WORLD CUP 2014

That kick to the face was accidental.....unfortunate but accidental.  What about that header though?  Wow.....87th min after Ghana had captured ALL the momentum.  And the circumstances surrounding the corner.....the Ghana player barely touched it before it went out but he definitely touched it.  I always find the moments that lead up to goals to be very interesting and often times so crucial in getting a goal. 

Brasil vs Mexico today is going to be interesting.  Germany looked tough vs Portugal.  Look like the team to beat thus far. 

Pretty good? England? Maybe in 1990. Every year is a down year for us. The trouble is we played the "golden generation" until they were in their mid 30s, and then at the last moment realised they might be old and shit. So we're blooding some youngsters. All the pundits are complaining about their lack of experience and how we should have picked some of the 30 somethings for their experience.

But then pundits are stupid. If you always use 30-somethings with experience, how will the youngsters ever get any.

So in short, we're in a transitional phase, not helped by a coach from the 1920s.

A German friend of mine who really, really, really dislikes the English, complains that England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales are not countries yet field their own teams.  Do you think a UK team would fare better than an English team?  Let's assume the teams don't have to have a certain number of Scots, Irish, etc.

A German friend of mine who really, really, really dislikes the English, complains that England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales are not countries yet field their own teams.  Do you think a UK team would fare better than an English team?  Let's assume the teams don't have to have a certain number of Scots, Irish, etc.

For sure, they would have Bale.

gareth-bale-goal-barcelona-real-madrid-c

I would love an all-UK team.  If we would've had such a team over the last 20 years.  Ryan Giggs could have been the player available to put the team over the top.  But what the German's and other countries outside of the UK don't get is the hostile hatred that exists from the Scots, Welsh, Irish towards the English.  These "countries" see the English as dictators and this goes back to the days of when the English-Scots union in 1702 for example.

Basically, the English have abused the real idea of what it means to be British over the years and it has consequently been dissolved into being English.  And understandably, the Scots, Irish, Welsh don't like it and have built up this resentment.  And this feeling also runs through the respective football associations in Scotland, Ireland, and Wales.

Odds are heavily in favor of the US advancing.  I think 80% of teams who win their first match go on to advance to the knockout stage.  I think Thursday will be fun, but in the end maybe a 1 goal win for Germany or a tie, advancing both Germany and the US. 

But Ronaldo......easy to tell he wasn't fit, but in the end arguably the best player in the world made a hell of a cross.....and the guy who subbed into the match got the dramatic, game tying goal. 

Odds are heavily in favor of the US advancing.  I think 80% of teams who win their first match go on to advance to the knockout stage.  I think Thursday will be fun, but in the end maybe a 1 goal win for Germany or a tie, advancing both Germany and the US. 

But Ronaldo......easy to tell he wasn't fit, but in the end arguably the best player in the world made a hell of a cross.....and the guy who subbed into the match got the dramatic, game tying goal. 

Yeah it should never have come to that though. Bradley just had to boot the ball away instead of being cute. Not to mention no awareness by the D.
Hopefully it won't matter.

We should be in regardless of goal deferential! Right?

That goal from Portugal was a punch in the gut though really :(

Here is the ways the Americans can move on:

1) Defeat Germany
2) Germany game end in a tie
3) The Ghana/Portugal game end in a tie
4) Lose to Germany but have a higher goal differential than the winner of the Ghana/Portugal game.

The goal differentials right now are:
Americans + 1
Ghana -1
Portugal -4

Archived