With the 164th Pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Bengals Select AJ McCarron, QB Alabama!!

Most had him at late 2d to early4th. Some may have had him in the 2d. None had him graded as a 5th or 6th rounder. No one was touting him as a first day starter. Bottom line; McCarron was a great value in the 5th for what we wanted,i.e., a young QB to develop behind Dalton. He's better than Murray, Mettenburger, Savage, Thomas, Fales, Gilbert etc. Obviously, we now know the Bengals were very serious about taking a QB in this draft, it was a high priority, and they really liked McCarron. He fell to them. Why are some people complaining about this?

Sigh. Most what ? Kiper , McShay ? It makes no difference what the talking heads say. You & I have no idea where he was rated on NFL teams boards. But results tell me it was closer to 5 vs 2.
IMO people are complaining cause they wanted a diff type vs Dalton 2.0.

Threads on pre season games this year are going to be epic. 

I doubt it. I think all realize he has zero chance this season. And if Dalton signs a new deal prob many seasons. A j actually has a big chance at a success career as I'm typically 99% wrong about players.

Not necessarily true. If Manziel goes one instead of clowney that could have set a whole chain of events that shot aj up the board.

Ie bottles still would have gone three. Browns might have panicked at 4 since the top two qbs were off the board and picked a qb at 4. Now all the sudden 3 qbs in the top 4 picks. Would have completely changed the draft and aj prob would have gone a lot higher.

Same thing with any other position.

I think part of it also was that this was said to be an incredibly deep defensive class.  That pushed many of the QB's, and even some of the RB's down teams board.  And once you hit the 3rd round, teams are drafting for need and fit rather than just BPA.  It only takes one or two teams to pass on a guy for him to fall a full round, just because other teams may not need his position.

McCarron could have gone 90 picks higher than he did, and most of America wouldn't have batted an eye about it being too high.

As far as I'm concerned, McCarron's already earned his stripes to Bengals fans.

I got to lunch and come back to 2 and a half pages worth of posts about a QB who's never taken an NFL snap...that right there makes him a Bengals QB.

:lol:

I doubt it. I think all realize he has zero chance this season. And if Dalton signs a new deal prob many seasons. A j actually has a big chance at a success career as I'm typically 99% wrong about players.

I think we'll get some posters doing what GO has done towards Datlon from day 1. Then the natural rebuttle about playing with guys that will be selling cars in a few weeks, needs time.

Or if he goes off and Dalton struggles there will be that crowd too. It's going to be a whole bunch of fun this summer.

Here's a scouting report for a certain Tom Brady. It sounds similar to McCarron in many ways.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?454262-Tom-Brady-s-2000-pre-draft-scouting-report-Sound-familiar

and that's who he reminds me of, and why I love the pick.  Will he be Tom Brady?  Probably not.  But as far as McCarron's personality/attitude, its not nearly as bad as what people say.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger.  On the field, they're all dicks.  The latter 2 are kind of known to be off the field too.  A year an a half ago, Marvin Lewis sat in a press conference and said these exact words "I need Andy Dalton and Rey Maualuga to be more of a dick".  

sometimes, its ok to have a little bit of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=582un3oOUbk

up 28 points in the 4th quarter of a championship game, still competing to be perfect.  That's something Brady and Manning would do.

If there's one thing Dalton has lacked, its the willingness to get in guys faces when they screw up.

Most had him at late 2d to early4th. Some may have had him in the 2d. None had him graded as a 5th or 6th rounder. No one was touting him as a first day starter. Bottom line; McCarron was a great value in the 5th for what we wanted,i.e., a young QB to develop behind Dalton. He's better than Murray, Mettenburger, Savage, Thomas, Fales, Gilbert etc. Obviously, we now know the Bengals were very serious about taking a QB in this draft, it was a high priority, and they really liked McCarron. He fell to them. Why are some people complaining about this?

But all of that is preseason chatter from the pretenders.  When a guy falls 10-20 picks, especially if his position goes unaddressed in the interim, maybe you can chirp about getting value.  But beyond that, his real value is exactly where he was picked.  He was the 9th guy taken at the most important position in football. He was passed on 163 times by teams who had a chance to take him, including those desperate for QBs.  He wasn't tat highly valued.  

No on e is hoping this guy will be the next Tom Brady more than me, but I won't be holding my breath.

and that's who he reminds me of, and why I love the pick.  Will he be Tom Brady?  Probably not.  But as far as McCarron's personality/attitude, its not nearly as bad as what people say.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger.  On the field, they're all dicks.  The latter 2 are kind of known to be off the field too.  A year an a half ago, Marvin Lewis sat in a press conference and said these exact words "I need Andy Dalton and Rey Maualuga to be more of a dick".  

up 28 points in the 4th quarter of a championship game, still competing to be perfect.  That's something Brady and Manning would do.

If there's one thing Dalton has lacked, its the willingness to get in guys faces when they screw up.

Dude, I love this pick like no other. FUCK all the so called scouts that think Derrick Carr or Bortles are better than him. The dude kicked ass in college at the best confrence. This guy will win for us in big time games more than Dalton IMO. And the fact that we got him in the 5th round is even more amazing. Manziel will be total shit in Queefland. We fucking Robbed this draft like no other. The RB from FSU is going to be another Vontaze type pick IMO. Time will tell. 

Dude, I love this pick like no other. FUCK all the so called scouts that think Derrick Carr or Bortles are better than him. The dude kicked ass in college at the best confrence. This guy will win for us in big time games more than Dalton IMO. And the fact that we got him in the 5th round is even more amazing. Manziel will be total shit in Queefland. We fucking Robbed this draft like no other. The RB from FSU is going to be another Vontaze type pick IMO. Time will tell. 

Straight up murdered this draft!

Even if I screw up, anyone who gets in my face telling me I screwed up, gets punched. Just ask my dad.

ah, good to see my dick still works after balls snipping...

ahh, so now we get why you've always felt such an affinity for carson palmer, who's notoriously suffered a similar malady. it's finally starting to make sense!

:ninja:

Straight up murdered this draft!

I agree, given the realities of what we could have picked when.  You could argue one way or another about taking a OL in the 2nd and RB in 4th, for example, but we did as well as we could have hoped for a draft that frankly wasn't stacked our way (eg: OL depth not great from 16-50, CB depth not good from 16-50, etc.).  We came away with:

1) Arguably the best CB in the draft (but def top 3).

2) Arguably the best RB in the draft (but def top 3).

3) One of the top 4 DEs that fit our specs (6'6+ 265+, athletic, upside).

4) A center that probably was in our top 3, fits our specs, has been tagged a probable starter by the likes of Lap, and that our coach wanted on the team from the moment he first interviewed him.

5) And a backup QB with a super hot girlfriend.

I agree, given the realities of what we could have picked when.  You could argue one way or another about taking a OL in the 2nd and RB in 4th, for example, but we did as well as we could have hoped for a draft that frankly wasn't stacked our way (eg: OL depth not great from 16-50, CB depth not good from 16-50, etc.).  We came away with:

1) Arguably the best CB in the draft (but def top 3).

2) Arguably the best RB in the draft (but def top 3).

3) One of the top 4 DEs that fit our specs (6'6+ 265+, athletic, upside).

4) A center that probably was in our top 3, fits our specs, has been tagged a probable starter by the likes of Lap, and that our coach wanted on the team from the moment he first interviewed him.

5) And a backup QB with a super hot girlfriend.

And as for OL depth, we have Hawkinson and TJ Johnston from last year (aside from the fellows who played a lot) and we resigned Pollack and signed that OT from Green Bay.  So now with a potential starting C, we have a number of irons in the fire for starters and depth.

Bottomline:  if all the people that constantly claim "watch the games"  over his 3 year career were truly that confident in Andy Dalton then they wouldn't sound so defensive about a 5th round qb, lol.

As for Dalton, he has no problems if he takes care of the issues he's displayed as a young QB.   

truths.

And as for OL depth, we have Hawkinson and TJ Johnston from last year (aside from the fellows who played a lot) and we resigned Pollack and signed that OT from Green Bay.  So now with a potential starting C, we have a number of irons in the fire for starters and depth.

I'm going to have to hope for one of the guys who was already on the team (Pollak, Hawkinson, Johnston) improving significantly in the off-season, or Newhouse somehow playing LG (which he's said he will, but we don't have much tackle depth so I don't see them taking that risk).  LG was a weak spot.

I'm going to have to hope for one of the guys who was already on the team (Pollak, Hawkinson, Johnston) improving significantly in the off-season, or Newhouse somehow playing LG (which he's said he will, but we don't have much tackle depth so I don't see them taking that risk).  LG was a weak spot.

There's always the late FAs to be had later if all of those options come up lame.  The coaches know the teams' weaknesses too.  The fact that OL wasn't given a huge priority might just signal that they already have a solution in place.

Based on the way they drafted, it appears that the Staff is comfortable with the options they have.  I know you didn't like Cook, but it reminds me of the year everyone said we needed a Center, but they didn't think so because they knew what they had in Cook.  And if Jethro can take the Starting C job by the horns, I definitely don't see a problem with Pollak being the LG.  I thought he played extremely well last year.

Archived