National Guard dumps Dale Earnhardt Jr.; GOP cites Obama pressure

Go Skins

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2551791/

The National Guard is ending its sponsorship of NASCAR and IndyCar racing teams and top racers Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Graham Rahal, in a shocking move that some are blaming on President Obama and Senate Democrats.

The Guard said it will cut funding at the end of the year, claiming its contract is up after investing $44 million in the two sports. However, Hendrick Motorsports, the NASCAR team the Guard supports and the owner of Earnhardt's No. 88 Chevrolet, said the contract extends through 2015.

For fans, the decision means that the most popular driver in NASCAR is now without one of his top sponsors — and next year, his car, firesuits and hats will no longer carry the National Guard logo in huge letters.

Democrats had pushed the National Guard to stop spending money on the sponsorships, which were used for recruiting.

The Guard's decision, announced in a statement, drew an attack from North Carolina Rep. Richard Hudson, who blamed political pressure for the sudden move.

“In May of this year Senate Democrats held a hearing and asked for a review of the program. Unfortunately, instead of actually looking for the facts, this was a clear effort to put pressure on the National Guard to end this valuable program. If we’re going to spend money on recruiting, then we should stop playing politics and spend it wisely by investing in the best resources available,” said Hudson, a Republican.

Yes, cut funding for infrastructure and healthcare and social services, but do not touch my NASCAR advertising. Some priorities are really effed up in our politics today.

I don't think our military service has a need for advertising - poverty, the academies and patriotism are the best recruiting tools they have.

And $44 Million is not chump change. $44 Million can fix a lot of roads and bridges.

Yes, cut funding for infrastructure and healthcare and social services, but do not touch my NASCAR advertising. Some priorities are really effed up in our politics today.

I don't think our military service has a need for advertising - poverty, the academies and patriotism are the best recruiting tools they have.

And $44 Million is not chump change. $44 Million can fix a lot of roads and bridges.

I agree,  not a big fan of govt sponsored advertising 

Archived