Schedule Release Supposedly this week

I'm kinda pissed about Pittsburgh getting 5 primetime games after two losing seasons.  4 in 2013 and 5 in 2012.  It just proves how the NFL is all about revenue.  Since the Steelers travel well they automatically get 5 games almost every year regardless of whether they deserve to be in the spotlight or not.

WTF? 

I'm kinda pissed about Pittsburgh getting 5 primetime games after two losing seasons.  4 in 2013 and 5 in 2012.  It just proves how the NFL is all about revenue.  Since the Steelers travel well they automatically get 5 games almost every year regardless of whether they deserve to be in the spotlight or not.

WTF? 

The only thing the NFL truly cares about...

countmoney_zps3399c23f.gif

WTF? 

Every billion dollar business is "all about revenue".

WTF? 

I don't understand why you're pissed, the Steelers are one of the most popular teams in the NFL and they play well in big games. They have a huge following all over the country, it's common sense to put them on TV as much as possible because they will get the ratings numbers the NFL desires.

Outside of the tri-state area there aren't many Bengals fans and we don't play particularly well in nationally televised games. If the Bengals won more big games they would get more prime time games, it's fairly simple.  

Every billion dollar business is "all about revenue".

Billion-dollar businesses willing to shit all over any other concern in order to earn one dollar more don't stay billion-dollar businesses forever. 

If the Bengals won more big games they would get more prime time games, it's fairly simple.  

We've been over this; they can't win a "big game" because they're only big if they lose.  Which is why the loss to the Stoolers in prime time matters, but the win in prime time doesn't.

So I guess we'll have an early draft pick in 2015.  Combine that with the extra compensatory picks, and we're lookin' great for the 2015 season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:

Wow, -4 rep points (so far).  I really didn't think I needed to add the ninja, but I guess I was wrong. 

Why the hell are we playing the Browns in a prime time game? Also, I don't know what the stats say but my initial observation is that this is a deceptively difficult schedule. Looks pretty tough.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but the NFL giving us a home MNF game against Denver in week 15 seems like a major vote of confidence for the franchise and city. That game could be huge.

They've rotated through Pitt and Baltimore for their primetime game so one with us doesn't seem unreasonable. 

Billion-dollar businesses willing to shit all over any other concern in order to earn one dollar more don't stay billion-dollar businesses forever. 

But they tend to stay awhile if they can morph into other things.  The NFL is riding the TV money wave into any avenue they can get into, and the popularity is only growing.  It's like asking Nike to start focusing efforts on a line of badminton clothing instead of football and basketball lines.  Why would a smart, profitable company put less popular products out?  If Jacksonville, Buffalo and Tennessee start showing up in prime time more than the "popular" teams, people will lose interest and the money will stop/shrink.  I can even see the NFL adopting a TNT/TBS/Tru TV approach form the Final Four where you can watch a game with home/visitor/neutral announcers on different channels...

We just happen to cheer for a team dubbed not as popular as other alternatives.  And we all know that, so I'm not sure why there'd be any surprise that inferior (skill-wise) teams might still show up on TV more...?

We've been over this; they can't win a "big game" because they're only big if they lose.  Which is why the loss to the Stoolers in prime time matters, but the win in prime time doesn't.

I was referring to the 3 nationally televised playoff games in which they have not performed well, the Steelers have a national fanbase while the Bengals have a regional one.  

I was referring to the 3 nationally televised playoff games in which they have not performed well, the Steelers have a national fanbase while the Bengals have a regional one.  

Oh, you meant the playoffs that Dallas & Pittsburgh weren't even in...  Got it.

But they tend to stay awhile if they can morph into other things.  The NFL is riding the TV money wave into any avenue they can get into, and the popularity is only growing.  It's like asking Nike to start focusing efforts on a line of badminton clothing instead of football and basketball lines.  Why would a smart, profitable company put less popular products out?  If Jacksonville, Buffalo and Tennessee start showing up in prime time more than the "popular" teams, people will lose interest and the money will stop/shrink.  I can even see the NFL adopting a TNT/TBS/Tru TV approach form the Final Four where you can watch a game with home/visitor/neutral announcers on different channels...

