The team certainly is not better without him, as we witnessed vs Baltimore last year when the offense did nothing in his absence.   Everone was clamoring for him to come back ASAP because the offense looked inept.  

He's a huge part of the offense and what the Bengals (like to) do. 

Not sure if the Baltimore is a good example, since the offense struggles against all divisional opponents. If the offense struggles with or without him...

Not sure if the Baltimore is a good example, since the offense struggles against all divisional opponents. If the offense struggles with or without him...

The Baltimore game was another level of struggle though.  The offense did practically nothing and looked bad in doing nothing.   I guess my overall point is that Gresham is more of a solution than a problem IMO. 

The team certainly is not better without him, as we witnessed vs Baltimore last year when the offense did nothing in his absence.   Everone was clamoring for him to come back ASAP because the offense looked inept.  

He's a huge part of the offense and what the Bengals (like to) do. 

He was also the single biggest contributor to the 2nd WC loss vs the Texans & is still making rookie mistakes after how many years now? Some of what you said is true, I just find it amusing that you'd come running to his rescue (of all ppl) considering the lofty standards by which you judge everyone else.

Not worried about Gresham missing a day of OTAs though he should let the coaches know if he's not going to be there. He has every right to skip it and the coaches have every right to make Eifert the #1 TE. Out in San Fran, Alex Boone skipped OTAs in a contract dispute. 

Has Dennard been participating in OTAs?

Not worried about Gresham missing a day of OTAs though he should let the coaches know if he's not going to be there. He has every right to skip it and the coaches have every right to make Eifert the #1 TE. Out in San Fran, Alex Boone skipped OTAs in a contract dispute. 

Didn't hear if he participated but they did interview him today at PBS and he was talking about how excited he was to go up against AJ.

DENNARDS DAY: Darqueze Dennard showed why the Bengals made him the 24thpick in the draft a few weeks ago. He certainly belonged on Tuesday as he worked opposite the most recent first-round corner, Dre Kirkpatrick of the class of 2012. They backed up the first group of Terence Newman and Adam Jones.
Usually rookies have to adjust to the faster pace of the pros. But during practice he found himself trying to slow down.

Its not the speed thats the problem, said Dennard of the adjustment. Its trying not to over think things or try to do too much. Just to make sure youre doing it right. I just have to slow down.

I slowly got comfortable, he said. I really got comfortable at the end.

Dennard played in the slot some, a spot where he might be able to make an immediate impact as Hall, the No. 1 slot corner, tries to make a second Achilles comeback in two years. Since he comes out of a versatile scheme at Michigan State, Dennard says his biggest adjustment has been learning the language.

Just the different terminology, he said.

He was also the single biggest contributor to the 2nd WC loss vs the Texans & is still making rookie mistakes after how many years now? Some of what you said is true, I just find it amusing that you'd come running to his rescue (of all ppl) considering the lofty standards by which you judge everyone else.

No......we're talking about Gresham, not Dalton. 

I'm a little surprised you're not generating all possible excuses for Gresham, considering the lack of standards by which you judge everyone else. 

And if nothing else, I am amusing.

Yes, Dennard did participate today. 

DENNARDS DAY: Darqueze Dennard showed why the Bengals made him the 24thpick in the draft a few weeks ago. He certainly belonged on Tuesday as he worked opposite the most recent first-round corner, Dre Kirkpatrick of the class of 2012. They backed up the first group of Terence Newman and Adam Jones.
Usually rookies have to adjust to the faster pace of the pros. But during practice he found himself trying to slow down.

Its not the speed thats the problem, said Dennard of the adjustment. Its trying not to over think things or try to do too much. Just to make sure youre doing it right. I just have to slow down.

I slowly got comfortable, he said. I really got comfortable at the end.

Dennard played in the slot some, a spot where he might be able to make an immediate impact as Hall, the No. 1 slot corner, tries to make a second Achilles comeback in two years. Since he comes out of a versatile scheme at Michigan State, Dennard says his biggest adjustment has been learning the language.

Just the different terminology, he said.

this pick might just end up being one of the best of the steals in the last few year....

love hearing this shit...

