Signs say Burfict, Green next in line for payday

I don't think we need another thread arguing the perceived deficiencies of Andy Dalton.  I am not threatening to edit or handing out warnings. just a simple request to keep this from spiraling down the rabbit hole,

Thanks for your cooperation.

Then quote the dude that focused on the Dalton part of my resopnse.   I think Green is more important because his catch radius helps our accuracy challenged QB.

I think D-line and CBs are more important especially in a 4-3 scheme that to this point hasn't rushed LBs  often  lessen the value of Burfict a little when comparing importance to players like Geno and Green.

Burfict did force turnovers, plays in coverage and is versatile that makes him alot more than your typical 4-3 backer that are sometimes considered dime a dozen.

I think D-line and CBs are more important especially in a 4-3 scheme that to this point hasn't rushed LBs  often  lessen the value of Burfict a little when comparing importance to players like Geno and Green.

Burfict did force turnovers, plays in coverage and is versatile that makes him alot more than your typical 4-3 backer that are sometimes considered dime a dozen.

It's not even so much the plays he makes, but he is the heart and soul of the defense, not to mention the QB.

Hypothetical draft.   Green is going off the board first everytime over Burfict.

Heck, some analysis were sheepishly making a point he's better than Megatron during NFL top 100. 

Whenver we have these discussions it's always Green vs. whoever isn't signed.   Green is the franchise and makes a ton of people better on offense.

Geno makes a ton of people better on Defense.    Burfict excels at making the plays and makes our LBs better by allowing subsitutions and getting them off the field when match ups don't favor them.

Hard to say who is more important on defense between 'Taze and Taz... They are both one of the top players at their positions.. Atkins is a freakish athlete that simply frequently outclasses his opposition and causes havok in the backfield from the interior which is invaluable in today's passing attack which relies so heavily on timing and fast release. 

Burfict brings an emotional and physical intensity that not only wears on the opposition, but feeds his team mates.  He has begun to show real leadership and is quickly becoming the overall leader of the unit.  Combining that with his football IQ and instincts and you have an indispensable part of the defense.

I think overall Burfict elevates his surrounding cast more so than Atkins.. Atkins does it with his play, whereas Burfict also has the fire and attitude that helps take everyone to that next level.

Without Burfict's versatility we'd have more bad matchups in coverage or running situations he allows them to match LBs to their strengths.   Specifically talking about the Rey's.

However,  pass rush went down with Geno.   Catch radius of Green is invaluable among his other assets.

Geno pre injury and Burfict could be dynamic enough to challenge for D-player of the year. 

Bengals are about 16 mil under the cap now so they could certainly sign at least 1 of Burfict/Green before the season starts. Vontaze should be the next guy in line for a new deal since he has outplayed his old one by so much. AJ is getting paid currently as a high pick, even under the new CBA. He's also signed through 2015 and could plausibly be tagged in 2016 and 2017. Taze would be harder to tag since LB tag money is set by pass rushers.

Bengals are about 16 mil under the cap now so they could certainly sign at least 1 of Burfict/Green before the season starts. Vontaze should be the next guy in line for a new deal since he has outplayed his old one by so much. AJ is getting paid currently as a high pick, even under the new CBA. He's also signed through 2015 and could plausibly be tagged in 2016 and 2017. Taze would be harder to tag since LB tag money is set by pass rushers.

I agree with this logic. I think taze is the next signed.

Being that far under the cap after going through an offseason that saw you lose Collins, MJ, and Hawkins without any significant Free Agent picks up  it'd be a shame not to get Green or Burfict extended especially when last year's  conference championship participants are adding the pieces they did.

Depends on the "impasse" with Taze.  Get whichever one done you can.  Effectively you control both for the next 2 years.  AJ is under contact, Taze can be tendered.  Then you can franchise either as need be.  I'm guessing Taze would have the cheaper tag, but not sure.

The deal with Vontez will get done. I have faith and confidence in this orgination and specifically Katie and Marvin.

I don't think he or Green are going anywhere.  The concern will be all those other FA's, particularly next year.  

Skipping backups (that'll still need to be replaced somehow) & guys like Newman who are a bet to retire, these are the ones that jump out to me as likely targets for extensions.

Gresham

Boling

Nugent

Lamur

Maualuga (yeah I know)

Moch (if he ends up with all the sacks. 3rd down pass rusher is a nice gig on this team)

Hall

Andre

Whit

Nelson

Zeitler

Jones

Sanu

DreK (Yeah I know, hoping he's a starter by then)

Still & B-Thompson (BT looked good, anyway. See DreK ^)

Iloka (meh but he's a starter for now)

Vomit Comet!

Orson Charles (hahahaha)

tl;dr  No way we can avoid losing some good players to free agency.  They're retaining a good team, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/20/bengals-reach-a-new-deal-with-vontaze-burfict/

With Andy Dalton taken care of, the Bengals are moving on to other business.

The next in line is weakside linebacker, who has agreed to a multi-year extension with the team, according to Adam Caplan of ESPN. Adam Schefter says it’s a four-year, $20 million deal, with $7.6 million this year.

He was entering the final year of his contract, but would have been a restricted free agent next year.

While many were scared off of Burfict before the draft because of off-field concerns, the Bengals rolled the dice and found a consistent performer after signing him as an undrafted rookie in 2012.

Now he’s been rewarded, and they continue to lock up the core of a good, young team.

Archived