Supreme Court rules against Obama in contraception case

Go Skins

They are a privately owned corporation.  It's the fact that they are a Corporation, that makes this so mind numbing. They get to take advantage of all the protections that Corporations are allowed under US law, but don't have to comply with the other facets that other corporations will have to. 

Courts just upheld the law signed by Clinton.    You are simply pointing out one of the initial complaints about the Affordable Health Act.    They simply slammed it through with very little foresight of how it would play out or actually be implemented and who or what it might effect.   

According to you Hobby Lobby now has an advantage under US Affordable Care Law over Corporations.   How significant is that?  Does it effect how businesses organize or more importantly WHERE they incorporate?    The Affordable Health LAW is causing the mind numbing effect not Hobby Lobby or the Law signed by Clinton which is among the very first complaint about the new law itself.

For example:

Hobby Lobby organized the way it is has choosen not to have the advantages of gaining capital like corporations.  If your noted advantage is truly that significant then we could see companies electing to organize differently or worse in different parts of the world.   

So if you feel that Hobby Lobby has been granted a mind numbing advantage over corporations your only recourse (IMO) is to oppose the true reason; which is making Corporations provide specific coverages under the Affordable Health Care Law or repeal the law signed by Clinton.

If you work at a bank as a Mortgage Broker.    The leadership of that Bank is known to have a high risk approach to policies toward lending etc.

As a result they must take a hit damaging earnings.   As a result they restructure.    Do you apply the same reasoning above for the now laid off Mortgage Broker or do you feel they should have been more choosing in their employment despite the economy?   

Mortgage Brokers are having difficulty getting jobs? If so, yes, I side with the employees in every case.

Courts just upheld the law signed by Clinton.    You are simply pointing out one of the initial complaints about the Affordable Health Act.    They simply slammed it through with very little foresight of how it would play out or actually be implemented and who or what it might effect.   

According to you Hobby Lobby now has an advantage under US Affordable Care Law over Corporations.   How significant is that?  Does it effect how businesses organize or more importantly WHERE they incorporate?    The Affordable Health LAW is causing the mind numbing effect not Hobby Lobby or the Law signed by Clinton which is among the very first complaint about the new law itself.

For example:

Hobby Lobby organized the way it is has choosen not to have the advantages of gaining capital like corporations.  If your noted advantage is truly that significant then we could see companies electing to organize differently or worse in different parts of the world.   

So if you feel that Hobby Lobby has been granted a mind numbing advantage over corporations your only recourse (IMO) is to oppose the true reason; which is making Corporations provide specific coverages under the Affordable Health Care Law or repeal the law signed by Clinton.

Bullshit, Scharm.  They didn't just uphold a law signed by Clinton, they used that as a basis to act like a  privately owned corporation should have the same rights that an individual person does.  They should not have those same rights.  And, YES, by the result of 5 ACTIVIST JUDGES, they were given rights as a corporation that ONLY Privately held Corporations can use.  The Affordable Care Act is not causing the mind numbness, it is the complete idiocy of the right wing as we proceed on this path to a Theological Oligarchy. 

Someone needs to bring a lawsuit against banks alleging paying off debt is against my religious beliefs.

"At the end of every seven years you shall grant a remission of debts. 2"This is the manner of remission: every creditor shall release what he has loaned to his neighbor; he shall not exact it of his neighbor and his brother, because the LORD'S remission has been proclaimed."

Deuteronomy 15:1

That seals it no more mortgage payments!

I hope someone can elaborate on this for me. Here is my point of view (and I dont have a strong opinion per se on either side).

I am non-religious. I honestly dont care what anyone believes in, and I know it is offensive or baffling to people who believe in religion to say this but- I think religion is silly and exceptionally outdated. Except maybe Buddhism, but thats not really religion. I like most religions for the guidance they provide and hope they provide for people- even if I dont agree with the "facts" that religions believe that were written by men in a very. very superstitious time period. I also wish religion as a structure (not guideline of doing good upon people) would be removed from government completely.

I am also 100% pro-choice and pro Planned Parenthood etc. I dont think the government should have any say so in anyones health decisions. I think millions of babies are born into this country that have no business being born by people who have no financial or parental background to properly raise the child to give it the best chance to be a productive citizen- and the ones that realize that should have the opportunity to change that course.

