** Anti-Fatass GoBengals ** time to not be fat anymore!

GoBengals

Well,

I figure posting my nonsense here will at least be some extra accountability, even if no one gives a shit, I can pretend they do!

Those of you who know me, know I am a fatass, i peaked at 361 lbs, my highest weight ever right before my trip to ohio this summer(last month). 

Im not that guy who needs to airplane seats or anything, but life would be easier and cheaper if i wasnt a fatass anymore.

My target weight is 250 eventually, the short term goal is to dip below 300.

Why i am a fatass:

i eat kind of poorly, and i usually didnt eat at all until 12-2pm, then i would eat at 4-6pm and then again right before bed.

this is obviously the worst possible method of consuming food, regardless of WHAT food is being eaten.

I also drank soda a TON, all meals except MAYBE last one at home..

so here is what I am chanigng to:

eating earlier in the day, 9-10am, and eating peanuts, bananas, cheese stick, whatever i have snack wise at work or home. 

Drinking about 75% less soda, and when i DO drink soda, having hi-c or lemonade, not that its much better, but it doesnt bring back any soda cravings..

eating whatever i want for lunch, i am working 50+ hrs a week currently, so if i try to eat a salad or just fruit or something i will probably shoot someone, so i eat whatever the day holds for lunch(we are often bought lunch for, like pizza, subs, cheese steaks, etc), then i only have snacks(same as mornings) in the evening, drinking about 6-8 16 once bottles of water per day..

i would love to increase my exercising, but that comes in waves when it works out with the family, I am not to the point where i am willing to hit the gym after work or go walk after work, i am beat after my 10+ hr days, so once that ends, we shall see..

so far, in the last week or so, on the food intake changes, i am down to 348.5 lbs. decent start, happy to see the drop in just habit changes.. i hope to get to the 300-325 range with just these changes, it will make adding exercise much easier to be that much lighter when i take that step, better for my back, knees, everything..

i will keep updating here every few days or once a week, always welcome to advice, i am pretty realistic to what i know i can change and cant change in my life and diet.. my kids start school next week, which opens up a TON of free time on days off  and mornings.. 

we shall see what happens going forward..

by the time i am 35(i turned 33 in may), i hope to be under 200 lbs(i am 6'2") but 325, 300, and 250 are my current goals i have in my sights.

if anyone else is doing anything similar, feel free to post and update.

-Ryan

Anybody who has sustained an injury that limits your mobility will eventually see a dietitian of sorts. Maybe a nutritionist. A professional person who gets paid and who just might know your body better than your wife. Suggestions of food that will help you live better without a want to kill someone can be accomplished. It all boils down to one not so simple thing... You have to want to get better.

The good thing is that there are a couple of those type of food experts here on the board. Tell them what you want to eat and what your goals are. One of those goals should be to not get type 2 diabetes and die before you're 50.

We're going to be rooting for you.

Insurance may cover it too. I get 3 visits a year.

Good Luck. Easiest way to do this psychologically is to do small chunks. Don't kick yourself if you don't do everything first. Tell yourself you will change one small thing everyday. The small things compound daily and then in a month or a few weeks you have a totally new lifestyle and diet. Think about January at the gym. It's packed. By mid February it's back to the regulars.

Different things work for different people. The 3 things I try to remember

1. Don't eat after 10.

2. Eat 5 small meals a day.

3. Let yourself feel hungry.

(This sounds like gremlins)

I am not great at any of those but I weighed about 25 pounds more 3 years ago and have been at my weight now for 2-3 years.

Also go for walks, get a fitbit, they are stupid but they start messing with you mentally and you start getting competitive with yourself. I got one and thought this is super dumb and then it just got to me and I would try to beat my steps.