No......we're talking about Gresham, not Dalton. 

I'm a little surprised you're not generating all possible excuses for Gresham, considering the lack of standards by which you judge everyone else. 

And if nothing else, I am amusing.

Yes, Dennard did participate today. 

So Gresham can stink up a playoff game but he's an integral part of the offense. Got it. Forgive, it's just a little hard to keep up with all the bullshit around here as to which playuers are t3h AwsUmZ on any given day and which ones are taking their turn in the stocks.

Amusing is right.

So Gresham can stink up a playoff game but he's an integral part of the offense. Got it. Forgive, it's just a little hard to keep up with all the bullshit around here as to which playuers are t3h AwsUmZ on any given day and which ones are taking their turn in the stocks.

Amusing is right.

Dalton is also an integral part of the offense.... he's the starting qb.   Happy?

And at least you're amused.  After all, isn't that why we come to this site?  For amusement....and you get it. 

Eight observations from the Bengals' OTAs
May, 27, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Bengals held Tuesday their first organized team activity (OTA) of the offseason. For the first time since January's wild-card round playoff loss to San Diego, the Bengals were back inside Paul Brown Stadium, participating in full-team football activities.

Only one player appeared to be missing from the workout; tight end Jermaine Gresham. It's not clear why the veteran wasn't present for the voluntary workout, but he has been seen around the stadium since the team returned to town for voluntary strength and conditioning workouts last month.

Otherwise, the Bengals were all present and accounted for. Even injured defensive tackle Geno Atkins, injured cornerback Leon Hall, injured offensive guard Clint Boling and injured punter Kevin Huber attended the workout. Each took part in the stretching and warm-up period of the practice. Huber was the only one of the four who had his jersey on, and who actually participated in the rest of the practices. He spent much of the day punting across the field from sideline to sideline. Atkins and Boling continue rehabbing from ACL surgeries. Hall is nearly fully recovered from an Achilles injury that ended his season in Week 7 last year. Huber is coming back from a neck fracture.

Along with those absences from team drills, the Bengals also appeared to be without defensive back Danieal Manning and center Mike Pollak. Both attended the workout but were not in uniform and not participating in the drills.

In addition to those observations, here are a few more from what I saw during the hour and 45 minutes that practice was open to reporters:

1. We start with the beginning of the practice, when newly promoted offensive coordinator Hue Jackson loudly shouted "I love this day!" as players wrapped up stretching. Why is that worth mentioning? Because it was only the first of many things Jackson could be heard shouting all during the workout. He has been known league-wide for his energetic and intense style of coaching. Cincinnati's noticeably faster practice tempo certainly was a credit to him. Very seldom did he stay in one spot. He rotated regularly between the different position groups, and could be heard when he moved.

2. When it comes to depth-chart rankings, let me begin by saying this: Don't read too much into depth chart updates in May. Things are likely to change. Simply read the following and know it happened on the very first day of OTAs. Dig no further than that. Now, with that disclaimer out of the way, as expected, Giovani Bernard did indeed take the bulk of the first-team snaps at running back. BenJarvus Green-Ellis had opportunities, as did rookie Jeremy Hill. Also of note in the backfield: on a high percentage of snaps, it seemed a fullback or H-back was also lined up behind quarterback Andy Dalton. Don't be surprised if you see the fullback make a comeback this season, folks.

3. Speaking of Dalton, he took snaps as the starting quarterback. Jason Campbell made the second-string throws, and recent addition Matt Scott made the third-string tosses. Fifth-round draft pick AJ McCarron was effectively the fourth-string quarterback, taking snaps primarily with reserve offensive players who primarily were comprised of undrafted free agents.

4. A former Bengals fifth-round draft pick who did make noise Tuesday was receiver Marvin Jones. As expected, he lined up as the No. 2 receiver opposite A.J. Green. Jackson told Bengals.com last week that he wanted Jones to push Green for the No. 1 receiving job; a sentiment Jackson first expressed to reporters at the combine in February.

