Any wordpress website experts on here?

How the fuck do I get my logo to be bigger, and the navigation links all in one line? Any help you can provide is much appreciated, because I'm on the brink of crashing my car into a telephone pole (out of frustration)

http://66.147.242.182/~southwx4/ is the site. I'm thinking 300x150 would be alright. Would also be OK with the logo being above the navigation links.

Keep in mind, last time I did web design was when Geocities was a thing, so I'm a bit clueless about CSS and what nots...

Thanks!

I know a fair bit about WP and theme frameworks and it looks like your navigation is wrapping automatically. I'm not familiar with this particular company or it's underlying framework for WP, so, YMMV depending on the specifics of the framework, how flexible it is, and whether or not you are modding the framework itself or a child theme. Anyhow...

Because so much of this is plug and play, simple modifications of html or css often won't give you the desired effect unless you know just where those mods need to be made. This is a guess, but I suspect that simply adjusting the css in your case will not do the trick because you would have to reduce the size of the font and that might make the navigation too difficult to read.

Here are a few suggestions to consider.

1 ) Look to see if your theme offers more than one navigation option. Many themes have more than one, sometimes listed as "primary and secondary" or "top and bottom" or something like that. If there are two dedicated navigation options, then...

2 ) Consider breaking your menu into two chunks. If there are two options then they'll have dedicated places within the theme layout. Generally it'll be one area in the header (which is where your nav is now) and one just underneath the header area but before the content area. Or, in other words, just under the logo.

3 ) If there is only one navigation option offered by the theme, the limited amount of space provided in the header suggests that you either have fewer menu options or that you rename them with shorter descriptions. If this isn't possible, you may want to consider splitting your menu into two chunks again and putting one chunk in a custom menu on the sidebar via a widget.

Having looked at the theme demo at the SketchThemes site, it is hard to say what might work for you. It does appear that you may be able to configure things differently to get the effect you want. It also looks like there may be some home page options which you may not be using.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the advice. The wordpress theme only has one menu option. Back to theme shopping I go!

Consider StudioPress, they have a pretty rock-solid framework with Genesis. And a lot of child themes that would probably meet your needs. Also, I have a developer license with them so although I no longer take on clients, I do have access to all the native themes they offer (but not the 3rd party themes.) I'd be happy to take a look under the hood for you before you make any purchasing decisions with them. Let me know if I can be of help.

Consider StudioPress, they have a pretty rock-solid framework with Genesis. And a lot of child themes that would probably meet your needs. Also, I have a developer license with them so although I no longer take on clients, I do have access to all the native themes they offer (but not the 3rd party themes.) I'd be happy to take a look under the hood for you before you make any purchasing decisions with them. Let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks man, I truly appreciate that. I have my site up and running now, not 100% happy with it yet, more like 90%, but it will work for now! Now my biggest challenge is the SEO portion.

Once my business takes off, then I'll be ready to pour some money into the website :)

www.southwestohiohomeinspections.com is the address...

random input:

for the pricing...i would do 3-4 price ranges, instead of 8.. 

0-2,000 = $249

2,001-3999 = $399

4,000+ = $499 or $549

far less calculating for everyone involved, and likely to make more more as most houses probably fall in the bottom 2.. 

just my 2 cents... from a consumer standpoint...

also, as a consumer, i would have left your site after all of the nickel and diming fees for the garages, crawl space, attic, etc... adjust prices to include them base on what % of houses you feel will have those things..  the termite one i can understand... the rest seemed like "fine print" to me... and i would have moved onto the next companies site.. 

just my 2 cents (again)

I see you switched themes to Site Origin's Vantage.

I wouldn't worry too much about SEO at this time. You're a local business and all the same rules for building a biz apply--the internet is a supplemental tool for you. Do your groundwork, establish good relations with others in your field, take care of your customers and create a word-of-mouth reputation. If you do those things well then folks will link to your site, write nice things about you on the web, etc... and those have true non-gimmicky SEO value. Make sure people know about your site (your addy should be on all literature/biz cards, etc...) but if you do good work, then you'll grow as a biz. I'm sure I'm only repeating stuff you already know. Good luck with your venture!

I see you switched themes to Site Origin's Vantage.

