Pete Rose interview on the 6 PM Sportscenter

Go Skins

Pete Rose believes he has an ally in Bud Selig

Pete Rose's mind is spinning, his imagination unchecked, just hours before stepping onto the field Monday night as manager for the first time in 25 years.

Sure, this is nothing more than a publicity stunt, serving as the unofficial manager of the Bridgeport (Conn.) Bluefish of the Independent Atlantic League. Rose will actually be standing in the third-base coach's box, so the fans can see him, instead of actually managing the team on the bench.

"You think I want to be standing in the third-base box with some 240-pound guy swinging at the plate?'' Rose tells USA TODAY Sports. "I don't want this guy hitting a rocket and killing me out there. Where I really want to be is on the bench.

"That's where I belong. Really, where I belong is back in baseball. I still believe it can happen.''

Yes, he's talking within seven months, before Commissioner Bud Selig leaves office Jan. 24, 2015.

"To be honest with you,'' Rose says, "I really haven't given up on Bud giving me a second chance."

Rose, who received a lifetime ban from baseball in 1989 for gambling while managing the Cincinnati Reds, says his hope of being reinstated is buoyed by Selig's approval for him to manage Bridgeport on Monday.

"I didn't want to upset them,'' Rose, 73, says, "so I got baseball's blessing. They approved everything.

"I've been a good boy.''

In truth, Major League Baseball told Bridgeport officials they have no jurisdiction since it's an independent league club. The Bluefish can let Rose hit, play second base, or serve as a human piñata if so inclined.

Rose may be delusional but believes a decision might be coming his way soon.

Selig, on his way out the door, could act like an outgoing president and issue an official pardon to Rose, finally ending his lifetime ban.

"Buddies tell me that I've got a good chance to be on the ballot when Bud leaves office,'' Rose says. "But hey, what if the next commissioner is Bud's best friend? What if my best chance is for Bud to reinstate me himself?

"I really believe there's a chance.''

Uh, really?

"Hey, when I met with Bud,'' Rose said, "I would have bet everything I own that he was going to reinstate me when I left his office.''

The year was 2003.

Rose is still waiting.

"The guy who shot the Pope,'' Rose says, "he got a second chance. That's all I'm asking for, a second chance. I'll make the most of it.

"I'm not whining. I was the one who screwed up. I made some mistakes. But come on, it's been a quarter of a century.''

Maybe if Rose hadn't waited for 15 years until admitting he gambled on baseball, the ban would have already been lifted.

"When (former commissioner) Bart Giamatti told me to reconfigure my life,'' he says, "I thought he meant no illegal gambling, be selective with people I hang out with. What he meant was take responsibility. Man up. It took me a long time to man up.''

Maybe if Rose wasn't living in Las Vegas, earning money from his autograph in a memorabilia store on the Vegas strip, and in Cooperstown, N.Y., during the Hall of Fame induction weekend, all would be forgiven. He even signs autographed baseballs that read: "I'm sorry I bet on baseball.''

"People want to see me,'' Rose says. "They want to talk to me. I'm still popular. I sign stuff 20 days a week, and 4 ½ hours a day, and I all I do is talk positive about the game to the fans.

"I'm good for baseball.''

Maybe if his latest venture didn't raise eyebrows. Today, Rose begins marketing an application for Sportsbeep, a social media fantasy gaming company involved in the four major sports along with college basketball.

That won't earn much sympathy from Selig, either.

"This is a fantasy game, that's it,'' Rose said. "There are 50 million people in this country that play fantasy sports. If you're good at it, you can make some money. It's not like some kind of illegal gambling.''

No matter the reason, Rose remains on the outside.

"The only thing I'd say about it is,'' Selig said recently, "is that it's a matter under review.''

Twenty-five years since the ban, and absolutely nothing has changed.

Maybe it never will.

Yet, even if we want to believe there's not a single member of the Hall of Fame who used steroids or performance-enhancing drugs, that day surely is coming.

All Rose is asking is to be treated like anyone who used PEDs.

It doesn't mean that Rose goes into the Hall of Fame.

It simply means he's placed on the ballot, just like anyone who has been linked to performance-enhancing drugs.

Rafael Palmeiro's time has come and gone on the ballot. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens are in no-man's land. Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa are clinging. Suspicions have damaged Mike Piazza and Jeff Bagwell.

"No one connected to steroids has been voted to the Hall of Fame,'' Rose says, "but there are a lot of guys who did steroids who are on the ballot. That's all I'm asking for too.

"To me, it's hard to have a Hall of Fame without Bonds or Clemens in it. If people want to argue whether I deserve it, that's fine, but let's give them a chance to argue.''

Rose, of course, will point out that his gambling all occurred while managing, and he would be entering the Hall as a player.

Now, just as we don't have baseball's all-time home run king in the Hall, we don't have the all-time hits leader, either.

But while Bonds' home-run record may be eclipsed, Rose believes his may stand forever.

"If anybody was ever going to beat my record, I was hoping it would be a guy like (Derek])Jeter," says Rose of the Yankee with 3,380 hits in his final season. "He reminds me of me. He plays hard. He helps his teammates. He's a winner. He entertains people.''

Get the rest at Cincinnati.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived