What to do at WR in coming years?!?!

We have a pretty nasty group of WR's in all honesty.

AJ Green - Top 5 WR talent, young, healthy, athletic, not a trouble maker, this is a franchise WR in all regards.

Sanu - Solid, athletic, good hands, reliable #2 minus minor injuries. Good team player, no drama.

Marvin Jones - Love this guy, fast, GREAT concentration, great player, maybe the best #3 in the league. this guy made came changing catches for us last year, TOUGH game changing catches..

So if Sanu has 6-8 TD's next year, marvin has another 7-10 TD year.. i think someone is going to get antsy and want a payday and a shot at a better spot, NOT sitting behind AJ green. Mostly i think Marvin Jones is going to want a bigger role and a decent contract.

what do you do, IF they play as they have..

do you let Sanu walk or trade for probably a medium-low draft pick, and give Marvin the #2 job, draft a replacement #3 or use someone on roster?

do you Keep Sanu, and Try to trade jones for something good?

do you try to keep all 3 by optioning AJ, and franchise him, etc? at some point we will have to part with someone, or we will be spending $25-30 mil on 3 WR's.

not to mention what we may be spending at TE.. and potentially at QB if they decide to keep whats his name...

you cant really have $40 mil tied up in 4 players on offense and what we already have tied up in the defense and put much else on the field..

thoughts on the WR scenario?

who would you keep, Sanu or Jones? or do ANYTHING you can to keep all 3?

I love that group together, you have everything, special, size, hands, etc..

I think Marvin is gonna want too much if he keeps improving, so I can see Hamilton getting a promotion to replace him... Sanu would not be too expensive to extend/resign. I can see a TE being a position of need next year in order to replace Gresh.

AJ was a slam dunk.   Projected Franchise player.   Has been Franchise since the day they drafted him. 

Next 4 years of AJ's career you want to be a Bengal.   No doubt.

Which makes it tough a situation to extend because you already have realistic ways to ensure 2 years out of the 4.     However to get the last 2 you'll have to commit to more years and is AJ's franchise status going to last that long?   That's the biggest question.

Marvin Jones is probably going to play his way out of Cincinnati after his rookie deal and restricted FA period.   

Sanu you try to extend because the potential is there but the production isn't so you might be able to get a deal on him.   Marvin Jones I don't see that happening.  

AJ was a slam dunk.   Projected Franchise player.   Has been Franchise since the day they drafted him. 

Next 4 years of AJ's career you want to be a Bengal.   No doubt.

Which makes it tough a situation to extend because you already have realistic ways to ensure 2 years out of the 4.     However to get the last 2 you'll have to commit to more years and is AJ's franchise status going to last that long?   That's the biggest question.

Marvin Jones is probably going to play his way out of Cincinnati after his rookie deal and restricted FA period.   

Sanu you try to extend because the potential is there but the production isn't so you might be able to get a deal on him.   Marvin Jones I don't see that happening.  

that above i agree with, so that being said, if you can Discount sign Sanu, does that make all 3 affordable? front load Jones deal, option AJ, keep your total spending on all 3 at $12-15mil? if you can get Sanu around 2-2.5, Jones 4-5/yr but front load so its a 2-3 hit, and green extended, for $7? you are in that $12/mil a year range keeping all 3..

the trick IS getting one for the cheap... which would almost have to be Sanu at this point.. 

Sanu disappointed last year. i don't think he's a number 2 anyways.

I wondered if that was him as much as the play calling, opportunities dictated by the defenses, etc.

I think he still has a lot of upside.

Marvin Jones is the guy was was a very pleasant surprise to me.

I did not expect him to turn out as good as he did.

But... dang... how do you defense AJ, Sanu and Jones with Gresham and Eifert in the mix?

Hue's commitment to an upgraded running game is going to make them all the more dangerous.

that above i agree with, so that being said, if you can Discount sign Sanu, does that make all 3 affordable? front load Jones deal, option AJ, keep your total spending on all 3 at $12-15mil? if you can get Sanu around 2-2.5, Jones 4-5/yr but front load so its a 2-3 hit, and green extended, for $7? you are in that $12/mil a year range keeping all 3..

the trick IS getting one for the cheap... which would almost have to be Sanu at this point.. 

Taking Jones cap hit in a year when you had excess cap would be huge to retaining all 3 if you got Sanu reasonable.

All the more evidence that Superbowl runs are typically 2 year windows.  We are possibly looking at the best this team will be for the foreseeable future THIS YEAR.  At some point you have to start replacing proven and very effective players due to cost with unproven "potential" or take a step back with a safe but average vet.

Losing MJ was the first crack and not being able to keep a damn good and versatile player like Collins was another.  

Next year, if Jones keeps playing well, I foresee both he and Gresham gone which nobody can pretend is a good thing but is how the NFL operates.

We also have other very important players who are up against the clock:

Whit who is almost irreplaceable due to play and leadership.

Newman who has been a rock at corner.  Even if Dennard steps in, Newman is a huge asset to have as a backup.

Pacman and Hall who are getting up there in years and with Hall, is fighting the injury bug more often.

Also, don't forget Reggie Nelson who has played well is also over 30.

That is a pretty solid core of very good and key players that we need to take advantage of NOW. 

Regarding Sanu, I just don't see the guy being that hard to re-sign unless Schiano latches onto him or something wherever that whack-job is.  He just hasn't done much yet in a Bengals jersey.  Obviously a lot can change, but he is going to lose a lot of time outside the hashes to Marvin Jones this year.  Slot guys aren't a real hot commodity in the NFL.  The Packers are trying to re-sign Jordy Nelson before the younger/more explosive Randall Cobb right now.  Victor Cruz's contract was nothing near what the top dogs get paid.  

Jones is a tricky one. I'm not sure he is going to see 10 TD's again this year.  He may see his yardage increase though.  He was really inconsistent when you look at his game long.  Quite a few stinkers in there.  Only cracked 70 yards 4 times in the 17 games played.  I could see him having a really nice year though which would increase his value. 

It would be nice to see Cobi step it up or maybe an early round pick next year if we are in fear of losing Marvin.

Remember 1 thing that will play into all this....Nobody thought the 2014 salary cap was going to be much higher than last year but escalated to $133 million.  NFL salary cap gurus are predicting a 2015 cap of $140-145 million and $150-160 million in 2016.

It's going to be interesting to see how they divide the bigger pie then.

Remember 1 thing that will play into all this....Nobody thought the 2014 salary cap was going to be much higher than last year but escalated to $133 million.  NFL salary cap gurus are predicting a 2015 cap of $140-145 million and $150-160 million in 2016.

It's going to be interesting to see how they divide the bigger pie then.

I agree.    However,  NFL teams have gone through a correction of sorts dealing with contracts made under that rush CBA extension that Mike Brown/Bills Owner voted against.

No doubt agents are pushing "cap is going to grow" mantra.    Brown family is probably throwing as much cold water on that as possible trying not to lock in contracts that will be actual costs but based on projected cap space and revenues.

They are gonna have to do something to counter the ridiculous numbers the QBs are asking and getting

No doubt.   The Dalton topics on this board bring that issue out in more entertaining forms of discussion.

Weeded in those discussions are a couple themes:

Kap's new contract is basically pay as he pays with out years but stated amounts that get him the current level dollars.   Another theme is the Bengals with Dalton actually restablishing the "2nd tier" QB pay scale.

With Flacco and Ben at the points they are, IF the Bengals could do either one of those themes with Dalton they would be at a significant advantage cap wise.  

Archived