to go in the first half after which we played quite well on offense and defense to finish the half.

Immediately after the fumble we forced a 3 and out and then had a mid length drive to finish the half with a FG. Then we had a decent start to our first 2nd half offensive drive blown up by bad pass pro. Then the D let SD march down the field and things unraveled. I'm not sure how you can trace bad play in the second half to a fumble that happened with 2 minutes to go in the first half after which we played quite well on offense and defense to finish the half.

It's just the sense I got from watching the game. The fans were agitated (not just in the stands. bathroom conversation was way different at half time than after the first quarter), the players on the sidelines looked different, and I think the guys on the field were losing cohesiveness. I don't have a stat or drive chart to point to. It was an energy thing. It seemed like they had lost the confidence they would win the game, and started worrying about losing the game.

It's just the sense I got from watching the game. The fans were agitated (not just in the stands. bathroom conversation was way different at half time than after the first quarter), the players on the sidelines looked different, and I think the guys on the field were losing cohesiveness. I don't have a stat or drive chart to point to. It was an energy thing. It seemed like they had lost the confidence they would win the game, and started worrying about losing the game.

That's certainly possible. I wasn't there, so I couldn't really see that stuff. Does seem like the Marvin Lewis led Bengals have a tendency to let one bad play snowball. I hoped the defensive stop and subsequent FG had stopped the bleeding of the fumble, but maybe not.

Good points mongo. It really does start at the top with Marvin. I like him and think he continues to get better.Is there some sort of coaching for coaches out there?Serious question. He is always seems un panicked and laid back so I don't understand why the team would panic..Maybe he needs to micromanage play calling at times??...

earlier in the spring the Bengals timed every player in the 20yd dash.  2nd fastest timed player?

Terrence Newman

Newman and Taze are my favorite defensive players.   Newman has been nothing but a true professional since coming here and was a HUGE find for us in FA.  He must have one hell of an off season trainer and serious dedication to continue to be in such excellent shape.

I agree with this, it seems the only people who try to use Gio's first half fumble as a reason why we lost the playoff game are the same ones that try to deflect blame from Dalton. 

The game was very competitive until Dalton fumbled the ball without being touched in the middle of the third quarter, from there the offense turned the ball over 2 more times and turned the ball over on downs 2 other times. That's effectively 5 turnovers in the second half.

When the QB fumbles, throws two int's, and can get a first down on 2 other drives in the second half of a playoff game I don't see how a turnover in the first half can be the point at which game got out of hand. 

I agree with this, it seems the only people who try to use Gio's first half fumble as a reason why we lost the playoff game are the same ones that try to deflect blame from Dalton. 

The game was very competitive until Dalton fumbled the ball without being touched in the middle of the third quarter, from there the offense turned the ball over 2 more times and turned the ball over on downs 2 other times. That's effectively 5 turnovers in the second half.

When the QB fumbles, throws two int's, and can get a first down on 2 other drives in the second half of a playoff game I don't see how a turnover in the first half can be the point at which game got out of hand. 

Funny, we see the fumble the same way but have totally different views of the rest of the game. No way the #3 defense, fully rested from halftime should let SD waltz down the field for an 80 yard TD. That was their chance to completely take over that game and all the momentum and they played like shit. They had seized those moments all year at home and they shrunk. SD had confidence from there and Dalton just helped them build on it. How much different does that game look if the defense forces a turnover there?

The second half turnovers are on dalton.

Not able to get a first down or points are on the oline. If you don't believe me go watch the third quarter again. Oline was not letting us do shit.

Punts would have been better than turnovers for sure though.

Funny, we see the fumble the same way but have totally different views of the rest of the game. No way the #3 defense, fully rested from halftime should let SD waltz down the field for an 80 yard TD. That was their chance to completely take over that game and all the momentum and they played like shit. They had seized those moments all year at home and they shrunk. SD had confidence from there and Dalton just helped them build on it. How much different does that game look if the defense forces a turnover there?

As always it's a combo of things. The momentum changed due to several things including but not limited to the fumble, getting pressured on 2nd and 3rd down on our first offensive drive and forcing a punt, punting the ball through the endZone, and then giving up an 80 yard td drive.

All those things shifted momentum but the game was still well in reach. Oline continued to suck for the next two drives but Dalton's turnovers put the nail in the coffin.

Hue Jackson is my biggest reason (hope) to think this year won't be more of the same (good in the regular season, early playoff exit). I agree with whoever said that he may be the Zimmer of the offense, the guy that gets guys like AJ, Gio  and Andy to really elevate themselves and work at being great. I think there is some untapped potential and accessing that is the key to taking the next step IMO.

Hue Jackson is my biggest reason (hope) to think this year won't be more of the same (good in the regular season, early playoff exit). I agree with whoever said that he may be the Zimmer of the offense, the guy that gets guys like AJ, Gio  and Andy to really elevate themselves and work at being great. I think there is some untapped potential and accessing that is the key to taking the next step IMO.

Completely agree.

I just think he brings a fire that jay didnt really have. 

Interesting comments by AJ about the offense starting with the vertical and working from there.

Archived