What are you playing?

B.A.B.

I hate that i have to go through origin/uplay to get this game

You're nuts breh.

Anyways Dragon Age Inquisition I'd getting great reviews. I got a new keyboard and mouse showing up today. I'm excited

http://youtu.be/tCp21u6Fxjs

I hate that i have to go through origin/uplay to get this game

My daughter's playing this right now. Might actually and honestly be the first computer / video game I didn't have to pay for...

Anyway, on a scale of 1 to 10, she gives it a 12. It looks pretty good. I may have to install it on my computer before too much longer.

My daughter's playing this right now. Might actually and honestly be the first computer / video game I didn't have to pay for...

Anyway, on a scale of 1 to 10, she gives it a 12. It looks pretty good. I may have to install it on my computer before too much longer.

Yeah...I've been waiting for this game for a long time and it's one of the best games I've ever played. Tons of content. So much content. Soooooooo much.

hmmm... I'm a big fan of previous DA games, but i have a huge backlog of games.  So i'll probably wait for it to go on sale w/ dlc.

BTW, I hate that DLC is a thing now....

And yeah Origin fucking sucks, but if you disable it in game you'll be fine. Origin has gotten better the past year I feel. Uplay, however, is the shittiest launcher I've ever used. Hate it so much

hmmm... I'm a big fan of previous DA games, but i have a huge backlog of games.  So i'll probably wait for it to go on sale w/ dlc.

Seriously. Nickel and dime bullshit. If were lucky well get a full on expansion for this down the road like how Origins had Awakenings come out

What, you expect them to patch your halfway-finished game for free?  Deadlines had to be met.

Yeah...I've been waiting for this game for a long time and it's one of the best games I've ever played. Tons of content. So much content. Soooooooo much.

So by the sounds of it, you're a pretty big fan of the series. What do think so far of Inquisition?

I think it goes without saying that it is light years better than DA2. The game is massive and it's set up in a way so that you can't really rush through it (in totality). There is definitely a lot to do and it makes it feel like everything you do do (hehe "doo doo") is meaningful. Overall, I'm loving it - it stays true to what Bioware has done right with RPGs.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I have some small gripes:

- Tactics. While there may actually be more tactical combat in this compared to DA2, it is still dumbed, and watered down compared to DA: Origins.... you know, the FIRST game of the series. You'd think we'd see a progression in combat gameplay instead of regression. Remember in DA:O how detailed you could "program" each party member to behave? From how they reacted to enemies in close, mid, and far range; What powers to use when i.e.) have your mage use a healing or shielding spell on a party member who hits a minimum threshold in HP. There was just SO much more detail in how you could manage your party. I remember it took me a while, but I perfected my tactics to the point where I hardly had to pause combat and re-specify attacks and behavior, I just had everything programmed to work fluidly. I'm not having such ease in Inquisition. The Behavior menu for your party is laughably simplistic to the point where changes hardly have any effect. You can choose "Defend 'person X'" or "Follow 'person X'" Defend is useless because that party member will just stand near you and watch on until an enemy is close enough, which for a rogue or mage defeats the purpose because I want those party members to stay at far range. With bigger enemies that have multiple target points too, I have to KEEP specifying where to attack for EACH attack for EACH member. How fucking tedious. Which brings me to my next gripe...

- Party A.I. Ugh I get so fuckin frustrated at times. I'll use the tactical mode to place my party where I want them and which attack to use. No sooner do I exit tactical mode to progress action, and they go running off to some other point on their own... when I have someone like Solas and Varric with me, I want them to sit back and use their long range attacks - they're a mage and rogue respectively that's what they're supposed to do. But NO, seconds after I specify an action, they go running up to an enemy, point blank and start getting their ass kicked and spamming my health potions. Of course this all circles back to the lack of detail in how you can specify each member's behavior.

****Potential Spoiler****

The part where Varric introduces Hawke to your character and you get to choose the Default or Custom appearance - that's all cool and all, but I feel they ignored implementing Hawke's personality you played him as in DA2. I thought you specified in The Keep the kind of personality you played as. My Hawke from DA2 had a humorous/sarcastic character. In Inquisition he just seems like a generic, brooding, serious character. It isn't consistent with how I played AS him at all.

- I find crafting in the game to be flawed. You change armor and weapons so much as you progress and level, it almost makes any crafting of additions (sword hilts, arm and leg additions to armor, etc.) seem like a waste of resources. The only way it is helpful is in the case with Varric and his weapon attachments because he only uses his crossbow, Bianca. In addition to that, you have to be at the "Modify Armor/Weapon" stand to even do anything. So if you're out exploring and find a useful addition for a weapon or armor, you have to go back to a Fort/Keep and find the armory to simply make the addition to your gear. That gets to be so redundant, but in a way it is necessary because as you fight higher level enemies, having inadequate gear and resistances/defense will only get you your ass kicked. Trying to keep all your party members with adequate gear and weapons this way is a chore.