I wouldn't worry too much about SEO at this time. You're a local business and all the same rules for building a biz apply--the internet is a supplemental tool for you. Do your groundwork, establish good relations with others in your field, take care of your customers and create a word-of-mouth reputation. If you do those things well then folks will link to your site, write nice things about you on the web, etc... and those have true non-gimmicky SEO value. Make sure people know about your site (your addy should be on all literature/biz cards, etc...) but if you do good work, then you'll grow as a biz. I'm sure I'm only repeating stuff you already know. Good luck with your venture!

I hear ya. A lot of business is driven by relationships with realtors, who refer you to their clients. The problem is, during a realtors slow time, they don't send you any business. A very good friend of mine who introduced me to the business and personally trained me has a website that shows up #1 on google, and because of that he gets enough internet business to sustain him during periods when his realtors are slow. I think it's a good bet that he could gross $7k a month just because of his google ranking. And doing business for internet clients gives you an opportunity to meet their realtor, which also generates more business.

I am doing an email blast as soon as I get a chance to put it together (impossible to do anything while I take care of my 3 year old and 7 month old when the wife is at work) that is going to almost 200 active realtors with a coupon code for their clients, I'm hoping that will help get things rolling a little faster.

random input:

for the pricing...i would do 3-4 price ranges, instead of 8.. 

0-2,000 = $249

2,001-3999 = $399

4,000+ = $499 or $549

far less calculating for everyone involved, and likely to make more more as most houses probably fall in the bottom 2.. 

just my 2 cents... from a consumer standpoint...

I do agree with this, I'll update it soon. When I was putting it all together, I had just started using the scheduling tool (which is mindblowingly comprehensive) and obviously went a little nuts with it, LOL.

also home advisors i think it is, they do a background check on you and interview and build a mini site for their site and so on... i THINK they want a fee or a cut of the action though... i hired a guy who used to work there.. said they did a ton of business...

good luck!

also home advisors i think it is, they do a background check on you and interview and build a mini site for their site and so on... i THINK they want a fee or a cut of the action though... i hired a guy who used to work there.. said they did a ton of business...

good luck!

Lots of horror stories out there about homeadvisor.com. I am on yelp, angie's list, and pretty much any other site I come across that allows me to sign up and get a link to my site (for free at least, I'm up to my forehead in debt since I got laid off a year ago and quit looking for a job when I realized nobody wants to hire a college educated 30 year old with lots of experience and no criminal record and what was, at the time, good credit, (I'm slightly bitter) and started my business, going to be a while before I can start spending some money on marketing)

Thanks to both of your for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

Lots of horror stories out there about homeadvisor.com. I am on yelp, angie's list, and pretty much any other site I come across that allows me to sign up and get a link to my site (for free at least, I'm up to my forehead in debt since I got laid off a year ago and quit looking for a job when I realized nobody wants to hire a college educated 30 year old with lots of experience and no criminal record and what was, at the time, good credit, (I'm slightly bitter) and started my business, going to be a while before I can start spending some money on marketing)

Thanks to both of your for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

That's a pisser.  I'm guessing relocation is out of the question?  :mellow:

That's a pisser.  I'm guessing relocation is out of the question?   :mellow:

Pretty much, hell I don't even know if I'm allowed to sell my house yet. I bought it as a foreclosure, and it was either one year or two years that I had to live in it before selling, and it's been almost 13 months. Plus, moving my 3 year old and 8 month old away from their grandparents and cousins would be pretty brutal. When my business takes off, I'll be making a good living doing something I love, which is something I never imagined would happen in my lifetime, so until it takes off I'll just be treading water :35:

I did have my first inspection scheduled using my online scheduling tool this week, which is pretty awesome. It's like $300 falling out of the sky and hitting me in the head, LOL. Had no clue it was coming. Now, if that can start happening about 10 times per week I'll be ecstatic.

Pretty much, hell I don't even know if I'm allowed to sell my house yet. I bought it as a foreclosure, and it was either one year or two years that I had to live in it before selling, and it's been almost 13 months. Plus, moving my 3 year old and 8 month old away from their grandparents and cousins would be pretty brutal. When my business takes off, I'll be making a good living doing something I love, which is something I never imagined would happen in my lifetime, so until it takes off I'll just be treading water :35:

I did have my first inspection scheduled using my online scheduling tool this week, which is pretty awesome. It's like $300 falling out of the sky and hitting me in the head, LOL. Had no clue it was coming. Now, if that can start happening about 10 times per week I'll be ecstatic.

good luck, yea, $3,000/wk would be pretty amazing indeed. 

hope it picks up.

Archived