Andy Dalton's Struggles, Explained

I definitely think there is some improvement to be made from Andy on his progression of his reads. I've heard NFL analyst comment on it and I've seen it myself when I've attended games. It seems like Dalton makes up his mind pre-snap where he wants to go with the ball and will either force it to the pre-snap read or scramble and try to make things happen. Judging from the stats provided by PFF it seems that when his pre-snap 1st or 2nd option isn't open that is when he gets into trouble. 

I've seen Dalton force throws to AJ when he was double or triple covered and there were other players available that had much better matchups. Hopefully the combination of Hue running the ball more and Dalton maturation as a player will allow him to handle blitzes and working through his progressions better than he has shown in the past. 

I would venture to say most QBs struggle when their first two options aren't open.  I think the key is his pre-snap read.  Just because AJ is supposed to be the primary when the huddle is broken, doesn't mean that primary target shouldn't change based on the alignment of the defense.  I don't know if Andy does or doesn't change them, but I agree with others, it seems like too many times his mind is made up and he's going to get the ball to that target come hell or high water.

At the risk of repeating anyone or suggesting that football is, in fact, a team sport..  Could this also point to the OL not doing a great job recognizing & picking up the blitz?

It would have been interesting (to me at least) to see if & how his numbers varied depending on whether the blitz was from one of the edges or up the middle.  Escaping the pocket to his left or right?  Obviously trying to roll out against pressure up the middle is a completely different situation.

I think this is the problem I (& others) have with PFF; it's like they form a theory and then set about trying to prove it. This article doesn't explain anything to me, it just raises more questions.

Maybe that's part of the reason why Cook was released, on top of being oft injured and not very stout vs. massive NT's. 

Maybe that's part of the reason why Cook was released, on top of being oft injured and not very stout vs. massive NT's. 

Great point.  Most QBs are well versed in stepping up in the pocket and have a little time to either throw the ball away or make the play on edge rushers.

When the pressure comes straight up the middle, only guys like Kaepernick and Wilson have a viable second option in most cases.   Its the reason Geno Atkins is getting paid huge money as an interior d lineman.  A QB rarely has anywhere to go if the pressure in coming up the middle.

I actually think this new method of posting every single article on the board is hurting the volume of conversation. Threads drop too quickly and it makes it hard to decide which thread to post a comment in if the articles are similar. What Khat did posting the article in here makes much more sense to me. Just my 2 cents.

Agree, I didn't want to make a big deal of it but posting every article separately has created a lot of 'noise'.  Maybe others disagree but I see it that way.  Not that it's a huge issue or anything, just a minor inconvenience.  

Agree, I didn't want to make a big deal of it but posting every article separately has created a lot of 'noise'.  Maybe others disagree but I see it that way.  Not that it's a huge issue or anything, just a minor inconvenience.  

yea again, when camp hits, the content is going to be fast and furious. Every article with its own thread just isn't efficient. 

We aren't intentionally posting everything separately, but we are still trying to work through things.. Part of it is that it's not just 1 person posting articles now, and it gets hard to know what articles have or have not already been posted if they are buried inside of other threads.  Another positive aspect of having separate threads for articles is that it allows people to pick and choose more easily what they want to read.

Right now we are working through standards so that when articles get posted it follows some sort of guidelines for how they are posted.  One of the changes so far has been the article tag preceding thread titles.

How we do this can go several ways,, Do we put all Andy Dalton articles in the same thread?  I think that has the problem in that you have potentially a wide range of information that is not easy to parse through or discuss with any kind of focus.  Personally I like the idea of putting articles that have similar content (for example stories derived from the same press conference from multiple news outlets) in the same thread but not putting, for example every article about running backs, in the same thread...

We are welcome to suggestions if you have ideas about how we should do it.

Within reason, more threads are better.  There's no reason some omnibus comment thread couldn't copy or refer to the other threads for extended discussion.  So for instance, recently there were a couple threads on the PFT QB rating by situation.  A overall "what does AD do well and poorly and why" analysis thread could clip those, refer to those, or summarize those and ramble along as long as someone is interested.

I have no problem adding subsequent articles concerning a particular player or coach to an active i.e. hot thread.

Maybe combine some of the individual player articles during camp in a single training camp thread.  We could do it by week so we don't have 50 pages come our first pre season game.

Obviously, significant things aka an injury to a key player, new FA  or Ben Rothleisburger almost dying would get its own thread.

In reality, most of the multiple articles will center around Andy which is typical for any QB and to a lesser extent Marvin and a few others.

Within reason, more threads are better.  There's no reason some omnibus comment thread couldn't copy or refer to the other threads for extended discussion.  So for instance, recently there were a couple threads on the PFT QB rating by situation.  A overall "what does AD do well and poorly and why" analysis thread could clip those, refer to those, or summarize those and ramble along as long as someone is interested.

This is kind of where I am at.  I could see someone not wanting to wade through a bunch of discussion of a relatively unrelated article when all they want to do is get their daily Bengals news.  There is a significant member base that rarely gets involved in discussions and come here as a 1 stop shop for Bengals content. 

