Rey getting first team reps at MLB

Bengals MLB Vincent Rey is getting reps with the first-team defense during OTAs. Analysis: Rey made three starts in place of an injured Rey Maualuga last season, finishing with 32 tackles and three sacks. He was an upgrade both against the run and in pass coverage, and will be given an opportunity to earn the starting job in camp. At worst, Rey should see heavy snaps behind Maualuga in a sub-package role.

Rey was great last year.

They're splitting reps or is Rey M. hurt or not attending?

Sounds like just splitting reps. Guys like Devon Still got a chance with the first team also. Wouldn't read too much into this. They've always liked to give some of the top backups time with the first team in practice.

I like Vinny, and I'm okay with the Bengals going linebacker early in next year's draft. I just don't remember him being an upgrade on Rey. I remember being excited for him, but not caring when Rey came back from injury.

I like Vinny, and I'm okay with the Bengals going linebacker early in next year's draft. I just don't remember him being an upgrade on Rey. I remember being excited for him, but not caring when Rey came back from injury.

Vinny had 4 sacks, 2 INT and a FF in about a 10th of the other Rey's snaps....Maualuga had 1 sack and 1 INT for the season. What exactly does it take to impress you?

Vinny had 4 sacks, 2 INT and a FF in about a 10th of the other Rey's snaps....Maualuga had 1 sack and 1 INT for the season. What exactly does it take to impress you?

Exactly, Vinny Rey is a big playmaker. Every good defense needs to have playmakers at the LB position and Vinny Rey has proven he can do just that. Maualuga is steady at best, I don't think we will would miss much if we replaced him with Vinny Rey. 

Wow I know everyone hates Rey M and that vinny played well in a few games, but calling him a big playmaker or "great" are just slight over exaggerations.

Sample sizes folks.

With that being said if guenther wants to give him more snaps to prove himself, fine with me.

Wow I know everyone hates Rey M and that vinny played well in a few games, but calling him a big playmaker or "great" are just slight over exaggerations.

Sample sizes folks.

With that being said if guenther wants to give him more snaps to prove himself, fine with me.

Rey led the defense with 13 tackles, three quarterback sacks, three tackles for loss, three passes defensed, and an interception, while maintaining his role on special teams with two additional stops. Two of his sacks were on third down, forcing the Ravens to punt.

Rey led the defense with 13 tackles, three quarterback sacks, three tackles for loss, three passes defensed, and an interception, while maintaining his role on special teams with two additional stops. Two of his sacks were on third down, forcing the Ravens to punt.

Yeah he had an awesome game. But once again, sample sizes. Many players have 1 or 2 good games, putting it together for a full season is another story. Not saying Rey can't do it, but I think we need to temper out enthusiasm a little before calling him a big playmaker or a great player.

Yeah he had an awesome game. But once again, sample sizes. Many players have 1 or 2 good games, putting it together for a full season is another story. Not saying Rey can't do it, but I think we need to temper out enthusiasm a little before calling him a big playmaker or a great player.

Ok, but then you have to admit just how lousy Rey Maualuga has been the last few years. Vinnie Rey had 2 big games (vs the Ravens and Vikings) but that's 2 more than Maualuga had.

Hard from him to show much more when he isn't getting the snaps. Also I'd say he showed he can make splash plays when given the chance.
I'm not a Ray M hater. But when had he had a game like that ?

No one is implying that he is going to have 15 sacks 10 INT and 5FF a year, obviously. He would be the greatest defensive player of all time if that were the case. But isn't there something to be said for making plays when you have the opportunity?

Rey M has 4 sacks, 4 INT and 6 FF in his CAREER, a full 5 years and 73 games. That is a hell of a sample size and it proves conclusively that Rey M doesn't make many impact plays. V Rey won't get 3 sacks and an INT in every game, but it sure is nice knowing he's done it before.

In Rey's 3 starts last year he avg 10.66 tackles, 1 sack, 1.33 pd, and .33 Int's. In reserve duty he also manage to force a fumble and return it for a td. The stats show what with regular playing time he will make big plays. 

As for Rey M. the stats show that he is not a big playmaker and steady at best. In reality he is a liability on and off the field and considered to be the most overrated player on the team. 

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/5/29/5762580/quick-snap-rey-maualuga-most-over-rated

On the other hand, he led the Bengals in missed tackles for a third-straight season in 2013. Since replacing Dhani Jones in 2011, receivers (tight ends and running backs) that he's covered have caught the football at a 78.6 percent clip and opposing quarterbacks have a 102.2 passer rating when throwing to players that he's covering.

Still... is that a fair assessment? In the end, if you're the one putting Maualuga on the perch, then realizing that he might be overrated, that's your damned fault. We're not being cruel. We're realists...

No one is implying that he is going to have 15 sacks 10 INT and 5FF a year, obviously. He would be the greatest defensive player of all time if that were the case. But isn't there something to be said for making plays when you have the opportunity?

Rey M has 4 sacks, 4 INT and 6 FF in his CAREER, a full 5 years and 73 games. That is a hell of a sample size and it proves conclusively that Rey M doesn't make many impact plays. V Rey won't get 3 sacks and an INT in every game, but it sure is nice knowing he's done it before.

I think through his body of work ReyM has shown that he is average to slightly below average during his time here.  Vinny Rey was non-existent until last season and played pretty well in his stint.  Those good numbers are skewed by his fantastic Balt game, but it's all we really have to go on.  I'm not ready to anoint him as the starter but if he can consistently outperform ReyM throughout the offseason and camps, I have a better feeling that Guenther would give the nod to VRey over ReyM moreseo that Zimmer would have. 

So I think it's great that Vinny is getting some reps with the 1's and personally hope he does beat out ReyM.  But I'm still unsure that he could hold up for a full season and produce at the level of those three games.  I'm not ready to say that's who he really is as a player yet (due to the previously mentioned small sample size), but it's good to hear that he's getting a shot and they he may actually be in the running for starting MLB.  That'd give us an all-UDFA LB group too.... kinda crazy that that could actually happen.

One thing to consider is that if he does earn the starting sport, we lose a versatile backup since ReyM isn't going to back up all the spots.  Let's hope that we see something out of Porter or Flowers if Vinny gets the starting nod.

One thing to consider is that if he does earn the starting sport, we lose a versatile backup since ReyM isn't going to back up all the spots.  Let's hope that we see something out of Porter or Flowers if Vinny gets the starting nod.

Rey can back up SLB though. 

In Rey's 3 starts last year he avg 10.66 tackles, 1 sack, 1.33 pd, and .33 Int's. In reserve duty he also manage to force a fumble and return it for a td. The stats show what with regular playing time he will make big plays. 

As for Rey M. the stats show that he is not a big playmaker and steady at best. In reality he is a liability on and off the field and considered to be the most overrated player on the team. 

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/5/29/5762580/quick-snap-rey-maualuga-most-over-rated

I don't know why you keep bringing up Rey M as I am not saying I like Rey m or that I think he is a great staring mlb. He's definitely not a playmaker but when he is playing well he is a good run stopping mlb.

As for vinny, I think if you are assuming that because of 3 good games it means he is going to be a really good lb over the course of 16 games, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm not saying he can't be a good starting linebacker, but a couple games is way to small of a sample size to make that determination.

Archived