What the hell is happening in Ferguson?

kennethmw

Looting always happens during riots but provides a handy distraction from the real issues.

Oh someone stole a TV while the entire city's PD was busy playing Call of Duty: Unarmed Civilians? Well in that case all those rioters are just petty criminals to be crushed.

Don't buy into it.

Looters are opportunists that have little or nothing to do with any cause. The line you're being fed would have you equate looters with rioters. Don't bite.

and to add.....people are making judgements based on a sensationalized media that will report what it wants....reality or truth be damned. 

And so some people looted.....separate them from the protestors doing actual good work in bringing to attention perceived injustice.   How can people dismiss just because of some looters?  What kind of logic is that.  People don't act as groups, they act as individuals.  Separate the individuals who are looting from the rest of the peaceful protestors who want answers and aren't looting. 

and to add.....people are making judgements based on a sensationalized media that will report what it wants....reality or truth be damned. 

And so some people looted.....separate them from the protestors doing actual good work in bringing to attention perceived injustice.   How can people dismiss just because of some looters?  What kind of logic is that.  People don't act as groups, they act as individuals.  Separate the individuals who are looting from the rest of the peaceful protestors who want answers and aren't looting. 

How are police going to do that when they are getting rocks, bottles and Molotov cocktails thrown at them? They can't stop and nicely go up to each person and ask if they just threw something.

You can't act as if the police started this and then rioting was the response.

My daddy used to say, if brains were underwear, some people would be bare assed.

You can't speak to the questions I am asking you to respond to so you insult people. That's an actual fact.

Amen...

Too many times nowadays people are distracted from actual events by petty circumstances...

See the forest for the trees

I would like to point out that random dude's tweet is the first I've heard of any molotovs and nowhere does he say that they were thrown, let alone at police. But hey, rando says he saw a gun so let's start arresting journalists.  QED.

I have no idea why the journalists were arrested. it seems crazy. But I will wait to hear the entire story.

You can't act as if the police started this and then rioting was the response.

When it becomes increasingly clear that the police basically murdered (yet another) a young black man, then actually...yes you can, because their unlawful, excessive actions did start this.

Here ya go:

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/08/two-americas-ferguson-missouri-versus-bundy-ranch-nevada/

Though, from what I'm reading now, MO Highway Patrol took over & the OIC Capt. Johnson deserves a promotion.  Walked with a protest march earlier today, had his people remove the gasmasks from their kit, and let protestors exercise their constitutional rights without pointing rifles at them.  Strangely enough the violence seems to have ended.

"They are being given a chance to express what they are feeling. Sometimes you just have to let people speak and make yourself listen."  This guy rules.

Ferguson PD take notes; this is the difference between being a cop and some wannabe-operator tactical dickhead.  You're not in Benghazi.

When it becomes increasingly clear that the police basically murdered (yet another) a young black man, then actually...yes you can, because their unlawful, excessive actions did start this.

I keep asking what the story is here and no one has pointed me to an article. I read one and it was a ton of he said he said.

And I was speaking to the riots and the tear gas

Here ya go:

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/08/two-americas-ferguson-missouri-versus-bundy-ranch-nevada/

Though, from what I'm reading now, MO Highway Patrol took over & the OIC Capt. Johnson deserves a promotion.  Walked with a protest march earlier today, had his people remove the gasmasks from their kit, and let protestors exercise their constitutional rights without pointing rifles at them.  Strangely enough the violence seems to have ended.

"They are being given a chance to express what they are feeling. Sometimes you just have to let people speak and make yourself listen."  This guy rules.

Ferguson PD take notes; this is the difference between being a cop and some wannabe-operator tactical dickhead.  You're not in Benghazi.

What do you think was the correct response to rioters?

From what I can tell people are mad at the mere existence of the swat teams in riot gear.

Here ya go:

What if the protestors had been open carry? That's a great question.

What do you think was the correct response to rioters?

GTFO with your disingenuous bullshit "When did you stop beating your wife" questions.  How's that for an answer?

The correct response to the rioters was to pretend they were white people and the Cardinals just won the World Series, and let them have their fun.

If we're going to be full of shit, I mean.

GTFO with your disingenuous bullshit "When did you stop beating your wife" questions.  How's that for an answer?

The correct response to the rioters was to pretend they were white people and the Cardinals just won the World Series, and let them have their fun.

If we're going to be full of shit, I mean.

And are looting and throwing rocks at police and handmade explosives? Police should have just let the riots go on?

"The 18-year-old was shot and killed by an officer over the weekend under circumstances that still haven’t been fully revealed.

Rioting erupted within a short time, and Mayor James Knowles told WND that even outsiders came into the town to join in the looting and violence.

WND reported on the chaos that erupted late Sunday as protests over the police shooting resulted in 32 arrests and two injured officers.

Brown, a recent high school graduate, was in a struggle over a police officer’s gun when he was shot, according to officials. But his mother, Lesley McSpadden, rejects the official version and wants the officer who fired the lethal shots to receive the death penalty.

Knowles said hackers demanding action crashed the city’s email system.

fergusonriot2.png

Knowles also said many of the people who smashed, looted, burned and destroyed in the aftermath of protests following a fatal police shooting of a teenager were out-of-towners.