One of the nice aspects of the Article tag is that when you are reading an article thread, there is a list of other "Articles" at the bottom of the thread for easy navigation.

I think a lot of the "noise" that will occur when things get busier will be articles that are all written about basically the same topic (IE a press conference) but from different sources.  I can definitely see putting these in the same thread.  Same thing with the various articles about TC... You will basically have 10 articles all written from a different perspective on the same event.  These kinds of things should go into the same thread..

Right now things are pretty slow so I don't see the "clutter" that some are pointing to, although I can envision it being a problem if in the future every article has it's own thread.

It's 10 to 1 half dozen the other, either you have a bunch of threads with various articles that people can then comment on and those threads usually end up smallish or you get larger threads with various articles like we were doing before. I know that there was the complaint that people have to go digging through threads of people's conversations to find new news and you had Tigris posting "." to get to the last place he read all the time to find new news. This way there is less of that to an extent. There are pluses and minuses to each way of doing it.

This is kind of where I am at.  I could see someone not wanting to wade through a bunch of discussion of a relatively unrelated article when all they want to do is get their daily Bengals news.  There is a significant member base that rarely gets involved in discussions and come here as a 1 stop shop for Bengals content. 

One of the nice aspects of the Article tag is that when you are reading an article thread, there is a list of other "Articles" at the bottom of the thread for easy navigation.

I think a lot of the "noise" that will occur when things get busier will be articles that are all written about basically the same topic (IE a press conference) but from different sources.  I can definitely see putting these in the same thread.  Same thing with the various articles about TC... You will basically have 10 articles all written from a different perspective on the same event.  These kinds of things should go into the same thread..

Right now things are pretty slow so I don't see the "clutter" that some are pointing to, although I can envision it being a problem if in the future every article has it's own thread.

I'm curious as to how this feature works, if we do multiple tags would it filter these articles at the bottom by similar tags? Meaning if I tag #Article #AndyDalton (#Sucks :ninja:) would if feature Andy Dalton Articles at the bottom?

i for one like it the way it is now. Sure some threads could be combined, or articles about similiar topics can be posted in the same thread, but now i don't have to look through 25 pages of cuntmuppetry before i can read an article or get an update.

especially when i read this on site on mobile and i'm automaticly taken to the last unread post instead of the end of the thread.

I'm curious as to how this feature works, if we do multiple tags would it filter these articles at the bottom by similar tags? Meaning if I tag #Article #AndyDalton (#Sucks :ninja:) would if feature Andy Dalton Articles at the bottom?

I think so... It's something worth experimenting with.

i for one like it the way it is now. Sure some threads could be combined, or articles about similiar topics can be posted in the same thread, but now i don't have to look through 25 pages of cuntmuppetry before i can read an article or get an update.

especially when i read this on site on mobile and i'm automaticly taken to the last unread post instead of the end of the thread.

For what it's worth, the main objective of this mod crew is to eliminate the cuntmuppetry as much as possible while still leaving people feeling free to express themselves.. I think so far so good.

We aren't intentionally posting everything separately, but we are still trying to work through things.. Part of it is that it's not just 1 person posting articles now, and it gets hard to know what articles have or have not already been posted if they are buried inside of other threads.  Another positive aspect of having separate threads for articles is that it allows people to pick and choose more easily what they want to read.

Right now we are working through standards so that when articles get posted it follows some sort of guidelines for how they are posted.  One of the changes so far has been the article tag preceding thread titles.

How we do this can go several ways,, Do we put all Andy Dalton articles in the same thread?  I think that has the problem in that you have potentially a wide range of information that is not easy to parse through or discuss with any kind of focus.  Personally I like the idea of putting articles that have similar content (for example stories derived from the same press conference from multiple news outlets) in the same thread but not putting, for example every article about running backs, in the same thread...

We are welcome to suggestions if you have ideas about how we should do it.

Please don't think I was complaining, just giving my input as how I see it.  

I agree with what you say in the above post....if the articles have similar themes, sure go ahead and put them in an existing thread otherwise make a new thread. 

It's 10 to1 half dozen the other, either you have a bunch of threads with various articles that people can then comment on and those threads usually end up smallish or you get larger threads with various articles like we were doing before. I know that there was the complaint that people have to go digging through threads of people's conversations to find new news and you had Tigris posting "." to get to the last place he read all the time to find new news. This way there is less of that to an extent. There are pluses and minuses to each way of doing it.

I think you mean "6 of"?

Please don't think I was complaining, just giving my input as how I see it.  

I agree with what you say in the above post....if the articles have similar themes, sure go ahead and put them in an existing thread otherwise make a new thread. 

I didn't take it as a complaint.  I took it as constructive input, and since you took the time to do it, I figured I would go ahead and let you know where we were at in the process.  We have been discussing this very thing among others in the mod forum so now is the time to get this all sorted.

Archived