Semi OT: Ben Utecht memory loss

I remember him having some issues on Hard Knocks while with the Bengals and his subsequent retirement but now it sounds like his concussions are taking their toll. Pretty sad.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201406/ex-nfl-tight-end-suffering-memory-loss-writes-heartwarming-song-family

It is sad but all these players know what they are getting them selves into when going to the NFL. 

I remember Kelso.   I also remember something about his "cap" not being promoted because the league didn't like the look it gave to NFL players.  Not sure if that's legit or not.

I think the overall point is if you could measure the money and innovation put into making players faster/stronger (including illegal methods) vs. the amount put into the safety equipment and awareness it would be an embarassing difference.

I also believe some of the current day rules inadvertantly encourage more passing and thus today's offenses do things that expose WRs etc.  to more injury.    Today it's standard to have WRs attack a zone coverage with crossing patterns etc.   Back in the 80s that was considered wanting death and most WRs were coached to cut off the pattern and sit in a zone because if they continued the pattern it ultimately would end with them getting whacked.

1. Get real drug testing programs with deeper punishments for violators.

2. Deeper punishments for blatant head hunting (like suspensions)

3. Invest in safety

4. Hold offensive and head coaches accountable for risky schemes

Then you might be able to restore some of the balance of fairness in the game between Offense and Defense.  Right now the cards are stacked against the defense.

Archived