5. Cobi Hamilton and Brandon Tate were two other receivers who caught their share of passes. Hamilton's size -- 6-foot-2 -- and leaping ability make him a good deep option. Tate's shiftiness as a kick returner makes him a candidate to be lined up in the slot or passed to in quick-screen scenarios. Although returning kicks takes a slightly different skill than dodging defenders, he still is being given a chance to prove he can wiggle on offense like he can on special teams. Tate caught one pass last season, and Hamilton wasn't active a single game.

6. Cincinnati's offensive line had a little bit of a different look in the interior with Pollak and Boling out. In Pollak's stead, Trevor Robinson and rookie Russell Bodine traded snaps at center. Robinson took the majority of the day's first-team snaps. In Boling's place at left guard, several different players saw action, including Pro Bowl left tackle Andrew Whitworth. Undrafted free agent Trey Hopkins also played there. Free agent acquisition Marshall Newhouse lined up at left tackle when Whitworth wasn't playing there.

7.Outside linebacker Emmanuel Lamur was back practicing and going through drills for the first time since suffering a injury in the final preseason game last year.

8. Like Jackson, members of Cincinnati's front office and scouting department couldn't wait to see their recent signees in action, too. Along with team president Mike Brown and his daughter, executive vice president Katie Blackburn, Bengals scouts also attended the OTA from start to finish.

Bengals' rookies find OTAs a learning experience
1398200915000-crosecrans.jpg C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 5:37 p.m. EDT May 27, 2014
1401217001000-bengalsDennard1.jpg

(Photo: The Enquirer/Cara Owsley)

Will Clarke tried to watch as much as he did anything on Tuesday during the Bengals' first organized team activities (OTAs) at Paul Brown Stadium.

Before and after his physical drills, the Bengals' third-round pick out of West Virginia tried to make sure he kept an eye on the likes of Robert Geathers, Carlos Dunlap and Wallace Gilberry, his fellow defensive ends.

35546123001_3591124923001_First-Day-OTA-

The Bengals' top three draft picks - CB Darqueze Dennard (1st round), RB Jeremy Hill (2nd round) and DE Will Clarke (3rd round) - talk about their first NFL OTA.

"You know what they say, be slow to talk, quick to listen," Clarke said following Tuesday's workout. "I try to do the same thing they're doing, because they're in one group so I just watch what they're doing during (drills) and try to mimic what they do, because they're obviously the best and they've been doing it for a while."

Related: Bengals ink Clarke, Hill; only Dennard unsigned

Also: Four things to watch in Bengals OTAs

Faster: Bengals vets notice quicker pace at practice

Clarke and his fellow rookies have been in Cincinnati working out since they were drafted, but Tuesday was the first day the rookies could work on the field with the veterans and anyone could do full 11-on-11 drills.

35546123001_3590718972001_Helmet.jpg

All of the Cincinnati Bengals - including the rookies - took part at Paul Brown Stadium for the first day of Organized Team Activities on Tuesday.

For some of the Bengals rookies, Tuesday was just another practice. For others, it's the beginning of a long learning process.

First-round pick Darqueze Dennard walked off the field with his head down, and it spinning just a little bit.

"It's my first day running around and actually practicing with an NFL team. The game hasn't changed, it's not faster, it's just that my mind is going 100 miles per hour," Dennard said. "I'm a little upset with that -- I know everything in the playbook, or I thought I knew everything in the playbook, but I've just got to slow it down in my head to contribute. It wasn't disappointing, you're always going to have room to improve. I try to be a perfectionist in everything I do and that was it -- along with being tired."

Running back Jeremy Hill said he was just trying to keep up with the veterans during his first practice.

Bengals unsigned draft pick Darqueze Dennard runs drills during organized team activities (OTAs) at Paul Brown Stadium Tuesday.  (Photo: The Enquirer/Cara Owsley)

"We've been here two weeks, but you don't really get that feeling until you put that helmet on and go against a live defense," said Hill, the team's second-round pick out of LSU. "That was exciting today to be around some of those veterans that are established in this league and play really fast. It's definitely an adjustment with the speed of the game."

That speed, Hill noted, wasn't as much as how fast the players are, but how quickly they react.