You wouldn't know it by looking at me, but I've had my weight get out of hand and had to lose about 25% of my body weight after never having had to give a single thought to what or how much I had to eat in the past.  It's hard, and is especially difficult to get started, but once you make that commitment, you can make it happen.  That said, my random recommendations for weight loss success and gateway to a healthy lifestyle:

1. Join Weight Watchers.  Seriously.  I don't mean go to a meeting with a bunch of fat chicks, that shit is all online now.  They've got a great iPhone app that you can use to help reprogram yourself for healthier eating.  They've devised an ingenious reverse engineering of the typical calorie counting, so you don't have to think that much about it.  They take the fat, fiber, carbohydrates, and protein for any given food, and assign a point value.  You put in your current weight, your target weight, and they give you a point total for the day.  That bagel might look good, but it'll take 12 of your 30 points for the entire day.  When you look at blowing past your point total by noon, you start taking a really hard look at exactly what you're eating, and how much you're eating.  The best part is fruits and vegetables are free; you get to eat as many/as much of them as you wish, which is really healthy.  I was able to drop 30 lbs in 3 months with it.  Definitely worth looking into.
  2. Ask Khatmandude for some advice.  
  3. Do exactly what Khatmandude tells you to do.  Seriously; he's the fucking savant of dietitians and he completely changed my life.
  4. Stop drinking any and all soda.  That shit is poison and has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
  5. Exercise.  It doesn't even have to be much to start out.  Just walk for 10 minutes when you get home from work.  Any little bit helps.  Hell, you've got kids.  Give one of them the TV remote, and tell them to run away from you with it for 10 minutes.  After the 10 minutes, you get the remote and get to go inside and watch TV.  Next week, make it 15 minutes.  You get the gist.
  6. Once you get to your first milestone of under 300 lbs, get a Gazelle.  No.  Seriously.  Yeah, the dude who hawks them is a giant douche, but it's a low-impact elliptical device that will let you work your muscles and get in some cardio without fucking up your knees/joints until you get to a weight where that isn't a concern.

I've been there, though not to the extent where you are now.  Just getting started and making the commitment is the hardest part, but I think you've made that step.  Just keep moving and I think you can do it.

cut out all soda and drink unsweetened iced tea instead.  use a couple of sugar packs at first if you have to but then wean yourself off.

This.  Replace soda with organic orange or carrot juice to start.  Aside from my morning cup of coffee, I drink nothing but water throughout the day, juice after I work out, and a couple of glasses of wine at the end of the night.

Unless I'm visting CincyInDC, then my liver begs for mercy.

No :ninja:

lots of good advice. thank you all for taking the time to chip in.

I am going to be in the "behavior changing" stage for 4-6 weeks, which i consider the easy stage of this process since i will be stuck at work all the time during it. its days like today, and tomorrow where i have to make an effort to stick to the plan, i am off today and tomorrow before i go back for 20 days of straight work.

checked in at 346 this morning, but i havent eaten anything yet today, its 10:30, just got out of bed, headed to sams club for groceries..

sidenote, gotta go pickup my johnny bench and frank robinson autographed gold glove official MLB baseballs for the sports shop today or tomorrow, stoked about those!

lots of good advice. thank you all for taking the time to chip in.

I am going to be in the "behavior changing" stage for 4-6 weeks, which i consider the easy stage of this process since i will be stuck at work all the time during it. its days like today, and tomorrow where i have to make an effort to stick to the plan, i am off today and tomorrow before i go back for 20 days of straight work.

checked in at 346 this morning, but i havent eaten anything yet today, its 10:30, just got out of bed, headed to sams club for groceries..

sidenote, gotta go pickup my johnny bench and frank robinson autographed gold glove official MLB baseballs for the sports shop today or tomorrow, stoked about those!

Never go to the grocery store hungry.....!!!!!!!

Step 1: Find TDEE here http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Step 2: Count every calorie you put in yourself and eat 500 calories less than TDEE every day. It does not matter what you eat as long as total calories = TDEE - 500

Step 3: Watch 1lb disappear from the scale every week

Seriously, losing weight is that simple. As you progress and get more comfortable with the changes you can work on changing your diet/habits/lifestyle. Trying to make a wholesale change all at once is the number 1 way to fail at getting healthy. 

