Rey getting first team reps at MLB

What about seeing if we could trade Maualuga to the Cowboys since his deal is up at the end of year I doubt they bring him back for a long term deal. Might be able to get a mid round pick for a guy who should be a backup. 

FWIW, Coley Harevey says no form his weekend mailbag piece...

@ColeyHarvey Cards and Cowboys need a linebacker any chance we trade Maualuga to either of them?

@ColeyHarveyZero chance. The Bengals need linebackers, particularly those who can play in the middle of the field. Right now, they don't have many outside Maualuga, Vincent Rey and J.K. Schaffer, who can. And yes, USA Today may have called Maualuga the most overrated player on the team earlier this week, but the organization still seems to like him. He's going nowhere for now.

Also... these guys are probably cheaper?/better? at this point...
Cowboys considering Vilma, Urlacher? in.gif

June, 2, 2014
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

UPDATE: As noted below, the Cowboys have considered Jonathan Vilma and Brian Urlacher as potential replacement options for Sean Lee, but ESPN's Ed Werder later asked a team source how much interest the Cowboys have in them and was told "not much."
---
The expectation is that Sean Lee will miss the entire 2014 campaign after reportedly tearing the ACL in his left knee. The good news for the Dallas Cowboys is that they have several months to find a replacement for Lee. The bad news is that the free-agent market is barren in terms of securing an impact linebacker.

To wit, ESPN's Ed Werder reported Monday morning that Jonathan Vilma and Brian Urlacher are on the Cowboys' radar.

"The Cowboys are considering all options, including the possibility of signing a veteran such as Jonathan Vilma or Brian Urlacher, who mentioned the Cowboys as a team of interest to him last year when he was between being released by the Bears and retirement," said Werder.

"I'm told Urlacher would be interested in considering a return to the NFL if the Cowboys were to demonstrate interest in reuniting him with former defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

"But the Cowboys believe it would still take two players to fill the void left by Lee, their most indispensable defensive player. It seems hard to imagine the NFL's worst defense can improve significantly without Lee, DeMarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher."

Urlacher, now 36, retired before the 2013 campaign after getting no interest as a free agent following his release from the Bears. Vilma is 32 years old and has been battling knee injuries.

In the end, a trade may be their best hope to replace Lee:

To JB's point and not defending Rey at the same time. We had a reserve/role LB like Bradon Johnson that would come in and play very well in that role. Whenever he got more snaps he kinda sucked bad or got hurt.

I personally think that starting LB for the Bengals isn't going to mean much this year outside of Burfict. We are probably in line for more specialization and game situation determining the snap count this year.

What about seeing if we could trade Maualuga to the Cowboys since his deal is up at the end of year I doubt they bring him back for a long term deal. Might be able to get a mid round pick for a guy who should be a backup. 

That's a good idea. Dallas is said to be looking for a 2 down run stopper so Rey M might fit their needs.

Vinny had 4 sacks, 2 INT and a FF in about a 10th of the other Rey's snaps....Maualuga had 1 sack and 1 INT for the season. What exactly does it take to impress you?

I don't have any particular fondness for Rey M, but I don't recall outcry from the board when he came back from injury. Consensus at the time seemed to be that Vinny looked bad against the run in the Miami game, but better against the run against the Ravens and Browns (who were two of the worst rushing offenses in the league last year). People liked the idea of having Rey in on first and second down, and Vinny in for passing downs... Which is how it had been playing out before and after Rey's injury. Another popular point after the Ravens game was that Vinny was benefitting from being the unknown quantity surrounded by a well known group of defenders. He was unblocked altogether on two of his sacks, and the INT was an opportunistic one off a Dunlap tip (rather than a coverage INT).

Those are not my grandiose findings from studying film, but the opinion of the board in threads from the time:

Rey or Rey?

Vincent Rey

Ravens Game Recap

I think Vinny has shown to be good depth, and better on passing downs than Rey. I think Rey still holds the edge on running downs. I just think neither has shown to be complete enough for the avoid a linebacker early in the next draft...

