Iraq

BengalBacker

More substrate: The True Story of Lawrence of Arabia

But Faisal’s young liaison officer also harbored a guilty secret. From his time in Cairo, Lawrence was aware of the extravagant promises the British government had made to Hussein in order to raise the Arab Revolt: full independence for virtually the entire Arab world. What Lawrence also knew was that just months after cementing that deal with Hussein, Britain had entered into a secret compact with its chief ally in the war, France. Under the Sykes-Picot Agreement, the future independent Arab nation was to be relegated to the wastelands of Arabia, while all the regions of value—Iraq, greater Syria—were to be allocated to the imperial spheres of Britain and France. As Lawrence recruited ever more tribes to the cause of future Arab independence, he became increasingly conscience-stricken by the “dead letter” promises he was making, and finally reached a breaking point. His first act of sedition—and by most any standards, a treasonous one—was to inform Faisal of the existence of Sykes-Picot. His second would lead to the greatest triumph of his career: the capture of Aqaba.

When I lived on Oxford in the late 90's the fight against Boehner was hopeless.

He ran unopposed last time, which tells you everything you need to know about the reality of our political process

edit: There were other candidates, just none from the other party that is considered acceptable to vote for

Here's his district Map.  It's quite obvious why it's hard to beat him.

The Democratic party had a much larger turnout than they're likely to get this November and they didn't even bother to run an opposing candidate? Smells like collusion to me. At least present an alternative FFS. I'd bet a Dem ran unopposed somewhere else in Ohio as a result.

His approval ratings are supposedly terrible right now yet I haven't seen or heard of any campaign to unseat him. It's suspect as hell IMO.

• 1 month later...

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=56481

Islamic State terrorists have begun their promised killing of Christians in Mosul, and they have started with the children. According to a report via CNN, a Chaldean-American businessman has said that killings have started in Mosul and children's heads are being erected on poles in a city park.

Edit: Guess I should warn there are some very graphic images in the link, including a beheaded little girl.

Yeah, some religions progress thru the centuries, others do not.

Christianity didn't progress they just became comfortable, Poor  Christians in Africa kill people in the name of Christianity all the time,  you won't hear that on Fox News,

if these ISIS fuckers were raised Christian they would be killing in the name of Christ,  if you have large groups of uneducated poor people they will be easily coerced into violence from whatever religion they are being brainwashed by

• 2 weeks later...

Christianity didn't progress they just became comfortable, Poor  Christians in Africa kill people in the name of Christianity all the time,  you won't hear that on Fox News,

if these ISIS fuckers were raised Christian they would be killing in the name of Christ,  if you have large groups of uneducated poor people they will be easily coerced into violence from whatever religion they are being brainwashed by

Give me a break.  Show me the large areas of the world where Christians are executing people in the name of their religion.   A few Africans does not equate, or even come close to ISIS or Iran.

Show me any country that is operated under Christian or even Jewish Law, you can't.  

Give me a break.  Show me the large areas of the world where Christians are executing people in the name of their religion.   A few Africans does not equate, or even come close to ISIS or Iran.

Show me any country that is operated under Christian or even Jewish Law, you can't.  

Does Israel qualify?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/10/central-african-republic-christian-militias-revenge

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/tens-of-thousands-of-muslims-flee-christian-militias-in-central-african-republic/2014/02/07/5a1adbb2-9032-11e3-84e1-27626c5ef5fb_story.html

Did you read the article before cutting and pasting them?  Who started the the war?  Here is a clue:

The seeds were sown in March last year when the Seleka, a largely Muslim rebel group, seized Bangui in a coup, installed the country's first Muslim president, Michel Djotodia, and terrorised the majority Christian population, killing men, women and children.

Sorry, it looks like some Christians have decided to fight back rather than be slaughtered like sheep.

There is most definitely something wrong with them.

Yes, to you and I and the rest of the non Islamic world we think so.

The problem is a HUGE number of human beings who ascribe to the Sunni brand of Islam see this as the preordained establishment of the next Sunni Caliphate which simply has no problem exterminating non believers to reach their goals.  

To be fair, Christians got a ~500-year head start in order to get all their slaughtering and what-not out of the way.  Plenty of slaughtering, at that. I mean, damn, really setting the bar in the ol' slaughter department. What's more, a good bit of that widespread slaughter was aimed at Muslims, so it's a little weird to stand back now and imply that it's a fundamentally violent religion when the morally-superior Christians have gone out of their way several different times in a very determined effort to exterminate them. 

For that matter, the clashes between the various sects of Islam are rooted more in ethnic/tribal/territorial rivalries with religion used as fancy window dressing for a much less noble cause - something any Christian familiar with their faith's real history should easily recognize.  (So, like, at least a couple dozen people.)  What's more, a lot of those rivalries were purposefully instigated by Christian countries when dividing up the region.

Add to that the state of Israel (get real, that is a country based on Judaism regardless of what wikipedia calls their form of government) who formed a nation using terrorism to gain control of the most contentious bit of real estate on Earth, and that's basically 90% of the conflict in the region right there.  Add to that our own adventures over oil supplies and there's the other 10%.  We've spent the last several decades variously militarizing and destabilizing the region, often both at once, and we want to blame the violence on religious differences?

To be fair, Christians got a ~500-year head start in order to get all their slaughtering and what-not out of the way.  Plenty of slaughtering, at that. I mean, damn, really setting the bar in the ol' slaughter department. What's more, a good bit of that widespread slaughter was aimed at Muslims, so it's a little weird to stand back now and imply that it's a fundamentally violent religion when the morally-superior Christians have gone out of their way several different times in a very determined effort to exterminate them. 

For that matter, the clashes between the various sects of Islam are rooted more in ethnic/tribal/territorial rivalries with religion used as fancy window dressing for a much less noble cause - something any Christian familiar with their faith's real history should easily recognize.  (So, like, at least a couple dozen people.)  What's more, a lot of those rivalries were purposefully instigated by Christian countries when dividing up the region.

Add to that the state of Israel (get real, that is a country based on Judaism regardless of what wikipedia calls their form of government) who formed a nation using terrorism to gain control of the most contentious bit of real estate on Earth, and that's basically 90% of the conflict in the region right there.  Add to that our own adventures over oil supplies and there's the other 10%.  We've spent the last several decades variously militarizing and destabilizing the region, often both at once, and we want to blame the violence on religious differences?

:41:

Archived