Step 2: Count every calorie you put in yourself and eat 500 calories less than TDEE every day. It does not matter what you eat as long as total calories = TDEE - 500

Seriously, losing weight is that simple. As you progress and get more comfortable with the changes you can work on changing your diet/habits/lifestyle. Trying to make a wholesale change all at once is the number 1 way to fail at getting healthy. 

I can't tell you how much I completely disagree with that.

I can't tell you how much I completely disagree with that.

Well you'd be disagreeing with the laws of thermodynamics. You can't physically gain weight if you're eating fewer calories than you burn. 

What your diet is composed of is of course very important, I don't mean to imply that he should continue eating junk. But if the goal is to lose weight, learn to manage calories first before making wholesale changes to what you're eating. Just by virtue of getting caloric intake under control, a lot of unhealthy food is going to get eliminated. A 600cal burger looks much less appetizing when you realize your total limit is 1800cal for the day. 

It's important to remember that no matter what you change in your lifestyle, weight loss does not happen without a caloric deficit. When people completely change their diets, they lose weight because the new diet contains fewer calories than the old - period. The new diet is of course healthier for many many other reasons, but the focus here is on weight loss.

Diet Coke has zero calories, but somehow someway fucks with your brain.    I never believed it.   Read about it.   Never believed.

Cut it out.  Cravings for things that had calories disappeared.   If you can keep to water it helps the weight loss.

You got to do something that gets your heart rate up and break a sweat.     Eat small snacks several times a day and if you do keep the calories out you'll lose.

Yes , very good advices here. Little things can go a long way. Even making it ice water over just plain water is good in that your body has to work harder , thus burning calories to get back up to temp. Good luck GO!

we have cold bottled water at work, well, that i pay for for everyone including customers to have, so its cold, just not ice cold all of the time...it works because its there and its easy... i drink ice water at home all of the time.. its also dry as fuck here, so you need a ton to not get headaches and shit anyway...

Someone told me to drink carbonated water to curb the soda cravings. I tried it once and it was gross. Maybe you'll like it?

not a fan either, my boss does thiss, its sort of ok if you make a lemon lime drink out of it, getting fresh lemon and limes from sprouts by works and cutting up squeezing into it and putting in a cup with, is drinkable.. but a lot of work for something thats just ok... i could honestly never drink soda again and be fine.... its just a convenience thing when eating out, for example i just ate at freddy's and had a burger a few fries and a sprite, i didnt want the lemonade they had and they gave thimble sized water cups so fick it, i had 12 ounces of soda... but all i will eat for the rest of the night is some broccoli and maybe a few cheese sticks and a bunch of water..so not the end of the world..  i never drink much caffinated soda, 80% of the time i have sprite or root beer so i dont have the cravings or addiction that, say, my wife has..

handy calculator.. at this point, i wont be counting calories. but i am doing essentially what you mentioned without the counting part.. im pretty aware that eating half a pizza is going to be counter productive...about half the days i am eating probably 1,000 calories less a day, which i can tell and feel tired when its that much lower, some days about the 500 lower thats recomended, and one every week or other week i will end up at my "not gonna lose anything today" intake.. 

once i get lower to where its not as easy to drop the pounds by doing what i am doing or feel confortable enough taking another step on TOP of what i am doing. i am ok with the 5-7lbs a week loss i am getting.. i could be at 250-275 by january at this rate... which would be amazing...  i know its going to slow down before that happens, but i am also more active in the inter than the summer as my kids are occupied 40 hours a week at school, so i can get stuff done.. and get out better.. and i do more with them on my off time.

my tdee number was 3100-3200, im doing 1200-2300, the recommended was 2600 from that calculator.. so basically on the right track..

I know its not this easy for everyone, but when I still lived with other people and they kept drinking all my sunkist, I just stopped drinking it cold turkey because it pissed me off coming home and reaching in the box to find it empty  (fuckers).  I now drink water and beer(on the weekends).

A couple of good sites for some healthy meal ideas:

skinnytaste.com  (Tons and tons of healthy recipes that taste awesome.  Just made lean ground beef meatballs with my crockpot and it was incredibly simple and not very time consuming.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/fitmeals  (have found a couple of good ideas here.  Actually found skinnytaste through this.  Just if you have down time.  Reddit in general kicks ass).

