Too much moderation is worse than no moderation

oldschooler

WTF, most of us are going back and forth disagreeing and posting links to backup our side.

Stop punishing everybody for what you see as the acts of a few, do something about them and leave us alone.

Why should I get involved in discussions if someone can come along and get the thread hidden while it's going on.

I don't know what happened to the thread.. I think Kenneth may have deleted it?  I don't think you could once there were replies, but as far as I know no mods did this.. I restored the thread as soon as I noticed.

I don't know what happened to the thread.. I think Kenneth may have deleted it?  I don't think you could once there were replies, but as far as I know no mods did this.. I restored the thread as soon as I noticed.

It was my thread, wasn't it?

i feel like i have been at work since... July.... 

would we rather:

a. lock the thread

b. lock it for 24 hours then re-open once people can cool off

c. lock posters ability to post for an a:hour B:day C: week whom are getting "out of hand"

d: other?

i think we all can see the problem, we just need a solution.

It was my thread, wasn't it?

I don't think you have the right to remove the content of all these other people who have participated in the thread. You may have started it, but that doesn't mean you own it.

Thanks for the reply Lucid, sorry to have done a mod attack.

No problem at all.

I think locking or deleting a thread is a measure of last resort. Temporarily closing the thread with a mod note to give people that are getting their Irish up is better. I think that briefly suspending a poster's ability to post (in that thread) is a better option still. If adults are talking, put the child in a corner for a timeout.

i feel like i have been at work since... July.... 

would we rather:

a. lock the thread

b. lock it for 24 hours then re-open once people can cool off

c. lock posters ability to post for an a:hour B:day C: week whom are getting "out of hand"

d: other?

i think we all can see the problem, we just need a solution.

Is it possible to lock peoples ability to post in a certain thread or subforum for a specific amount of time?

Is it possible to lock peoples ability to post in a certain thread or subforum for a specific amount of time?

There is a forum upgrade upcoming that will give us this ability, but at the time, no.

It will make things easier.

Is the upgrade available now or as it its coming out soon?

I'm not sure if the plugin is not yet available or if Go isn't ready to implement it.. But this was one of the upgrade possibilities we discussed and decided it would be a beneficial thing.

Personally, I am fine with people calling me names in the J&D forum. It's such a small offshoot of the site, basically dedicated to the liberal mindset that when there is an opposing voice, tempers will flare. I say either let that one go basically moderator free, or just close the thing for good.

The bengals forums were getting ruined by people constantly arguing though, and I agree with the moderation in that one.

Personally, I am fine with people calling me names in the J&D forum. It's such a small offshoot of the site, basically dedicated to the liberal mindset that when there is an opposing voice, tempers will flare. I say either let that one go basically moderator free, or just close the thing for good.

The bengals forums were getting ruined by people constantly arguing though, and I agree with the moderation in that one.

The problem is that bad shit spills over from here to the rest of the forum.. We have taken a much lighter hand in the J&D forum, but I don't think simply letting threads devolve into insult ridden shouting matches does anybody any good.

Like RayDogg said, most of the people in that Ferguson thread are conversing responsibly and presenting rational discussion.  I don't think it's fair to those who can act like adults to let the few who want to act abusively ruin the thread.

Archived