“Once the vigil dispersed, the people who showed up saw their numbers and got really brave, then people started driving in from other areas to steal stuff,” he said.

“A lot of the people aren’t even from our town; but they came in and stole from our businesses and left our town in ruins, and made it look like there are racial tensions here that simply aren’t what they made them out to be. Such a shame that we have people with an axe to grind, coming here to grind it,” he said.

Race was immediately injected into the dispute.

Multiple Twitter posts said the looting was a negative for the community and should have been done in “white” neighborhoods.

Looters, said “Madam Nori,” are “tearing up their own neighborhood instead of terrorizing the white neighborhoods.”

They “need to go to the white people’s area and start looting,” wrote “Groovy.”

Video footage showed looters carrying cases of beer and other items into the street, despite the Brown family calling for calm during their time of grief."

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2014/08/black-protesters-putting-cops-on-hit-list-in-missouri/#sXc9UFqIsJ1hdXdR.99

And are looting and throwing rocks at police and handmade explosives? Police should have just let the riots go on?

Nobody threw any explosives at police.

Wait, let me put this in terms you will understand:

Are you saying they should have machine-gunned the entire crowd for throwing rocks?  Or would you prefer a drone strike?

Nobody threw any explosives at police.

Wait, let me put this in terms you will understand:

Are you saying they should have machine-gunned the entire crowd for throwing rocks?  Or would you prefer a drone strike?

I don't think you are capable of a sensible conversation about this.

Have you spoken to a police man who has to go try to keep the peace during a riot? Do you want him to not be safe?

I am asking you questions and you are being frustrated and insulted instead of answering the questions and having a discussion.

I don't think you are capable of a sensible conversation about this.

Have you spoken to a police man who has to go try to keep the peace during a riot? Do you want him to not be safe?

I am asking you questions and you are being frustrated and insulted instead of answering the questions and having a discussion.

So you're going with "drone strike" then.

Molotov cocktails and police use tear gas, smoke bombs
Ferguson Wednesday Night
Protesters try unsuccessfully to light a Molotov cocktail on Wednesday in Ferguson, Mo. Protests in the St. Louis suburb rocked by racial unrest since a white police officer shot an unarmed black teenager to death turned violent Wednesday night, with people lobbing molotov cocktails at police who responded with smoke bombs and tear gas to disperse the crowd. (AP Photo | CHRIS LEE)
15616072-mmmain.jpg

Police used tear gas and smoke bombs to repel crowds who threw Molotov cocktails during another violent night on the streets of a St. Louis suburb in the wake of the shooting of the unarmed 18-year old Michael Brown.

Hours earlier, the police chief had said race relations were the top priority in the town, where a white police officer fatally shot the black teen. Authorities have vowed to reach across the racial, economic and generational divide in a community in search of answers.

In the streets of Ferguson, though, the polite dialogue heard at community forums and news conferences is nowhere to be found.

Instead, officers from multiple departments in riot gear and in military equipment have clashed nightly with protesters, who chant, "Hands up, don't shoot."

Wednesday saw more tense confrontations and further volleys of tear gas from police — this time paired with smoke bombs in response to flaming projectiles and other objects lobbed from the crowd. Protesters faced heavily armed police who at times trained weapons on them from armored trucks.

Two reporters said they were detained by police for not clearing out quickly enough from a McDonald's where they were working, near the protests but away from the more volatile areas. The two, who work for The Washington Post and The Huffington Post, were released without any charges. Both say they were assaulted but not seriously hurt.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that about 10 people had been arrested, including St. Louis Alderman Antonio French, who has been chronicling the protests on social media. Police had said earlier they would not have arrest information until early today.

The White House said President Barack Obama — who is on vacation on the Massachusetts island of Martha's Vineyard — was briefed late Wednesday on the situation in Ferguson by Attorney General Eric Holder and senior adviser Valerie Jarrett. Obama has another briefing scheduled for this morning.

Residents in Ferguson have complained about what they called a heavy-handed police presence that began with the use of dogs for crowd control soon after Brown's shooting — a tactic that for some invoked the specter of civil rights protests a half-century ago. The county police force took over leading both the investigation of Brown's shooting and the subsequent attempts to keep the peace at the smaller city's request.

County Police Chief Jon Belmar, though, said his officers have responded with "an incredible amount of restraint," as they've been the targets of rocks, bottles and gunshots, with two dozen patrol vehicles being destroyed.

Police had also asked earlier that people assemble in "an organized and respectful" manner and disperse before evening.

T-dub, I am sorry I started a thread that got you in a circular discussion with Weston. As I can see from the number of ignored posts, he has taken over this thread. My suggestion would be to ignore him, and have discussions with the people on here that are truly interested in discussing this. Weston is not one of those people.

T-dub, I am sorry I started a thread that got you in a circular discussion with Weston. As I can see from the number of ignored posts, he has taken over this thread. My suggestion would be to ignore him, and have discussions with the people on here that are truly interested in discussing this. Weston is not one of those people.

Kenneth,

You don't seem really open minded and objective on this and then you are projecting that on me. You can't even respond to any of the questions I have with facts or reasonable discussion, and then you say I am not doing that. It's an absurdity. I am trying to make sure both sides of this are presented. Someone literally wrote no one is throwing explosives at police, then we have a picture of people lighting them.

Archived