I like Vinny, and hope the best for him. I like Rey, and hopes he shows me something. I am genuinely not a hater of either guy.

On a final note about the INTs, sacks, and passes defensed: Vinny did play considerably more than 'about a 10th of the other Rey's snaps.' Rey was almost never the every down back, and Vinny played most 3rd downs and obvious passing downs. That is going to skew things in his direction on pass related stats.

You are right about the snaps, I was pretty far off on that. I just looked it up and he played 353 versus 659. So it was actually closer to 55%. My bad.

That said, I still think that kind of production in 20 snaps a game is impressive. Rey M definitely has some value as a pure run stopper, but I think that type of role is getting smaller and smaller based on the type of offenses the NFL is moving to. I'm happy to see that they are at least giving VRey a chance to prove himself. I think the more he gets on the field the better.

To JB's point and not defending Rey at the same time. We had a reserve/role LB like Bradon Johnson that would come in and play very well in that role. Whenever he got more snaps he kinda sucked bad or got hurt.

I personally think that starting LB for the Bengals isn't going to mean much this year outside of Burfict. We are probably in line for more specialization and game situation determining the snap count this year.

I'm hoping that we end up having two three-down LBs this season in Burfict and Lamur. If Lamur is taking Harrison's LB spot on 1st and 2nd down, why wouldn't he take Vinny Rey's/Taylor Mays' nickel LB spot on 3rd downs since coverage is his specialty? I think the less defensive substitutions a team is forced to do based on down and distance the better they are overall. Just makes them that much harder to attack.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Rey M as I am not saying I like Rey m or that I think he is a great staring mlb. He's definitely not a playmaker but when he is playing well he is a good run stopping mlb.

As for vinny, I think if you are assuming that because of 3 good games it means he is going to be a really good lb over the course of 16 games, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm not saying he can't be a good starting linebacker, but a couple games is way to small of a sample size to make that determination.

I not assuming anything, I'm looking at the stats and going by what I've seen on the field. Vinny has been a standout special teams player that when gotten the chance to start has played very well. I'm saying that based on what I saw in three games from Vinny he showed me more than what I've seen in 3 years from Rey. 

Rey isn't some pro bowl future HOF'er that is incapable of being replaced, he's a marginal starter that is a liability in passing situations. I think we should be looking to replace Rey with a more versatile player and Vinny fits the bill, imo. 

I not assuming anything, I'm looking at the stats and going by what I've seen on the field. Vinny has been a standout special teams player that when gotten the chance to start has played very well. I'm saying that based on what I saw in three games from Vinny he showed me more than what I've seen in 3 years from Rey. 

Rey isn't some pro bowl future HOF'er that is incapable of being replaced, he's a marginal starter that is a liability in passing situations. I think we should be looking to replace Rey with a more versatile player and Vinny fits the bill, imo. 

Plus Vincent seems far more athletic and smart imo

"The stats show what with regular playing time he will make big plays." 

Seems like an assumption to me.

But whatever, our opinions arent that far off. My whole point is just that 2-3 good games doesnt make the guy a good starter. Do I hope he can show enough that he could maybe take over for Rey M and prove he can make big plays over more than a 3 game period? Sure. Would I bet on it happening? Probably not. If I was a betting man, Rey M will continue to get most the snaps at MLB, but Vinny will get some opportunities, especially on passing downs.

Yeah, he's faster and smarter than Maualuga.

Vinny ran a 4.58 at his pro day while Maualuga ran a 4.89. Burfict came in an UDFA and he is the leader of a defense that Maualuga had been the MLB of for 2 years prior to his arrival. Burfict calls out the plays and gets everybody lined up, that normally is the MLB job on most defenses. 

But whatever, our opinions arent that far off. My whole point is just that 2-3 good games doesnt make the guy a good starter. Do I hope he can show enough that he could maybe take over for Rey M and prove he can make big plays over more than a 3 game period? Sure. Would I bet on it happening? Probably not. If I was a betting man, Rey M will continue to get most the snaps at MLB, but Vinny will get some opportunities, especially on passing downs.

