Day 2 Big Board

Who could Bengals target in Rounds 2-3?
May, 9, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

Now that the Cincinnati Bengals got their cornerback on Day 1 of the 2014 NFL draft, where might they go with their picks on Day 2?

There are a number of good options still available in Rounds 2 and 3, and trades always could occur, too. Below are some names and position groups worth keeping an eye on before the draft resumes Friday night:

Offensive line
OT Morgan Moses, Virginia
OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
OT Joel Bitonio, Nevada
OT Cameron Fleming, Stanford
OT Antonio Richardson, Tennessee
OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
OG Trai Turner, LSU
OG John Urschel, Penn State
OG Cyril Richardson, Baylor
C Marcus Martin, USC
C Weston Richburg, Colorado State
Analysis: Moses, Kouandjio and Su'a-Filo could be the first three linemen taken in the second round. The Bengals are well positioned at No. 55 to perhaps grab whichever of the two tackles falls the furthest, if they want to make this pick an offensive lineman. Even though Su'a-Filo is a guard, he is a truly versatile lineman, having played on both the interior and edges of the line in college. He could be a good fit for the Bengals' front. If those three are gone by No. 55, Martin could be a good choice at center. Urschel and Fleming could be good third-round options if the Bengals wait until then to take linemen.

Defensive line
DE Kony Ealy, Missouri
DE Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame
DE Scott Crichton, Oregon State
DE Kareem Martin, North Carolina
DE Taylor Hart, Oregon
DE William Clarke, West Virginia
DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State
Analysis: The Bengals truly have their pick of the litter at defensive end in the second and third rounds. Ealy, Tuitt and Crichton were players who had drawn first-round projections by a lot of early mock drafts, so don't be surprised if they are all taken by the end of the second round. Tuitt doesn't fit the Bengals' scheme as well as Ealy and Crichton would, but he's an option in case the other two are gone before 55. Martin, Hart and Clarke all have the height the Bengals could be considering at end, as they try replacing 6-foot-7 Michael Johnson, who batted eight passes at the line of scrimmage last season. Jernigan is a nose tackle reared in a 4-3 base system who could fit if the Bengals wanted another interior lineman.

Linebackers
OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech
OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU
OLB Trent Murphy, Stanford
OLB Telvin Smith, Florida State
Analysis: The linebacker pool weakens significantly after the second and third round, so the Bengals might consider making a move there Friday night. Attaochu is a rangy, hard-hitting "Will" linebacker who played in both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes in college. Van Noy might have the best coverage skills of those listed. Murphy is more of a "Sam" linebacker who could be best used in run support. Smith is a combination linebacker who played inside and outside in college. He reportedly failed the combine drug test, potentially dropping him into the fourth round or later. The Bengals primarily need cover linebackers such as Van Noy, but they will be looking to replace "Sam" backer James Harrison somehow this season, too.

Safeties
S Terrence Brooks, Florida State
S Brock Vereen, Minnesota
S Craig Loston, LSU
Analysis: Now Danieal Manning's late-free agency signing seems to be coming into focus. It would appear the Bengals were potentially anticipating an early run on safeties and cornerbacks, and they thought it best to add a solid veteran in case they weren't able to land a safety in the draft who could compete right away. If they add another defensive back in this draft, that player might come in the later rounds as an addition strictly for depth. Among this list, Brooks is the most enticing option, but he'll likely be gone before No. 55. A hard-hitter who has ball-hawking tendencies, he has high potential. Vereen is similar, and Loston hails from the SEC, the conference the Bengals have drafted from the most under coach Marvin Lewis.

Quarterbacks
QB AJ McCarron, Alabama
QB Zach Mettenberger, LSU
QB Derek Carr, Fresno State
QB Aaron Murray, Georgia
QB Tom Savage, Pittsburgh
QB Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
Analysis: Don't expect the Bengals to act on a quarterback until the third round, and even then that could be a reach. The player on this list who seems to make the most sense is Murray. He's a possible third-round talent who played one year with Bengals receiver A.J. Green and spent high school and most of college passing to then-tight end Orson Charles. Don't be surprised if Murray actually slips, much like the other quarterbacks, to the fourth round. After the first half of the second round, few teams have major quarterback needs.

Looks like the most depth as positions of need for the Bengals are along the lines.  Our second rounder has to be the OL or DL that slides to us, right?

Also, no RB's on this list. I could see us grabbing on in the 3rd.

Looks like the most depth as positions of need for the Bengals are along the lines.  Our second rounder has to be the OL or DL that slides to us, right?

Also, no RB's on this list. I could see us grabbing on in the 3rd.

Agreed.. There are still a bunch of good o-lineman... I really hope they get one in the second that can some in and start at LG...

