iPhone 6

JC

Anyone else excited for this?  Looks like they are announcing on the 9th and it will in all likelihood be on the street on the 19th, correct?

I'm a bit of an apple fanboi so to say, so I will be getting one, not to mention my 5 took a dive after water swallowed it and I've been using an 8 GB 4 for a couple of months *barf*.  I've never been in position to get one at launch.  Would you advise to go pre-order on the 9th after they announce to make sure I am able to receive one on the 19th or is it usually first come, first served on the 19th?

These things look pretty mean.  

Due or an upgrade in September so I gotta start looking into this. But i may wait ot hear more about the next galaxy itteration as well...they're usually about 6 months off right?

My iphone 5 (and my wife's since apple replaced the battery https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/) is still running like a champ though, so i dont really HAVE to upgrade. However, with plans like verizon you're pretty much wasting money every month if you dont upgrade when you're eligable since you're paying an inflated monthly rate to cover the cost of the phone. I think Sprint plans don't include a phone anymore, and are therefor a lot cheaper, but verizon is king in my area (NJ).

This whole "new phone every 2 years" thing is actually pretty stupid nowadays. Since phones are essentially computers at this point they should be treated as such. They should be purchased independant of service, be designed to last, and less focussed on marginal design updates and itterations every year. However, i dont think there's any incentive for anyone in the game to take that approach since the consumers are 1.) so hooked on the idea of updating so frequently, 2.) used to paying inflated monthly bills, and 3.) used to paying so little upfront for a smartphone.

I'm still sporting a 4s, so I'm excited about this as well.  Sprint keeps telling me that they have a 4G network here now, would be nice to have a phone capable of seeing whether or not they're lying about it.... :whistle:

HA! I'm still on my Galaxy S3 and God i hate Sprint's data network. My contract is up next month though.

I am curious what the differences between the 5S and 6 will be.  I have the 4S currently, but it seems these apps are so big, you don't have much room for memory.  I have around 250 songs on my phone, which doesn't seem like much to me.

I rarely use my phone for pictures, the quality sucks.  My Canon Powershot that is several years old is a lot better. 

Jamie, I think it is something with this area and Sprint.  I have heard that complaint for years.

I am curious what the differences between the 5S and 6 will be.  I have the 4S currently, but it seems these apps are so big, you don't have much room for memory.  I have around 250 songs on my phone, which doesn't seem like much to me.

I rarely use my phone for pictures, the quality sucks.  My Canon Powershot that is several years old is a lot better. 

Jamie, I think it is something with this area and Sprint.  I have heard that complaint for years.

It wasnt bad until everyone else decided to limit their data plans and Sprint was the only one still unlimited, essentially their customer base grew and have overloaded their network imo

HA! I'm still on my Galaxy S3 and God i hate Sprint's data network. My contract is up next month though.

most people dont need unlimited data, unless your one of those no real internet at home or wifi at work kind of people...

its like your a customer in front of me at work. "the pictures of this 1995 flip phone are crap" phone cameras will never rival camera pictures, never even close. just look at the lens size alone..

I've seen rumors that the 6 will come in 32GB and 64GB.  I had a 16GB 5 for awhile and had over 800 songs on it.  Not a lot of apps, though.

looking like 16gb, 64gb, and 128gb may be the memory options perhaps. i have heard the 32/64 rumor as well, but they like to have a low end option for cheaper customers who dont care about storage(who should) but who knows..  you should look into itunes match, it stores all of YOUR music, bootlegged or not, on a server streams to every apple device you own for $25/YEAR... best service ever.. i have a 16gb iphone, with 65GB of music at my fingertips.

It wasnt bad until everyone else decided to limit their data plans and Sprint was the only one still unlimited, essentially their customer base grew and have overloaded their network imo

not exactly.  whats been going on for the last year -18 months has been a network overhaul:

current sprint 1900mhz network was getting all equipment replaced from the base station to the anteannas to the fiber connection, etc. every.single.tower, for reference, there are 732 in colorado.

then, the nextel network that was shut down last june, the 800mhz, is being launched with voice, and data, then you tweak the 800 and 1900 so they arent causing oversaturation issues and build a solid grid.

then, that 2500mhz spectrum aquired in the clearwire aquisition is being launch with ONLY LTE on it, this is what gives Sprint the Spark ultra high speed network, this is about 5-10% deployed nationwide.

THEN:

lacing the 1900mhz, 800mhz and integrating the 2500mhz all with the 4GLTE service.

the S4 triband, s5, iphone 6, galaxy mega, LGG3, a few others are capable of the Spark service, with ONLY the 2500mhz at my shop we pulled speed tests of 30-40MB with about 40 phones connected to it... Spark will allow you to connect to two bands at once, so if you get 17mb on 1900 and 30 on 2500, your phone will pull 47MB data connection.

when will this be done? probably january or febuary. 

reps and ccare will tell you its done, this is due to ignorance and the way they are given information, not their fault at all, one system gives the status of network vision, which was technically the hardware upgrade stage of all of this, this is pretty much done nation wide. but very few markets are done with the LTE prtion, the 2500mhz spark part is the last and will cause one last "wtf is wrong with the network" bubble of about 60-90 days. that should be rolling in about December out here, so February is our finish time and we are pretty much last for everything (mountains suck for this kind of thing)...

