Bengals have begun Contract Extension talks with Burfict

That would be the very top of the market for 4-3 LBs. I don't think the Bengals are inclined to set the top of the market for a guy they have control over for minimum 2 more years. They seem to take pretty hard lines on guy's values, I don't see them ever thinking a 4-3 LB is worth anywhere close to $10M a year. Hopefully it'll get done soon and we'll have real numbers to discuss.  

That would be the very top of the market for 4-3 LBs. I don't think the Bengals are inclined to set the top of the market for a guy they have control over for minimum 2 more years. They seem to take pretty hard lines on guy's values, I don't see them ever thinking a 4-3 LB is worth anywhere close to $10M a year. Hopefully it'll get done soon and we'll have real numbers to discuss.  

Dude did lead the league in tackles, fucking hits like a freight train and adds a much absent swagger to our linebacking corps.   Gotta be worth an extra mil or two to any team.  Intimidation does have its place.

Dude did lead the league in tackles, fucking hits like a freight train and adds a much absent swagger to our linebacking corps.   Gotta be worth an extra mil or two to any team.  Intimidation does have its place.

Geno Atkins is the best DT in the world. He isn't even close to the highest paid DT. And he signed his extension about the same time in his contract life cycle as Burfict currently is.

I'm not arguing what he deserves, I'm trying to guess what he'll be paid based on the history of what we've seen from the Bengals with contract extensions.

Geno Atkins is the best DT in the world. He isn't even close to the highest paid DT. And he signed his extension about the same time in his contract life cycle as Burfict currently is.

I'm not arguing what he deserves, I'm trying to guess what he'll be paid based on the history of what we've seen from the Bengals with contract extensions.

No argument here.

He is actually pretty close to the highest paid. According to this list he is 3rd:

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=DT

And the 2 guys ahead of him (Suh and McCoy) are both on their rookie deals from back when being the #2 or #3 pick led to stupid money. He's the highest paid DT not on a rookie deal. (Haloti Ngata is playing DE now that the Ravens are a 3-4, he is also making a little more than Geno.)

The highest paid inside LBs are in the $9-10M a year range with Patrick Willis at the very top at $10M per. Lawrence Timmons of the Steelers is 2nd at $9.6M (Burfict is way better than him IMO). Maybe $10M per year on those far out years (2016 and beyond) is a little high. $9M per seems reasonable. Something like 6 years, $42M total feels about right to me.

It's also a little more complicated situation because he is a RFA next offseason and you never know if some other team would try to make a run at him if you let him play out this year. We would get a 1st rounder if we decided not to match, so I doubt any team would give him ridiculous money and give up the 1st to do it (maybe a team drafting late or a division rival like Baltimore?). But it adds a little bit of uncertainty that the Bengals might not be able to get away with just the $3M 1st round tender amount next year. So we can't necessarily just take for granted that we do have him locked up the next 2 years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer....very interested to see where this one ends up

Representatives for Vontaze Burfict met with members of the Cincinnati Bengals' front office this week, as the sides have made progress toward a long-term extension for the Pro Bowl linebacker, sources told FOX Sports.

As of now, no agreement is in place but the gulf that once existed in talks has shrunk significantly, one source said.

Unlike the other players who entered the NFL in 2012, Burfict is eligible for an extension now because he went undrafted. Those who were selected that year must wait until the end of the upcoming season, according to the collective bargaining agreement.

Burfict, 23, certainly had the talent to warrant a high draft pick, but character concerns led all teams to take a pass until the Bengals gave him a shot as a free agent -- albeit one who would have very little room for any slip-ups. The move has paid off, as Burfict was credited with 171 tackles, three sacks and an interception last season while also showing the strides he's made personally.

Burfict is slated to be a restricted free agent at the end of this upcoming season, meaning the Bengals would have the right to match any offer sheet, though they'd risk losing him to a team willing to cough up the draft pick and the money to sign one of the best linebackers in the league. A tender with a first-round pick as compensation if they would lose Burfict would come with a salary of just more than $3 million.

Given the sides have spoken over the past few months, with Wednesday's face-to-face meeting in Cincy indicating talks are heating up, the Bengals are obviously interested in rewarding Burfict now instead of having him test restricted free agency, provided the price is right. And since there are more big jumps expected in the salary cap over the next few seasons, surely they realize his price will only increase exponentially if he continues to be an impact player on the field and a solid citizen off of it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-vontaze-burfict-make-progress-on-long-term-extension-051514

Another Buzz article...

The Bengals and linebacker Vontaze Burfict started talking about a contract extension a little while ago and it looks like the two sides may be able to strike a deal in the near future.

Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports reports that the team and Burfict’s representatives met this week and that they have made progress toward keeping Burfict in Cincinnati well beyond the coming season. No agreement has been struck at this point, but, per Garafolo, the gap that once existed between the two sides has “shrunk significantly” over the course of their conversations.

Because Burfict entered the league as an undrafted free agent before the 2012 season, he would become a restricted free agent if no deal is struck and the Bengals extend a tender. Doing so would give them the right to match any offer to Burfict and they’d likely tender him at a high enough level that any interested team would also have to fork over a draft pick to sign him away.

Burfict’s production over his first two seasons might make that a possibility, but it seems the Bengals are doing what they can to avoid the risk entirely.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/16/report-vontaze-burfict-extension-talks-progressing/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Deal should be pretty damn simple...imo it will be like a peko or geathers extension.

We own him for 2 more season at very minimal amounts.

I think he'll sign something like 5 years, with an average of about $1million more then we'd pay him over the next 2 years, plus whaat the highest paid ILB is paid today for 3 years....that's what i'd pay him.

He'd be getting his money early and he'd be getting paid well. i'd give him 5 years 36-42 million with 23-27 million guaranteed.

Deal should be pretty damn simple...imo it will be like a peko or geathers extension.

We own him for 2 more season at very minimal amounts.

I think he'll sign something like 5 years, with an average of about $1million more then we'd pay him over the next 2 years, plus whaat the highest paid ILB is paid today for 3 years....that's what i'd pay him.

He'd be getting his money early and he'd be getting paid well. i'd give him 5 years 36-42 million with 23-27 million guaranteed.

You, and others here are going to be so happy when he actually signs his deal and it comes in way lower than that. 5 years $25M 10-12 guaranteed. He's not getting a bigger deal than Dunlap and he isn't getting more guaranteed money than Atkins.

There's no reason not to get a deal done soon. He's massively outplayed his 1K udfa deal. Since the team has him for 2 more years cheap, he will probably take less than max dollars. It also helps that he hasn't previously been paid. So maybe something like 5 years added averaging about 5 mil in salary per season plus 7 mil or so up front. That would keep him for 7 years at a total of 36 mil which is pretty reasonable from the team's point of view.

Now this is a guy who's production, not his potential to improve, has shown he deserves the money.

Production?

Andy Dalton has the third most TD's in NFL history in a QB's first 3 years.  That pretty much defines production.

And before you talk about winning in big games, you can add Burfict to the very long list of players who didn't show up as expected in the playoff loss. 

And he's my favorite player. 

Production?

Andy Dalton has the third most TD's in NFL history in a QB's first 3 years.  That pretty much defines production.

And before you talk about winning in big games, you can add Burfict to the very long list of players who didn't show up as expected in the playoff loss. 

In only his 2nd year Taz has lead the NFL in tackles. Andy Dalton has he lead the NFL in any category?

Taz's stat line for the '13 post season game

7 comb tackles 2 solo, 5 assist, and a half sack. Not world beater numbers sure, but not "not showing up" and absolutely not the cause of any loss.

Archived