"You can't tell the (physical) speed, but you can tell the instincts, everyone knows what they're doing," Hill said. "Sometimes in college there are freshmen and sophomores who don't know what they're doing and don't understand the defense. These guys know exactly what they're doing, they've seen all the plays before, so they're flying around. That's the biggest difference."

For center Russell Bodine, the fourth-round pick out of North Carolina, it wasn't much of a difference.

"Football's football at some point," Bodine said. "You kind of have to rely on what you know, rely on the work you've put in to get into the playbook. The biggest thing for me is getting in the playbook and knowing my responsibilities and everyone's responsibilities. As the center, you're out there making all the calls for the entire offensive line."

For some rookies, it looked different, just because of the different colors -- it's an adjustment to look out and see the black and orange uniforms, and also to put on a helmet that they've seen on TV so many times.

"It's definitely a transition, being in purple and gold country (at LSU) and people saying they bleed purple and gold to going to Who Dey Nation," Hill said. "It's definitely cool to put on this helmet that has a ton of tradition behind it. It's definitely exciting, because you don't get that feeling until you put that helmet on. It's crazy to put it on after watching it over the years, it's surreal. After a few weeks, I'll get that feeling out and get back to work."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/05/27/bengals-rookies-learn-during-day-1-of-otas/9632965/

Bengals' rookies find OTAs a learning experience

1398200915000-crosecrans.jpg C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 5:37 p.m. EDT May 27, 2014
1401217001000-bengalsDennard1.jpg

(Photo: The Enquirer/Cara Owsley)

Will Clarke tried to watch as much as he did anything on Tuesday during the Bengals' first organized team activities (OTAs) at Paul Brown Stadium.

Before and after his physical drills, the Bengals' third-round pick out of West Virginia tried to make sure he kept an eye on the likes of Robert Geathers, Carlos Dunlap and Wallace Gilberry, his fellow defensive ends.

35546123001_3591124923001_First-Day-OTA-

The Bengals' top three draft picks - CB Darqueze Dennard (1st round), RB Jeremy Hill (2nd round) and DE Will Clarke (3rd round) - talk about their first NFL OTA.

"You know what they say, be slow to talk, quick to listen," Clarke said following Tuesday's workout. "I try to do the same thing they're doing, because they're in one group so I just watch what they're doing during (drills) and try to mimic what they do, because they're obviously the best and they've been doing it for a while."

Related: Bengals ink Clarke, Hill; only Dennard unsigned

Also: Four things to watch in Bengals OTAs

Faster: Bengals vets notice quicker pace at practice

Clarke and his fellow rookies have been in Cincinnati working out since they were drafted, but Tuesday was the first day the rookies could work on the field with the veterans and anyone could do full 11-on-11 drills.

35546123001_3590718972001_Helmet.jpg

All of the Cincinnati Bengals - including the rookies - took part at Paul Brown Stadium for the first day of Organized Team Activities on Tuesday.

For some of the Bengals rookies, Tuesday was just another practice. For others, it's the beginning of a long learning process.

First-round pick Darqueze Dennard walked off the field with his head down, and it spinning just a little bit.

"It's my first day running around and actually practicing with an NFL team. The game hasn't changed, it's not faster, it's just that my mind is going 100 miles per hour," Dennard said. "I'm a little upset with that -- I know everything in the playbook, or I thought I knew everything in the playbook, but I've just got to slow it down in my head to contribute. It wasn't disappointing, you're always going to have room to improve. I try to be a perfectionist in everything I do and that was it -- along with being tired."

Running back Jeremy Hill said he was just trying to keep up with the veterans during his first practice.

Bengals unsigned draft pick Darqueze Dennard runs drills during organized team activities (OTAs) at Paul Brown Stadium Tuesday.  (Photo: The Enquirer/Cara Owsley)

"We've been here two weeks, but you don't really get that feeling until you put that helmet on and go against a live defense," said Hill, the team's second-round pick out of LSU. "That was exciting today to be around some of those veterans that are established in this league and play really fast. It's definitely an adjustment with the speed of the game."

That speed, Hill noted, wasn't as much as how fast the players are, but how quickly they react.

