What are you playing?

B.A.B.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2016 at 9:24 PM, Enon Bengal said:

What's the scoop on the Skyrim re-release?

It's one of those games I've started a dozen times and never finished...

I get the impression that all the various mods already did that.  Plus, now the really cool non-graphics gameplay ones won't work.  Not the same game without Frostfall or RND etc.  I'm more inclined to wait for the next release.

Me, I'm back to playing Rust.  And World of Warships, which is F2P.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Still playing Rust.  It's kind of "Lord of the Flies" the video game, only without even the tribal social structure. Maybe a bit of Stanford Prison Experiment for flavor.  A true Libertarian utopia complete with cannibalism and sheltering in caves.

Highly recommended.  Just remember; it's only a game.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ronthan said:

Started playing the World of Warships, and I'm loving it.

Played that one for a bit, I suggest staying at Tier 4 or below for the most part where it's still fun.  From T5 their matchmaker will place you against ships up to 2 tiers above you & you'll start running into the pay-to-win OP bullshit T7's.  Or you can join them, but you'll need to keep pace with the power creep every time they release a new Premium Bundle.  And of course your new T7 will then get up-tiered against T9's.. Where a single premium ships costs as much as most stand-alone games. Oh and you better set aside some extra cash to buy the Premium consumables too if you want to be competitive at that tier.   $$$$$

The game itself is fun but Wargaming's business model is awful. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Life is Feudal MMO

Stellaris 2.0

Still RS2: Vietnam.  They're releasing the 2nd expansion (ARVN, first was ANZAC) & there are a ton of custom maps for it now, some of them using GPS data from the real-world battlegrounds.  Few mods in the works too.  Losing your entire squad to an errant napalm can is an experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Been spending a ton of time on Subnautica.  Very cool game.  

Basically, a survival game that takes place on a mostly underwater alien planet.  One of the very few survival games I've played that actually gets the balance right between having enough crafting to be interesting, but not so much that it's overly tedious.  Resources are available enough that you're not annoyed when you have to go out and get something, but still scarce enough to push you to explore new areas, which is really where the game shines.  I actually bought this game because I'm a scuba diver, and have always wanted to find a game that actually does a good job of capturing the mystery of diving, and this game actually does a good job of scratching that itch, even with it's sci-fi components.  

Wandering into new areas can be pretty awesome, and at the same terrifying as you plunge into the depths without knowing what's there (and you may very well find something much bigger than you).  

Also has a base-building mechanic that I initially had no intention of using more than necessary, but have grown to love it and now have multiple large bases around the map.

There's also just enough story to give the game purpose and depth.  There's no real time limit, so you can do things at your pace, but if you do get bored, you can go back and investigate the story more.  

Only downside is that I bought it as a pre-release on Xbox One for $15, which is playable and worth that cost, but definitely has some significant performance issues, especially when you get into the deeper areas.  I've recently started exploring one of the areas closer to the end game, and the texture popping makes exploration extremely difficult as it's often hard to see what is a cavern and what is solid wall until you run into it (and I've fallen through the bottom of the map multiple times).  With that said, they are still working on it and pushing out occasional updates as they go along, and you'll get many hours of it before you get to a point to where the performance becomes a real problem. 

The PC version is supposedly fine and doesn't have these issues.  

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

If Subnautica had multiplayer support I'd probably be playing it

I've seen that complaint about it before, and while I'm not personally a multiplayer guy myself, I can understand wanting it.  

But then again, I don't know exactly what you'd do with the multiplayer.  There's no real combat to speak of.  I guess you could team up to cut down on the time to gather resources by going to separate areas, but if you do that, you're essentially going to be on your own anyways.  And I don't think resource gathering is so tedious that you really need another person to help.  

Basebuilding with a multiple could be OK, but again, you can build a fairly complex base by yourself with much effort, so I don't feel another person really adds much.  

The developers have said they have no intention of adding multiplayer support because they feel it'd take away some aspects of the game, and I can totally see that.  The game's best moments are when you wonder into a dark and mysterious area, wondering what the hell is going to come out of the abyss, and I feel like that's best experienced while you're by yourself.  

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Watches some of the E3 stuff. I'll likely get the Assasians Creed game, but it sounds like most of the titles I love are coming out next year. 

High hopes for Fallout '76.   Multiplayer Fallout sounds awesome but I've played several other PvP survival games & it's very difficult to balance them in a way that doesn't lead to people ragequitting until the server is empty.  Rust for example can be a lot of fun but the combination of grind and full-loot PvP make for a very toxic community.  It can take a long time to find a decent server with good admins.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

High hopes for Fallout '76.   Multiplayer Fallout sounds awesome but I've played several other PvP survival games & it's very difficult to balance them in a way that doesn't lead to people ragequitting until the server is empty.  Rust for example can be a lot of fun but the combination of grind and full-loot PvP make for a very toxic community.  It can take a long time to find a decent server with good admins.

I tried to get into Fallout but couldn't. Last of Us 2 looks Amazing though. 

Downloaded Life is Strange from a few years ago, gameplay is ok and some of the dialogue is cheesy but the story it pretty good.

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I tried to get into Fallout but couldn't. Last of Us 2 looks Amazing though. 

Downloaded Life is Strange from a few years ago, gameplay is ok and some of the dialogue is cheesy but the story it pretty good.

I'm slowly working my way through Pillars of Eternity so I can play the sequel.  Great fantasy RPG, like a modern sequel to the Baldur's Gate series.  Beautiful scenery & extremely well-written.  I don't play many RPG's but this one is exceptional.  

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'm slowly working my way through Pillars of Eternity so I can play the sequel.  Great fantasy RPG, like a modern sequel to the Baldur's Gate series.  Beautiful scenery & extremely well-written.  I don't play many RPG's but this one is exceptional.  

I typically like to switch between games with a good story to something that is like an adventure puzzle games (think Tomb Raider) to mindless FPGs.

Archived