** Anti-Fatass GoBengals ** time to not be fat anymore!

GoBengals

The challenge, for me, is understanding the mental aspects of hunger. In my experience, hunger is mostly a symptom of boredom and food availability and has very little to do with what my body actually needs.

If i'm awake and not really doing anything, I'm hungry. I have zero abilty to judge reasonable portions based on how i feel after eating them. I can eat a giant meal and not feel full until about 30min after i stop eating. My wife thinks im crazy when i tell her "i feel exactly the same as i did before i ate this" after a good size dinner.

My adivce is to keep your mind busy, eat what you know is a reasonable amount of calories/nurtients, and ignore the feeling in your stomach telling you that you need two more plates. Then, as soon as you're done eating, get up and go do something. When i'm able to follow my own advice my body eventually adjusts and i've done very well, but i struggle massivley with getting back on track after any significant distruption in routine (vacation, work travel, injury, etc.) 

Good luck

The challenge, for me, is understanding the mental aspects of hunger. In my experience, hunger is mostly a symptom of boredom and food availability and has very little to do with what my body actually needs.

I am right there with you on this.  I spent the majority of my life thin as a rail (6', 0", 138 lbs soaking wet with a brick in my pocket) and able to consume inordinate amounts of food for my size with zero complications or considerations as to healthfulness or weight control.  I also smoked at the time, so was able to quash any hunger pangs with nicotine and just put it out of my mind.  When I quit smoking in my early 30's, I started gaining weight for the first time in my life, and had no idea how to handle it.  I was finally able to get things under control and adopt a healthy diet, but one of the most important lessons I learned was this:

It's OK to be hungry!

In fact, it is completely unnatural for our hunger to always be satiated, and flies in the face of thousands of years of evolutionary biology.  When that hunger stemming from our ancestor's time as hunter/gatherers combines with an almost unlimited food supply, the results can be catastrophic due to our bodies being programmed that it might be the last meal we see for a while.  To truly get a handle on how much we consume, I think that it is imperative to not only be thoughtful about what and how much we consume, but training our brains that the hunger pangs are OK, and there will be plenty of food down the road.

The whole it's ok to be hungry is a huge step actually. When I started this I was fucking starving, or so I thought, from a baby on you are programmed to eat when you are hungry. So that's what I did. And the more you eat the linger until you are hungry. It's kind of embarrassing how many times I have just tossed good down my throat when I are an hour earlier just because it was dinner time or someone else was hungry or snacks were around.

To mullychicken25. I was the same. I always ate more than I needed so I never felt hungry so I never felt in-hungry after a big meal. Now I feel hungry and think "good fatass you don't need any food yet anyway" if it gets bad, I have a banana or peanuts or cheese stick and drink 1-2 bottles of water. It subsides for a while. I just figure if I'm hungry then and only then is my body going to be eating some of this fatass away. Not technically sound I know but it allows be to rationalize it.

I'm hoping to get to 330 by then end of August maybe 335.

Just gonna keep on truckin.

As you know..diet, diet, diet.  It is 90% of the battle.  I do zero cardio other than running a couple miles once or twice a month, just to see where I am at cardiovascular wise.  I started eating clean last year and I am pretty ripped and jacked....not being funny.  It's to the point where people stop me and ask what I am doing.  I tell them all the same thing...diet.  Eat clean, cut out your refined sugars and empty calories.  I also keep my carb intake down.  I am very carb sensitive.  I can eat a low fat diet and eat a couple bowls of cereal and get fat.  I am also not a believer in you need a shit load of protein.  You need a decent amount, but the whole 300+ grams a day is bullshit, in my opinion.  Once you get in the habit, it's like second nature.  My waist actually started getting too lean and my wife said it was gross and begged me to gain a little more weight, so I added a little more carbs to fill it out.  It becomes a lifestyle.  Once your body gets in that mode, you can cheat every now and then and it just sucks it up.  

Also, when you work out focus on the muscle you are working.  Make a mind to muscle connection.  I see so many people just flinging weight around and not even working the muscles like they should.  Do a focus based rep.  Check out Kai Greene, he has some good videos on this.  The dude uses 35lb dumbbells for seated curls and he is a beast.  It's all about the muscle, not ego. 

Good luck man.

there was a glitch in the matrix...

so i took my kids to the reds game thursday night, it had been 2-3 days since i had eaten anything but apples, bananas, and drank spring water...felt good, all was well,...

at the game, got the kids some food, i figured screw it, i got out of work late hadnt eaten in several hours, grabbed a hot dog and some nachos.

this was a horrible horrible mistake....

about 5-10 minutes after eating, i started getting a sharp pain in my side, and my stomach felt bloated and horrible... i knew immediately i had made a horrible mistake...

so i started getting a mild chest pain roughly where my heart is...like a squeeze and tightness...felt fucking horrible..

asked kids if they wanted to leave the game, they didnt, luckily a few innings later(for my health anyway) the reds started getting toasted and we left... on the way home that dull pain and squeezing happened consistantly..

got home, drank some water.. hit the sack feeling a bit off..

woke up around 3:15am pain in chest was fucking terrible, like wincing in pain horrible...

