Church group votes to boycott Redskins over name

Go Skins

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/25778271/church-group-votes-to-boycott-redskins-over-name

NEWARK, Del. (AP) -- A major sector of the United Church of Christ is calling for a boycott of the Washington Redskins until the team changes its name.

The Central Atlantic Conferenceicon1.png passed a resolution Saturday to become the latest organization to denounce a name that has frequently been condemned as a racial slur.

The conference said it will urge its 40,000 members in D.C., New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and parts of Virginia and West Virginia to boycott the team's gamesicon1.png and merchandise.

uhm

so if they are die hard church members enough to boycott, wouldnt they be at church on sunday and not at the game already anyway?

worst planned protest ever...

its like students boycotting school in July...

The UCC typically has more than one service on Sunday and usually early enough to go to the game. I really have to wonder how this was instigated. I suppose I could look at prominent members of the UCC who happen to be politicians but I already know the answer to this one... What happened to separation of church and state or did I miss something ?

What does separation of church and state have to do with this though?

While I may agree with a well thought out argument that the name "Redskins" is offensive (having been a lifelong fan of that team until I adopted the Bengals in 1992), at the same time this has nothing to do with some stupid church.

Churches need to mind their own business and speaking of which, thank their Gods that they aren't taxed like the businesses they actually are, rather than the charitable organizations they pretend to be.

This is solely an NFL issue. If the owners get together and decide that the name needs to be changed, then it will change. It's not unprecedented (especially not in DC...."Bullets" becoming "Wizards"...which was really a lame justification, IMHO) but it isn't some casual affair whereby Snyder, d-bag that he might be, is going to just give up the rights to the name and all the money that it brings in with merchandise, etc without a fight.

What does separation of church and state have to do with ....

It's my own moral definition of separation. I stopped going to one when I saw political literature / agendas being handed out and discussed inside the walls of the church. While social issues should be discussed, the church or churches should not throw their weight behind a political agenda. I have seen up close and personal how nasty those things get. I lived and worked in Pensacola during the abortion clinic bombings. My ancestors were persecuted as part of a political agenda set against religion and immigrants in the worst riots Louisville had ever experienced.

In other words, Kenneth speaks the truth.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/capital-games/US-Patent-Office-Cancels-Trademark-For-Redskins.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins' trademark registrations, ruling that the polarizing moniker is "disparaging to Native Americans." 

“We decide, based on the evidence properly before us, that these registrations must be cancelled because they were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered,” the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board wrote in its opinion.

The ruling cancels six trademarks containing the team's name.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/capital-games/US-Patent-Office-Cancels-Trademark-For-Redskins.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins' trademark registrations, ruling that the polarizing moniker is "disparaging to Native Americans." 

“We decide, based on the evidence properly before us, that these registrations must be cancelled because they were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered,” the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board wrote in its opinion.

The ruling cancels six trademarks containing the team's name.

That is huge in regards to how the Redskins make money...

The ruling means the Redskins would lose several legal benefits associated with the trademarks, including the use of the ® symbol, and the ability to register with U.S. Customs and Border Patrol to ensure that counterfeit foreign goods aren't imported.

The UCC typically has more than one service on Sunday and usually early enough to go to the game. I really have to wonder how this was instigated. I suppose I could look at prominent members of the UCC who happen to be politicians but I already know the answer to this one... What happened to separation of church and state or did I miss something ?

certainly not a time constraint only, but i mentally have a hesitation seeing dudes going to 7am church service, going home, getting into thier dresses and pig masks, and heading to the tailgate...

in addition, i was "educated" in ohio, but i feel i remember something about some christians murdering indians as they viewed christianity as the only redemptive religion... i may be wrong... but murdering the non believers is kind of a christian thing #theoriginalterrorists... 

if my memory is factual, it makes this whole thing pretty funny at face value..

i think they should change the name... i just dont think this boycott scenario is even a 1% factor.

Archived