Bengals have begun Contract Extension talks with Burfict

2016 would be AJ's first year on a tag. He could plausibly be tagged again in 2017. A third tag would require paying him the QB tag amount so that's unlikely. But a new contract for him will pay an amount similar to the tags so apart from not being able to use the tag on someone else there isn't much urgency.

Every day they wait, his eventual extension goes up. Once you start tagging a player an extension is unlikely, just look at the Bengals history with their prior franchise tagged guys. Not to mention at some point AJ and his agent would try to force a trade if they aren't getting a longer term deal.

There is plenty to disagree about regarding a new deal for Dalton. On the other hand, I think just about everyone agrees on a new deal for Burfict being a good thing. It would be the best and biggest move so far this off-season, IMO. Tez deserves a new deal based off his performance and the team should be able to pay less than they would on the open market since they control him contractually for the next two years.

You're not talking about Dalton? What's wrong with you?

:lol:

Every day they wait, his eventual extension goes up. Once you start tagging a player an extension is unlikely, just look at the Bengals history with their prior franchise tagged guys. Not to mention at some point AJ and his agent would try to force a trade if they aren't getting a longer term deal.

I really think you're worrying about nothing here. He's making $6M this year. Over $10M in 2015. With the franchise tag, he'd make $12M in 2016. Another tag gets him to $14M in 2017. There's plenty of time to work out an extension that works financially for both AJ and the Bengals.

The Bengals have plenty of leverage due to the way the system is setup to allow teams to keep their best players. AJ is making good money isn't going to try to force a trade or anything. Just relax.

ETA: I think an extension gets done next offseason so it won't ever get to the franchise tag stage. But same as with Geno, both sides know the tag is a real option and it helps to get a deal done. The Bengals don't have to go crazy rushing out there to lock him up forever at massive money after only 3 years when there is no chance of him leaving anytime soon though.

I really think you're worrying about nothing here. He's making $6M this year. Over $10M in 2015. With the franchise tag, he'd make $12M in 2016. Another tag gets him to $14M in 2017. There's plenty of time to work out an extension that works financially for both AJ and the Bengals.

The Bengals have plenty of leverage due to the way the system is setup to allow teams to keep their best players. AJ is making good money isn't going to try to force a trade or anything. Just relax.

ETA: I think an extension gets done next offseason so it won't ever get to the franchise tag stage. But same as with Geno, both sides know the tag is a real option and it helps to get a deal done. The Bengals don't have to go crazy rushing out there to lock him up forever at massive money after only 3 years when there is no chance of him leaving anytime soon though.

I'm not worried per se, I am just saying things could get ugly if he doesn't have a deal done by the start of the '15 season. And if you look at it from the Bengals perspective, starting the extension talk with 3 years of control at ~26M makes it easier to get where you want than starting at 2 years of control at ~23M. He's only getting 3M in cash this year, probably the last year he'll ever make under 8-10M cash in his NFL career. I'd be doing everything I can to leverage that final lower paid year. Do it this offseason and you may be able to add 3 years onto the 3 years we presumably control him now for something like $45M which gets you 6 more years at 70M. Which is pretty reasonable compared to Megatron or Fitz. If you let it run to next offseason buying out the future years gets more expensive and you don't have that one "cheap" year to offset some of the higher later year costs.

• 2 weeks later...

From Hobson....

I haven't heard a word lately about signing Burfict to a long term deal. What's up? Dick Feldon, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.

DICK: I’d like to know, too. A few weeks ago a Fox report surfaced that said they had made progress, but that was directly opposite from what I was hearing. Not an easy deal to do. He’s put up great numbers in his first two years, but theoretically they have him for two more years because they can tender him at the highest restricted free agent number after this season. So there’s got to be a middle way in there. The team has to recognize he’s put up elite numbers and his people have to realize it’s early to do a deal. In the end, it sounds like they’ll find some common ground if that report came from his side.

Archived