woke up my wife.. kind of went through the issues and started looking shit up online... every single thing you look up with chest pain described that way, says call 911 right the fuck now... im not one to over react, i pride myself on being calm in such situations and making rational decisions... so i grab some 81mg aspirin, toss a pair down... hang tight, read some more shit online about symptoms... im not really having more than 2-3 of them.. but everything says call 911 if having ANY of these.. i notice my left arm is kind of tingly and numbish feeling... so im getting a bit concerned.. everything says chew a 81mg asprin, i chew one.. for a total of 3-4 aspirin maybe... give it a bit.. pain is getting seemingly worse and staying very much the same...

so i decide to get up, and i felt ill.. which is another symptom... of a heart attack...

so its 911 time..... 

call an ambulance... tests seem ok, decide to take me in (obviously) anyway..

get there.. they do:

Blood work - comes back fine

Blood pressure - fine

Oxygen level - 96

EKG - fine

Stress test - perfect

MRI - no blockage what so ever (even i was surprised by this, 33 fat as shit and my diet consisted of roughly margarine and icing until now)..

so they discharge me.. i wanted to get some thoughts from the doctor, but he was busy dealing with the guy who "admitted to drinking from 9pm-4am, doing heroine at 2am, and something else i couldnt understand over his screams of terror... AND the guy whos dog bit and broke is arm while having a seizure.... clearly more important shit than my NON-heart attack..

i have narrowed it down to be reflux/GERD issue apparently some acidic foam building up can cause chest pains and arm pain/tingly that mimics a heart attack...

and also pretty sure i just dropped $20,000 at the ER for no reason..

side note... wieghed in at 341.8 this morning... down exactly 20 lbs from the start...

there was a glitch in the matrix...

so i took my kids to the reds game thursday night, it had been 2-3 days since i had eaten anything but apples, bananas, and drank spring water...felt good, all was well,...

at the game, got the kids some food, i figured screw it, i got out of work late hadnt eaten in several hours, grabbed a hot dog and some nachos.

this was a horrible horrible mistake....

about 5-10 minutes after eating, i started getting a sharp pain in my side, and my stomach felt bloated and horrible... i knew immediately i had made a horrible mistake...

so i started getting a mild chest pain roughly where my heart is...like a squeeze and tightness...felt fucking horrible..

asked kids if they wanted to leave the game, they didnt, luckily a few innings later(for my health anyway) the reds started getting toasted and we left... on the way home that dull pain and squeezing happened consistantly..

got home, drank some water.. hit the sack feeling a bit off..

woke up around 3:15am pain in chest was fucking terrible, like wincing in pain horrible...

woke up my wife.. kind of went through the issues and started looking shit up online... every single thing you look up with chest pain described that way, says call 911 right the fuck now... im not one to over react, i pride myself on being calm in such situations and making rational decisions... so i grab some 81mg aspirin, toss a pair down... hang tight, read some more shit online about symptoms... im not really having more than 2-3 of them.. but everything says call 911 if having ANY of these.. i notice my left arm is kind of tingly and numbish feeling... so im getting a bit concerned.. everything says chew a 81mg asprin, i chew one.. for a total of 3-4 aspirin maybe... give it a bit.. pain is getting seemingly worse and staying very much the same...

so i decide to get up, and i felt ill.. which is another symptom... of a heart attack...

so its 911 time..... 

call an ambulance... tests seem ok, decide to take me in (obviously) anyway..

get there.. they do:

Blood work - comes back fine

Blood pressure - fine

Oxygen level - 96

EKG - fine

Stress test - perfect

MRI - no blockage what so ever (even i was surprised by this, 33 fat as shit and my diet consisted of roughly margarine and icing until now)..

so they discharge me.. i wanted to get some thoughts from the doctor, but he was busy dealing with the guy who "admitted to drinking from 9pm-4am, doing heroine at 2am, and something else i couldnt understand over his screams of terror... AND the guy whos dog bit and broke is arm while having a seizure.... clearly more important shit than my NON-heart attack..

i have narrowed it down to be reflux/GERD issue apparently some acidic foam building up can cause chest pains and arm pain/tingly that mimics a heart attack...

and also pretty sure i just dropped $20,000 at the ER for no reason..

side note... wieghed in at 341.8 this morning... down exactly 20 lbs from the start...

Glad you're OK.  Acid reflux/heartburn is the cause behind a significant portion of all hospital visits complaining of heart attack symptoms. 

it was worrisome until they saw my blood pressure and heart and oxygen were fine in the ambulance... then i knew something far less dangerous was up, and knew everything from that point was probably a waste of time/resources and felt kind of bad for wasting an ER bed and doctor/nurses time. But i did at least gain some knowledge about the situation which is always valuable to have.

340 today.

going to be lots of walking and lots of sweating going on... reds/rockies double header... but i will probably have a burger or a slice of pizza or something as i will be at coors field for like 8 hours.. but no soda still, i have no craving for soda.. taking some fruit with us, etc..

Wow is definitely the word. Personally, I have in the past been stubborn to use the hospital. However, my wife and kids convinced me it's not a sign of weakness to go. Now, if I can only figure out how to collect frequent flier miles with hospital visits...

Thanks for pouring your situation out there for people to see. Perhaps it will reach a stubborn person and help them change. Keep us updated and we're all rooting for you.

Glad you're OK, and you absolutely did the right thing by going to the ER.  You simply can't take a chance with those symptoms. 

Right on. Not going when there really is a problem is when you die...

As sois said, that was pretty stressful even to read. Scary stuff man.. 

Glad everything checked out ok.. Keep up the good work, no more hotdogs...lol

Archived