Best of luck!

checking out the food on that site...some solid ideas, also some stuff i would not touch, but i am a weird picky eater.. thanks for the link!

a few things i am trying to figure out..

what easy snacks(like can keep at or near my desk) are the most filling, and also what kind of things i can eat as a snack that give the most energy...

planters peanuts and sargento sharp cheddar cheese sticks are my go-to options currently.. i am probably going to add raisens into the mix... 

I would definitely do peanuts/almonds/raisins.  I currently do beef jerky for the protein content and low calories, but it is high in sodium.  Peanut butter crackers do me pretty good as well.  

checking out the food on that site...some solid ideas, also some stuff i would not touch, but i am a weird picky eater.. thanks for the link!

a few things i am trying to figure out..

what easy snacks(like can keep at or near my desk) are the most filling, and also what kind of things i can eat as a snack that give the most energy...

planters peanuts and sargento sharp cheddar cheese sticks are my go-to options currently.. i am probably going to add raisens into the mix... 

Peanuts are high in sodium and can be surprisingly high in calories as well; try to find an unsalted variety.

I love cheese sticks as well, but again, they can be high in sodium.

Carrots and celery are great, but might annoy those around you.  SkinnyPop popcorn is really good, low in sodium, and can be filling.

Pre-slice some apples and pears, as well as oranges.  These will give you the sweet taste, but are high in fiber and will fill you up. 

Two things... Giving up pop is huge... Not just for weight loss but you will generally feel better from just not feeling bloated all the time...

Two: I am a workout a holic... I do it everyday because I don't feel right if I don't. You have to change your mindset... You can't
"Just fit it in" or it will be the first thing to go when you get busy. It has to become something that is part of your day that you have to do... You have to change the way you think about your day... Even if you only take an extra half an hour a day to workout you will see huge dividends. I suggest doing it in the morning before work and you will feel better the rest of the day. If you don't have time to go the the gym then invest in a treadmill... Some time to get the blood flowing in the morning will make the rest of the day better..

Especially people with anxiety issues will benefit in the morning... It will relieve a lot of that... It helps me a ton.

Stop listening, immediately, to anyone who says to eat whatever you want, just less calories.  That's ridiculous.  And some of the dumbest advice you could give to someone trying to become healthier. 

Get past your adjustment period and get at me.  I haven't been on here much at all lately due to school and when I do get some free time from school, I"m usually riding my bike so leisure internet time has been reduced drastically.  Make your small changes, feel the benefit of being more healthy, let that motivate you to further increase your levels of health, decide you want to have plenty of energy left after your 10 hr days because you're nourishing yourself properly, decide you want to make a lifestyle change.  Do it...

Happy you're doing this.  Let me know if I can be of any help at all. 

Stop listening, immediately, to anyone who says to eat whatever you want, just less calories.  That's ridiculous.  And some of the dumbest advice you could give to someone trying to become healthier. 

Get past your adjustment period and get at me.  I haven't been on here much at all lately due to school and when I do get some free time from school, I"m usually riding my bike so leisure internet time has been reduced drastically.  Make your small changes, feel the benefit of being more healthy, let that motivate you to further increase your levels of health, decide you want to have plenty of energy left after your 10 hr days because you're nourishing yourself properly, decide you want to make a lifestyle change.  Do it...

Happy you're doing this.  Let me know if I can be of any help at all. 

I will definitely be in touch, i just need to make sure I am for real before i waste any of your time as i know you are very busy as well.

what is it they say, thirty days of something before its a habit? so sometime in September i will see where i am at, see what foods i am willing to eat regularly and where my weight is and very importantly, where my work is at and how willing i am to add some activity before or after it.

being able to see the benefits almost daily, is motivating a bit, rung in at 344.5 this morning. so by monday i could be down 20 lbs in about 3 week span, i would be happy with 20 lbs a month... so if i can get to dropping 25/mo i could be to my 250 goal in january.. but i dont expect to keep dropping like i am just off of the calorie drop. so at some point soon i am going to have to add some activities..

Archived