Having said that, if a company is owned by people who believe that abortion is murder, and dont want to be forced to be complicit in what they view as murder, why should they be forced to provide "murder" services? It would be like having a Muslim owned company be forced to serve pork once a week to all of their employees. It doesn't make sense that the government should be able to force someone who created a business from the ground up to be what they want it to be, with their values in mind, to do something they are strongly against. The HL employees still have a generous medical package- they just wouldnt have an option for abortion or morning after pill for that. But its not like they are shit out of luck. They can still get it from their doctor or planned parenthood etc. HL isnt telling their employees you cannot abort- they are saying they dont want to play a part in financing "murder".

To me, it seems simple enough. If you dont like your medical coverage at your $7 per hour job, you are able to go get another job. Or, you know, how about having some personal responsibility and using protection in the first place? Its not that hard to not get pregnant. Hobby Lobbys are a suburban chain, with mainly suburban or non/urban employees that have access to drugstores and condoms. Use them.

I just dont think the company should be forced to violate its beliefs, even though I dont agree with those beliefs, by the government.

Great post Dish... I am one that thinks having an abortion (short of threatening the mothers life or rape/incest) is murder... Murder is the probably the wrong word but I honestly don't know the right one. My wife is pregnant with our 3rd child currently. We had a scare and thought we might have lost it. We are only about 8 weeks right now but we had the ultrasound yesterday and I can't tell you how unbelievable it felt to see the little heartbeat yesterday on the monitor.  That is a living being inside her belly right now.

It sounds like Dish and I are on the opposite sides of things politically, but I like to see people putting their selves in other peoples shoes and trying to make sense of things.

Great post Dish... I am one that thinks having an abortion (short of threatening the mothers life or rape/incest) is murder... Murder is the probably the wrong word but I honestly don't know the right one. My wife is pregnant with our 3rd child currently. We had a scare and thought we might have lost it. We are only about 8 weeks right now but we had the ultrasound yesterday and I can't tell you how unbelievable it felt to see the little heartbeat yesterday on the monitor.  That is a living being inside her belly right now.

It sounds like Dish and I are on the opposite sides of things politically, but I like to see people putting their selves in other peoples shoes and trying to make sense of things.

I guess my problem is that I don't mind that you think it's murder, but you shouldn't have the right to make everyone else act like it's murder if they view it differently.  That to me, is the difference between liberals and conservatives.  Liberals seem to believe in live and let live and conservatives seem to believe that their view should be what everyone else lives by.

Wait until the first Muslim-owned company tries to dictate something to their employees based on faith and we'll see how everyone that's on board with a theocracy right now really feels about "protecting religious freedom".

"Wait, we meant protect OUR religion!"

Oh, you want to vaccinate your kids against polio?  Sorry, the company owners are 7th Day Adventists & now your boss gets to make your health decisions for you.

Wait until the first Muslim-owned company tries to dictate something to their employees based on faith and we'll see how everyone that's on board with a theocracy right now really feels about "protecting religious freedom".

"Wait, we meant protect OUR religion!"

Oh, you want to vaccinate your kids against polio?  Sorry, the company owners are 7th Day Adventists & now your boss gets to make your health decisions for you.

I was going to bring this up.  My mom's folks were Church of the Firstborn when she was growing up (some of my family out west is Seventh-day, although my Grandmother converted to Judaism - if that doesn't give you a clue about how wacky she is).. They don't believe in medicine of any kind and rely strictly on prayer. My uncle almost died of blood poisoning because the minister told my grandmother that she would be kicked out of the church if she took him to a doctor, since that would be "going against the will of God".

So how does a corporation declare it's religious beliefs exactly?  A vote by the Board of Directors?  Must you baptize them all, or will the Article of Incorporation suffice? Be sure it's laminated first, it might get a bit soggy!

What's to stop any major Corporation from declaring it doesn't believe in obeying "insert federal law here" and shouldn't be persecuted by having to do so?

Our current SCOTUS has consistently sided with corporations over individuals while working to deregulate campaign contributions. They're as much a tool of the plutocracy as the other 2 branches.

I mean when the wife of Thomas actively raises money for tea party groups....

• 1 year later...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2571725/?utm_content=bufferee76a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

A National Labor Relations Board administrative law judge ruled that agreements signed by employees of Oklahoma-based arts and crafts company Hobby Lobby requiring them to submit to arbitration rather than go to court in work disputes are unenforceable.

The ruling by the government's labor enforcement agency, announced Wednesday, could potentially undermine a common practice used by employers to avoid litigation under federal labor laws.

"This is a dramatic decision," said David Rosenfeld, attorney for the Committee to Preserve the Religious Right to Organize, the group that brought the charges against Hobby Lobby. "If the board affirms it and the courts affirm it, it basically undermines this whole tendency of employers to implement these arbitration agreements [with their employees]."

Archived