Of course its an assumption. But it's an educated assumption.

Of course its an assumption. But it's an educated assumption.

Based on three games worth of play...

Based on that we can assume Jerome simpson is going to be a great player because he had a good 3 games stretch at the end of this 2nd year. 

100s of other cases like that.

Dont get me wrong, I hope hes great obviously. But assuming he will be based on 3 games worth of information is not an educated assumption and also why the coaches arent ready to hand him a starting position.

Based on that we can assume Jerome simpson is going to be a great player because he had a good 3 games stretch at the end of this 2nd year. 

100s of other cases like that.

Dont get me wrong, I hope hes great obviously. But assuming he will be based on 3 games worth of information is not an educated assumption and also why the coaches arent ready to hand him a starting position.

There are 100s of cases where guys have three good games and go on to be stars. Probably every star ever.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Rey M as I am not saying I like Rey m or that I think he is a great staring mlb. He's definitely not a playmaker but when he is playing well he is a good run stopping mlb.

As for vinny, I think if you are assuming that because of 3 good games it means he is going to be a really good lb over the course of 16 games, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm not saying he can't be a good starting linebacker, but a couple games is way to small of a sample size to make that determination.

People probably said the same crap about Taze. The fact is, he made plays when given the opportunity. He deserves the shot

There are 100s of cases where guys have three good games and go on to be stars. Probably every star ever.

And there are thousands of cases where guys have a good three games and are out of football two years later.

It's not an assumption because there is proof that Vinny can be effective as a starter in the NFL, whether or not the proof is enough is where we are disagreeing but there is proof that Rey can make plays if given extended playing time.  

I don't have any particular fondness for Rey M, but I don't recall outcry from the board when he came back from injury. Consensus at the time seemed to be that Vinny looked bad against the run in the Miami game, but better against the run against the Ravens and Browns (who were two of the worst rushing offenses in the league last year). People liked the idea of having Rey in on first and second down, and Vinny in for passing downs... Which is how it had been playing out before and after Rey's injury. Another popular point after the Ravens game was that Vinny was benefitting from being the unknown quantity surrounded by a well known group of defenders. He was unblocked altogether on two of his sacks, and the INT was an opportunistic one off a Dunlap tip (rather than a coverage INT).

Those are not my grandiose findings from studying film, but the opinion of the board in threads from the time:

Rey or Rey?

Vincent Rey

Ravens Game Recap

I think Vinny has shown to be good depth, and better on passing downs than Rey. I think Rey still holds the edge on running downs. I just think neither has shown to be complete enough for the avoid a linebacker early in the next draft...

I like Vinny, and hope the best for him. I like Rey, and hopes he shows me something. I am genuinely not a hater of either guy.

On a final note about the INTs, sacks, and passes defensed: Vinny did play considerably more than 'about a 10th of the other Rey's snaps.' Rey was almost never the every down back, and Vinny played most 3rd downs and obvious passing downs. That is going to skew things in his direction on pass related stats.

Good post. I'm not a big Rey M. fan or anything either. But I think he gets a little bit of a bad rap here. He does some of the unsexy stuff that is important to have a good run stopping D. Filling his hole. Meeting the FB or a pulling OG head on and not getting knocked backwards. 

They just need to put him in a position to do the stuff he does well. And try not to expose him too much in the areas where he struggles (mainly coverage). When he has looked the worst, it was because he was forced to play every down due to injuries (Thomas Howard was going to be the coverage guy 2 years ago and Lamur was going to be the coverage guy last year). It was never the plan for him to be out there on 3rd down going into those seasons, but they had to adjust due to injuries. 

I also agree that Vinny's best role long term is as a super sub. Ideally, we can get a long term answer at MLB next spring in the draft. 

And the benefactor of this site has that, physically freakish failure of a football player (and the quitter), as his avatar.

The "staff" and mods are slaves to the agenda. If that is not the case, it's a fantastic coincidence.

The Cincinnati Bengals have never been better Period

Archived