"You can't tell the (physical) speed, but you can tell the instincts, everyone knows what they're doing," Hill said. "Sometimes in college there are freshmen and sophomores who don't know what they're doing and don't understand the defense. These guys know exactly what they're doing, they've seen all the plays before, so they're flying around. That's the biggest difference."

For center Russell Bodine, the fourth-round pick out of North Carolina, it wasn't much of a difference.

"Football's football at some point," Bodine said. "You kind of have to rely on what you know, rely on the work you've put in to get into the playbook. The biggest thing for me is getting in the playbook and knowing my responsibilities and everyone's responsibilities. As the center, you're out there making all the calls for the entire offensive line."

For some rookies, it looked different, just because of the different colors -- it's an adjustment to look out and see the black and orange uniforms, and also to put on a helmet that they've seen on TV so many times.

"It's definitely a transition, being in purple and gold country (at LSU) and people saying they bleed purple and gold to going to Who Dey Nation," Hill said. "It's definitely cool to put on this helmet that has a ton of tradition behind it. It's definitely exciting, because you don't get that feeling until you put that helmet on. It's crazy to put it on after watching it over the years, it's surreal. After a few weeks, I'll get that feeling out and get back to work."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/05/27/bengals-rookies-learn-during-day-1-of-otas/9632965/

We're finally getting to the generation that doesn't remember the 90s..and as our fearless leader would say, that's a good thing.

We're finally getting to the generation that doesn't remember the 90s..and as our fearless leader would say, that's a good thing.

most of the guys coming into the league now, only know the Bengals who only have 3 losing seasons over the last 11 years.

Random thoughts in no particular order....

So, if Gresham refuses to show up for OTA's...does someone still keep track of how often he was wide open on plays he wasn't thrown the ball?

And if not, how are we going to keep track of how awesome Gresham isn't allowed to be?

Is it too late to trade Gresham to a team looking for a new but shitty TE? And do I need to post the phone number of Green Bay's front office again?

Hypothetically speaking, would the Bengals be better off with a dead crab at TE? Wouldn't a flounder, living or dead, be more appropriate?

Finally, did Gresham wake up that morning to find paint on his wall only to discover he liked the new color?

He also caught 7 passes one for Andy's lone post season TD pass against San Diego.  A pass that he had to adjust to since Andy was under immense pressure and caught falling backwards into the endzone I might add.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Jermaine-Gresham-4-yard-TD-reception/0f47d6ee-4678-444a-92b9-3b4480d6ee30

Couple of thoughts from Coley Harvey's piece form this morning... http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals

2. Experimenting with tempo. One of the most noticeable changes during Tuesday's practice was the high tempo with which plays were called and the Bengals' offense jumped out of its huddle and to the line of scrimmage. Newly promoted offensive coordinator Hue Jackson and players have spoken recently about how they hope to increase the offense's tempo in an effort to get more plays off on a given drive. It also gives the offense time to get to the line, break down the defense and make any necessary line changes. There were several times when players went in motion in offense-defense drills, causing the defense to work on its side-of-line coverage switches and pass-rush priorities. You could see the defense having to adjust to what the offense was doing. The Bengals hope to make that the case offensively all season. Technically the Bengals aren't experimenting with tempo. They're pretty well sold on moving forward with the high-intensity pacing that it's worth noting isn't quite done at true hurry-up speed. Quarterback Andy Dalton seems to like the offensive tweak. "It's going to be to our advantage," he said. "You get to the line quicker, it gives you a chance to do more stuff at the line and gives you a better chance to read what the defense is doing."

Might this up-tempo attitude help or hurt Bodine's chances at starting?  On one hand I could see how getting up quickly could give him time to survey the situation and might be at a pace closer to what he was used to at UNC.  But on the other hand, I could see how forcing a quick pace might not give him time to process it all and get the right calls out.  In any event, Bodine will be used to a fast pace, so as long as he can get the line in the right spots I think it will be a good fit.  Might this up-tempo approach be why Bodine was so appealing to the Bengals?