- Character and Interaction: Compared to Shepard in Mass Effect, the (straight) characters of the Dragon Age games have real slim pickings among the women they can choose to stick their pixelized dick in. In Inquisition I believe Cassandra, Josephine, and Sera are your only options. So far, I like most of the characters, but I haven't found any that strike my interest too much. I think so far, the characters from Origins were the best written, complex, and unique enough to be able to relate with. I always liked the interaction between Morrigan and Alistair in Origins. Varric was cool in DA2 because he just seemed like a best friend and Isabella was fun. I don't feel much towards any characters so far. Cullen seems like a more boring Alistair. The elf, Sera, is kind of fun, but kind of annoying too. I don't think I really understand her character, or more so what she's involved in. I have no clue what she's ever talking about and it gets boring. Leliana seems more callous and mysterious than she did in the previous games and that makes sense with her position within the Inquisition now, but it seems sudden and not developed properly. Remember how almost childish she seemed in Origins? Seems like a totally different character now, but you never got to really see why.

Overall though, these gripes haven't deterred me from enjoying the game. It's definitely one of, if not the best game to come out on the new gen consoles so far.

More content than Skyrim? There was so much to do in Skyrim that it was very easy to forget what you were ultimately trying to accomplish.

Pretty well stick to Steam and/or indie devs anymore, but I'm almost exclusively a PC gamer (as far as vidya goes)

Same. I have a PS4 as well, but Sony doesn't really seem to be trying right now. Just got Destiny, so we'll see how that goes. I played the alpha and the beta so I know what to expect. I just wanna play something on the PS4 besides sports games.

I'm gonna get Far Cry 4 on PC cause of how SHITTY UPlay is. Have I mentioned that ITT? Well if so, there it is again. I can't even properly play Splinter Cell Blacklist without it EVERY TIME trying to get me to install some update I must have installed 10 times by now. FUCK.

And I have a lot of the same compmlaints about DAI, Jrod. Finally just getting to looking at that bit you wrote. I disagree with the characters a bit though, especially Leliana. I know what you mean, in a ways, since she's definitely a lot different than she was in DA:O. But its also been 10 years since they killed the Archdemon. She's been running around with Cassandra doing god knows what since then. All kinds of heinous shit from time to time, I'm sure. She's definitely not the same chick. But you see how she joined Mother(whatshername) in song after the incident at Haven. So a little bit of her is there. They just seem to want you to not focus on her as much as your controllable companions.

In terms of them though, my favorites are Dorian, Iron Bull, Vivienne, and Blackwall. Sera...I kinda just wanna kick her the fuck out. I didn't list Varric, because he's already a badass, and we know this from DA2. He's just about as awesome in this, though his experience with red lyrium and his brother seems to have fucked him up a bit.

I think with how time has passed within the world, the character changes work pretty well as well.

I haven't finished the game yet, though I'm getting close. I just wish we could meet the warden. I hope the next game in the series goes a few hundred years into the future so that most of this stuff is merely legend. Would be really cool.

Same. I have a PS4 as well, but Sony doesn't really seem to be trying right now. Just got Destiny, so we'll see how that goes. I played the alpha and the beta so I know what to expect. I just wanna play something on the PS4 besides sports games.

I'm gonna get Far Cry 4 on PC cause of how SHITTY UPlay is. Have I mentioned that ITT? Well if so, there it is again. I can't even properly play Splinter Cell Blacklist without it EVERY TIME trying to get me to install some update I must have installed 10 times by now. FUCK.

And I have a lot of the same compmlaints about DAI, Jrod. Finally just getting to looking at that bit you wrote. I disagree with the characters a bit though, especially Leliana. I know what you mean, in a ways, since she's definitely a lot different than she was in DA:O. But its also been 10 years since they killed the Archdemon. She's been running around with Cassandra doing god knows what since then. All kinds of heinous shit from time to time, I'm sure. She's definitely not the same chick. But you see how she joined Mother(whatshername) in song after the incident at Haven. So a little bit of her is there. They just seem to want you to not focus on her as much as your controllable companions.

In terms of them though, my favorites are Dorian, Iron Bull, Vivienne, and Blackwall. Sera...I kinda just wanna kick her the fuck out. I didn't list Varric, because he's already a badass, and we know this from DA2. He's just about as awesome in this, though his experience with red lyrium and his brother seems to have fucked him up a bit.

I think with how time has passed within the world, the character changes work pretty well as well.

I haven't finished the game yet, though I'm getting close. I just wish we could meet the warden. I hope the next game in the series goes a few hundred years into the future so that most of this stuff is merely legend. Would be really cool.

I can see you point concerning Leliana. It just seems between three games now, they've introduced so many characters, that there's less detail and intimacy involved with certain characters. I suppose Mass Effect spoiled me in that sense; by the end of the trilogy, those characters and the relationships built felt real, which is part of what made the end so frustrating and emotional.