Today should be interesting, tons of talent still on the board.

nice video of potential 3rd round and beyond OT Wesley Johnson vs. Clowney.

Wesley Johnson's coaches call him a 10 yet starter in the NFL. I am very high on him and James Hurst from UNC as LT prospects later.

Spoiler Alert:  Johnson wins, handily, though I do question whether Clowney was going all out.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/wesley-johnson-vs-south-carolina-2013/

Could Johnson or hurst start at lg right away? That's really what I want in the second or third in an OL. Guy that can start at guard and potential flip with whit in 2015 or 2016.

Not out of the question.     Boling started alot as rookie due to injuries.   Steinbach did from day one, I believe.   Whit started a bunch at LT as rookie due to injury.

Levi Jones not a second rounder but forced the issue that they could not keep on the bench and then an injury happened to Richmond Webb anyway making it moot but he was better than a true vet at the Jon Jackson.

Andre Smith was locked in but then the hold out, injury, conditioning issues kept him off but eventually got on the field.   Willie Anderson started after recovering from knee at LT, I think.

They got a good track record.   Because they got a good coach that can scout.   

Marqise Lee
Cyrus Kouandjio
Joel Bitonio
Kyle Van Noy
Kareem Martin
Kony Ealy
Antonio Richardson
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Marcus Martin
LaMarcus Joyner
Carlos Hyde
Stephon Tuitt
Trent Murphy

Morgan Moses
Louis Nix IIIPICK
Timmy Jernigan
Ra'Shede Hageman
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Jeremy Hill.
Terrence Brooks
Scott Crichton
David Yankey
Jace Amaro
Troy Niklas

My 2nd round wishes ...

G Gabe Jackson – 6’3, 336

OLB Trent Murphy – 6’5, 250

OT Antonio Richardson – 6’6, 336

OLB Jeremiah Attaochu – 6’3, 252

OT Seantrel Henderson – 6’7, 331

G Cyril Richardson – 6’5, 329

RB Tre Mason – 5’8, 207

RB Jeremy Hill – 6’1, 235

C Travis Swanson – 6’5, 312

* (I think we need a OL, OLB, or RB)

My 2nd round wishes ...

RB Tre Mason – 5’8, 207

I think Henderson just got caught with weed again didnt he?

I think Henderson just got caught with weed again didnt he?

I think it was a failed drug test ... however, despite the fact he loves "natural medicine" (which should be legal anyway), his measurables to me are THE MOST impressive of any OL in the draft. With the right head on his shoulders, I think he'd be a top 5 pick. He's worth the risk imo at this stage because of his immense natural ability.

My 2nd round wishes ...

RB Tre Mason – 5’8, 207

Another one for Black Jesus.

I think we could get your guy Seantrel in the 7th round or as an undrafted Vontaze special. His stock is very, very, very low from what I can tell. 

Another one for Black Jesus.

I think we could get your guy Seantrel in the 7th round or as an undrafted Vontaze special. His stock is very, very, very low from what I can tell. 

I'm 2/2 thus far :pimp: ... now we just need Gabe Jackson in Rd 3 and it will be an A+ Draft.

As for Seantrel, to me he has the most impressive measurables of any OL in the draft. With his head on right, he'd be a top 10 pick (just like Vontaze was at one time).

Do you think if we picked Hyde Hobson would do an article titled "Hail Hyde-ra"?!

1181 I know you'd like that! Hah

you owe me 1 minute of my life back. :lol:

5-Carlos-Hyde_zps0d3c87f0.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of Dr. Gio and Mr. Hyde.

But it's not happening now.

Just threw this together pretty quick, but here's my top 25 (the numbers are Mayock's rank) in order:

39. Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada 

24. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama 

47. Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia 

45. Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri 

46. Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State 

48. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota 

56. Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU 

28. Marqise Lee, WR, USC 

33. Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame 

34. Marcus Martin, C, USC 

35. Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State 

31. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State 

44. Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA 

49. Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU 

27. Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington 

59. Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State 

71. Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State 

77. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State 

62. Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State 

36. Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame 

55. Tre Mason, RB, Auburn 

61. Trent Murphy, LB, Stanford 

41. Demarcus Lawrence, LB, Boise State 

80. Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech

82. Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin 

Lots of O Line, D Line and rush LBers which seem the most likely targets based on need.

Also listed the top 4 RBs, any of whom would be a good fit.

Lastly, a few of the top remaining WRs who could end up being the fit as BPA options and a MLB in Borland.

After 75 picks, down to just 3 guys...

Gabe Jackson, Louis Nix and Chris Borland. 

Would be fine with any of them, though not sure they are great scheme fits for us.

Archived