Rex"s little buddy has relapsed

TWEET
EMAIL
xxx-jack-hoffman-nebraska-decc12.jpg?w=1

(Photo courtesy of Andy Hoffman)

Almost a year-and-a-half ago, America was introduced to 7-year-old Jack Hoffman when he sprinted 69 yards for a touchdown in Nebraska’s spring game. It was an incredible moment that brought awareness to pediatric brain cancer, the disease Hoffman was diagnosed with at age 5.

Since then, Hoffman has won an ESPY, met President Barack Obama and received the wonderful news that his cancer was in remission. But this week, Jack, now 8, learned that his tumor has grown since an April MRI, and might need surgery and more chemotherapy. Wednesday, Jack’s father Andy posted an update to the website CaringBridge.org.

“Today we were humbly reminded that when your child has an inoperable brain tumor, that anything can happen at any point in time,” he wrote. “Despite Jack’s tumor being declared in remission (stable) last October, today we learned that that is no longer the case. While we left Boston in April with the knowledge that there was a “spot of concern”, we nonetheless remained optimistic that it was just nothing.”

Andy wrote that Jack is “doing great” and called this a “mild setback.” Doctors are meeting to discuss Jack’s case and will follow up with the family to suggest treatment.

Thursday the family plans to watch Jack’s favorite football player, former Cornhusker Rex Burkhead — who has developed a special relationship with the Hoffman family — and the Kansas City Chiefs take on the Cincinnati Bengals in a preseason game at Arrowhead Stadium.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/8-year-old-nebraska-superfan-jack-hoffman-cancer-returned

Poor little fella, makes ya want to cry.

There's nothing worse in this world than cancer and there is nothing worse than children who have yet to fulfill their potential getting it.  Stay strong, Jack.  I'm rooting for ya brother.

I almost didn't click this link because I thought it was something related to Rex Ryan.  So unfortunate to hear for this kid, pulling for him.

I was thinking the same thing. No thread should ever be about that Rex's "little buddy."

Really hoping to hear good news for Jack and his family. Kind of puts things into perspective for sure. 

Archived