3. Expect a lot of nickel -- everywhere. We've talked about it before, but with the arrival of so many offensive players who come from spread college systems, the NFL is undergoing a particular offensive identity crisis. As some teams, like the Bengals, begin making a conscientious move to a multiple-back setup, they are also quite open to employing multiple-receiver sets for the majority of their games. In some cases, they'll use two-tight end sets with one of the tight ends getting flanked off the line and used in the slot as a bigger bodied extra receiver. It's caused defenses to adjust, forcing defensive coordinators to work on developing their sub-nickel packages. While the 4-3 would be considered Cincinnati's base defense, the nickel may be what the Bengals are in the most. A lot of the Bengals' 11-on-11 defensive work Tuesday revolved around nickel formations. Defensive ends like Will Clarke and Wallace Gilberry shifted into the line's interior on occasion to boost the pass-rush presence. Extra defensive backs kept shuffling in and out. Outside linebacker Emmanuel Lamur spent a good chunk of time occupying a nickel linebacker position while Rey Maualuga played the middle linebacker spot and Vontaze Burfict resumed his duties as the "Will" outside linebacker.

I love that we have we have a healthy Lamur to counter what offenses are doing - as well as a guy like Flowers waiting in the wings under the same mold.  I also like that we've got some guys like Gilberry and Clarke that can (hopefully) get some rush from inside when we go nickel. 

most of the guys coming into the league now, only know the Bengals who only have 3 losing seasons over the last 11 years.

I wouldn't even say they know that. Guys coming on to the Bengals are greeted with most players that know nothing other than playoffs.

He also caught 7 passes one for Andy's lone post season TD pass against San Diego.  A pass that he had to adjust to since Andy was under immense pressure and caught falling backwards into the endzone I might add.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Jermaine-Gresham-4-yard-TD-reception/0f47d6ee-4678-444a-92b9-3b4480d6ee30

He played very well in the playoff game (although he did have a holding penalty), but that doesn't excuse the fact that for a large part of his career, his head has been up his ass. THE GUY HAD 10 PENALTIES ACCEPTED LAST YEAR. Compare that with a guy like Witten (who has equal blocking responsibilities) who had 3. Do you know how detrimental these penalties are to drives? Also take into account the fact that he decided to walk to the locker room in the middle of a game. We haven't seen that around here since Frick and Frack were manning the WR spots. 

Gresham is still probably an above-average TE, but he does some bone-headed things that leave a bad taste in the mouth of the majority of Bengals fans. Despite making two pro-bowls,  if he were to leave after his rookie contract is up, no one would think kindly on his time here. I think that tells you all you need to know about him. 

I think that's part of my anxiety with him. He shows he can be amazing, and awful, and everything in between. I hold my breath every time a pass heads in his direction because I don't know which Gresham is wearing the uniform from play to play... There's enough good there for me to want him back, and enough bad for me to forget about him if he leaves.

Gresh is a good TE. IMO, he's in the same camp as Andre Smith. Good.

Without knowing the reasons it will be disappointing if he doesn't show for OTAs considering he has some correctable holes to work on that could put him over the top to the next level player.

Gresham is still probably an above-average TE, but he does some bone-headed things that leave a bad taste in the mouth of the majority of Bengals fans. Despite making two pro-bowls,  if he were to leave after his rookie contract is up, no one would think kindly on his time here. I think that tells you all you need to know about him. 

Ghost Gresham is the BJGE of TE's.

Or if you prefer, he simply isn't worthy of being central figure in an underperforming 2-TE offense whose primary builder now coaches somewhere else.

Might be worth keeping if he agreed to a pay cut, but he'll want a raise.

After all, this year he caught the TD pass before falling on his butt. That's progress.

Bengals would be better served saving the money they'd waste on Gresham and instead agree to waste it on Dalton.

Gresham's greatest remaining value to Bengals probably isn't as a player, but as a future comp pick.

I've already begun thinking of Jermaine Gresham as my favorite ex-Bengal.

Too soon?

I'm kinda surprised Dennards agent let him participate.

A couple ACL's got blown out yesterday around the league. Sign your contract then start practicing would be my advice as an agent.

ETA: Is there really any incentive for the team to sign him quickly if he's gonna show up anyway?

Archived