I've been hoping to see appearances from characters of previous games. It's cool that you get to see Hawke. My favorite character in the series was Morrigan. I pursued her as my Warden's interest and entered the Eluvian with her in the DA:O DLC. With her link with Flemmeth and the ominous things she spoke of, I imagine she'll have an appearance in this game (NO SPOILERS!), and in that case I am/was hoping to see the Warden/Hero of Ferelden too. Is there even supposed to be a continuation to this saga after this game?

In terms of characters, Varric is definitely one of my favorites in terms of character depth; he has colorful personality. I've liked the progression of Cassandra. She goes from being merely a hardass Seeker to someone who opens up a bit more and shows vulnerability and weakness. It's funny that Freddie Prince Jr. voices Iron Bull because he kind of reminded me of James Vega from Mass Effect 3 with his sense of humor and personality. Solas is a character that there seems to be tension with. I think perhaps that may have to do with the lack of approval from him on some of my choices. He doesn't seem to like my Inquisitor and vice versa. That happened to me with the one Elf squad member from DA2 (forget his name) and by the end of the game he challenged me and I had to fight and kill him... asshole, snarky, arrogant elves.

Can't believe you're almost done with the game. I've been doing so much and haven't even progressed much in the main storyline missions. I've spent the past two times playing on the Oasis area with the Shards doors. This game can be very time consuming for someone a bit OCD-ish with being thorough and a completionist. One of my frustrations so far is not being able to defeat a dragon... have had to retreat twice now. I'm at level 15; thought I'd be prepared enough to take one down... obviously not.

Shadow of Mordor is bananas

I just got this off Amazon for $25 last week. I've heard it's the bee's tits. Don't know if I want to start it until I finish Dragon Age though... whenever that happens.

Was excited to see they're releasing a remastered version of the original Resident Evil.

Yes, excited.

Get off my lawn...

Have you played it before? It was released on the Gamecube initially. It was definitely one of the best in the series.

If you haven't played - There's even some positive additions to the game that is different than the PS original, including a recurring enemy through the game and a zombie "variant" that makes you have to consider routes throughout the mansion and which ways are most traveled and to strategize the routes you take based on the resources/items you have on you. It controls similarly to the originals, which I myself don't mind. I find the fixed cameras and clunky controls add to the tension and horror since it gives you a lesser sense of control and capability. The RE Remake is the best of the series since RE4 (I actually like it more for it stays more true to the original Playstation games).

I'm not a big fan of the whole "Reboot" culture we've seen with games and more so in movies, but with how well they did on remaking RE1, I'd love to see a remastered version of RE2 and RE3. The originals were great, timeless classics - they hold a special place in my childhood memories - but considering the direction they took with the newer games, I'd welcome a renewal of the games that everyone already loves.

Have you played it before? It was released on the Gamecube initially. It was definitely one of the best in the series.

If you haven't played - There's even some positive additions to the game that is different than the PS original, including a recurring enemy through the game and a zombie "variant" that makes you have to consider routes throughout the mansion and which ways are most traveled and to strategize the routes you take based on the resources/items you have on you. It controls similarly to the originals, which I myself don't mind. I find the fixed cameras and clunky controls add to the tension and horror since it gives you a lesser sense of control and capability. The RE Remake is the best of the series since RE4 (I actually like it more for it stays more true to the original Playstation games).

I'm not a big fan of the whole "Reboot" culture we've seen with games and more so in movies, but with how well they did on remaking RE1, I'd love to see a remastered version of RE2 and RE3. The originals were great, timeless classics - they hold a special place in my childhood memories - but considering the direction they took with the newer games, I'd welcome a renewal of the games that everyone already loves.

Yes, I played the original on the original Playstation.  The original RE and RE 2 are probably my all-time favorite games, with MediEvil a close 3rd.  Loved those games.  I think Castlevania: Symphony of the Night would be number 4.

Then I got old and couldn't beat games anymore... :biglaugh:

Sigh... :\

There's even some positive additions to the game that is different than the PS original, including a recurring enemy through the game and a zombie "variant" that makes you have to consider routes throughout the mansion and which ways are most traveled and to strategize the routes you take based on the resources/items you have on you.

Shit!  Sounds like they made it harder... :lol:

Sigh... :\

Shit!  Sounds like they made it harder... :lol:

Get into some strategy games or simulators?  Though I've never been into platformers or the twitchy/spam-type FPS, either.

Except Team Fortress/TF2 because that's hilarious.

Get into some strategy games or simulators?  Though I've never been into platformers or the twitchy/spam-type FPS, either.

Except Team Fortress/TF2 because that's hilarious.

I like puzzle and physics games; the only simulator type game I liked (AKA didn't suck at) was Test Drive 5, mainly because I found the cheats on the internet.

I started out with the original Atari, never got my hands on a Coleco or NES, having to play them in limited spurts at the house of friends who did own them.  My wife bought me the Playstation on our second Xmas and I played the shit out of it, most RE and the like.  Bought the PS3 not too long after it came out and in the intervening years between the original PS and the PS3 hit the wall in terms of my ability to play games.  They were just too damn hard for me to figure out anymore, and I didn't have the time to dedicate to doing so.  Now I just use it to play Blurays... 

Archived