We just happen to cheer for a team dubbed not as popular as other alternatives.  And we all know that, so I'm not sure why there'd be any surprise that inferior (skill-wise) teams might still show up on TV more...?

Crap I meant to plus 1 you on that, clicked the wrong button. Good post.

True, but in cases like Houston in primetime and Tennessee in primetime, it makes zero sense. They were either terrible or bad last year, and they have only been put on primetime to go against the Stealers so Goodell and the Stealer inbreds can watch their team dismantle a JV team in front of a national audience and brag about it.

I understand why teams with big followings get more primetime games, I just think those two matchups in particular are disgustingly obvious of what the NFL is trying to do. Appease the Stealer inbreds. At least put a more deserving team up against them.

And personally, I wish the Bengals never have any prime time games. Yes, I like them, but Marvin Lewis fails virtually every time to get his teams to play well under bright lights. (in a worst case scenario for the season): If anything good is to come out of a potentially tough schedule, its that they may not make the postseason and he may not break the record for most consecutive playoff losses without a win, and is fired after the season.

Oh, you meant the playoffs that Dallas & Pittsburgh weren't even in...  Got it.

Dallas & Pitt are two of the most successful NFL franchises, combined they have appeared in 16 Super Bowls and 11 championships.

Dallas is the 2nd most valuable sports franchise in the country with a valuation over 2 billion dollars and the Steelers literally have fans in every state of the country while selling out every home game since 1972. Dallas hasn't had a playoff victory since 2009 but they annually make the most money of any NFL franchise. In 70's when the NFL really took off as far as popularity, these were the two most successful teams during that decade and many baby boomers all across the country still root for these teams. 

It's a no brainer to put these two teams on TV as much as possible because they will guarantee great ratings. 

If the Bengals want to get on national TV 4-5 times a year, they have to win a Super Bowl...it's rather simple. Right now they are slated for 3 nationally televised games, considering we haven't won a playoff game in almost 25 years that's about as much as we should expect. 

True, but in cases like Houston in primetime and Tennessee in primetime, it makes zero sense. They were either terrible or bad last year, and they have only been put on primetime to go against the Stealers so Goodell and the Stealer inbreds can watch their team dismantle a JV team in front of a national audience and brag about it.

I understand why teams with big followings get more primetime games, I just think those two matchups in particular are disgustingly obvious of what the NFL is trying to do. Appease the Stealer inbreds. At least put a more deserving team up against them.

And personally, I wish the Bengals never have any prime time games. Yes, I like them, but Marvin Lewis fails virtually every time to get his teams to play well under bright lights. (in a worst case scenario for the season): If anything good is to come out of a potentially tough schedule, its that they may not make the postseason and he may not break the record for most consecutive playoff losses without a win, and is fired after the season.

I'm pretty sure every team gets a Thursday night game so every team gets at least one TV game.  Plus Houston will have a new coach and the #1 pick, so they will garner some interest.  But you're right that Pitt does tend to get a lot of primetime games.  So chances are they won't always be the best matchup since all 16 of their games will be great.

The good news is they have more chances to lose on national TV and we might get a chance to watch them get dismantled.  Gotta stay positive here - how fun was it to see them get embarrassed in the beginning of last year?

I'm pretty sure every team gets a Thursday night game so every team gets at least one TV game.  Plus Houston will have a new coach and the #1 pick, so they will garner some interest.  But you're right that Pitt does tend to get a lot of primetime games.  So chances are they won't always be the best matchup since all 16 of their games will be great.

The good news is they have more chances to lose on national TV and we might get a chance to watch them get dismantled.  Gotta stay positive here - how fun was it to see them get embarrassed in the beginning of last year?

Haha, yes. That's very true!

Non profit doesn't mean they don't have operating expenses... And a massive non profit still has to compete for high level officers with corporations. They get paid a lot because they are responsible for a massive amount of success or failure.

Non profit doesn't mean they don't have operating expenses... And a massive non profit still has to compete for high level officers with corporations. They get paid a lot because they are responsible for a massive amount of success or failure.

That's the part that is the scam. Non-profits don't have to compete with Fortune 500 companies for executive talent yet some pay more. 

Archived