Sprint actually owns more spectrum than any other carrier, its a matter of deploying all of it, which they are doing currently, thanks to that 30 billion dollars from the new Japanese overlords, Softbank. 

so to be honest, Sprints network is going to be sketch for another 5-6 months for you. but you also have an older phone...

i doubt you use more than a gig of data, so if you are willing to pay more, you can hit another carrier, if another 6 months of poopoo network is worth the savings, just wait it out.. and do yourself a favor and get an iphone.

the new LTE chip in the i6 will allow for Spark as well as it will be getting Wifi calling which is pretty rad.

just my 2 cents.

Sounds like your suggesting to hold off and stay with Sprint until the new Galaxy comes out so I get the upgrade in network and phone in a similar timeframe?

If you are willing to tough it out, yes. But it will get better, then worse again, then better again.

So your call.

Are you on a solo plan? Or a family plan?

Question for Go, or anyone else that has knowledge on the subject.  I'm trying to get one of these mothers the day it launches.  What is the best way of doing it?  Going to my local Verizon store on 9/9 and reserving?  Should I do it as soon as they announce or do you have to wait until the 10th?  Probably can't do it over the phone can you?

i would pick the most remote not busy store, and contact them about preordering.

alternatively, you can probably pre order from apple directly, and pick up in store..

both options will be a pain in the ass with the crowds, especially apple, but apple keeps more for themselves than they give to service providers.. i think they gave sprint 1.4 million units last launch, thats including all colors and all sizes...for the whole country and web sales.. i did some inventory checking and stores in ny/chicago/la, etc had a few hundred units, suburban stores like the one i was at, got like 22-30 units...

also, since the hardware is identical for every carrier, apple can actually flash them to another carrier if they run out... so if they run out of verizon and have 100 sprint left, they can flash the sprint firmware on it...

apple is kind of a dick in its business to business relationships, which allows them to be VERY consumer friendly.. they are raising the price for the carriers from$650 to $750 for the 6, so yes, each carrier is paying $750 per iphone 6... 

so if apple sells 10 million worldwide on launch weekend... thats...$7.5 Billion in revenue.... in a weekend...

ANYWAY, i got off topic... slow stores are you best bet, the bigger stores will get more, but most people think they are the best bet to get one, and the slower small stores end up not selling nearly as many..

i dont know what the reserve/pre order situation will be for any of the carriers.. youll probably get an announcement on the 9th..

if you want to line up at midnight at the apple store the night before you will get one for sure..

Awesome, thanks fella.  I don't live in to large of a town, so I may be safe just heading over there after the announcement and trying to pre-order one.  It won't be the end of the world if I have to wait, but this IPhone 4 isn't doing me any favors with the ladies....(not that my girlfriend helps..)

im jealous, employees arent allowed to buy them for MONTHS after launch...

Eff that noise.  You at least get a nice discount, right?

Could your wife purchase if you wanted to bad enough?  

most people dont need unlimited data, unless your one of those no real internet at home or wifi at work kind of people...

My wife recently had to upgrade her phone (LG G2), and we had to get rid of her unlimited data plan through Verizon. I'm surprised at how much data she uses, and she basically only uses her data for GPS (she does home healthcare). She's reached her max every month since she got the phone 3 months ago.

Obviously buying a dedicated GPS system will solve the issue, and that is the plan, but it still surprises me.

Eff that noise.  You at least get a nice discount, right?

Could your wife purchase if you wanted to bad enough?  

my phone plan is $0 for unlimited everything, and 25% off any extras (insurance, family locator, etc) my bill is $7.25/mo cause i have the insurance. my wife ha my family discount plan, so she is blocked from getting it as well, her bill is $40/mo for 550(free mobile to mobile, any mobile any carrier, etc) voice minutes and unlimited text and data, etc.. so its worth the wait, saving like $1,200/yr in phone bills... but it still sucks..

My wife recently had to upgrade her phone (LG G2), and we had to get rid of her unlimited data plan through Verizon. I'm surprised at how much data she uses, and she basically only uses her data for GPS (she does home healthcare). She's reached her max every month since she got the phone 3 months ago.

Obviously buying a dedicated GPS system will solve the issue, and that is the plan, but it still surprises me.

gps is a huge data hog, conatntly updating maps, downloading maps, etc.. its nuts..

I use it for GPS (waze so i can get the best traffic routes) and music (spotify) I have a feeling im using alot of data.

shit yea.. probably 5-10gb/mo

She had to upgrade from an LG G2? Hasn't that phone only been out since like last December/November?

my phone plan is $0 for unlimited everything, and 25% off any extras (insurance, family locator, etc) my bill is $7.25/mo cause i have the insurance. my wife ha my family discount plan, so she is blocked from getting it as well, her bill is $40/mo for 550(free mobile to mobile, any mobile any carrier, etc) voice minutes and unlimited text and data, etc.. so its worth the wait, saving like $1,200/yr in phone bills... but it still sucks..

gps is a huge data hog, conatntly updating maps, downloading maps, etc.. its nuts..

shit yea.. probably 5-10gb/mo

Doesn't sprint have an app or place on the website or on my Droid where I can determine usage?

Doesn't sprint have an app or place on the website or on my Droid where I can determine usage?

sprint zone may have it, some phone have it built in, and i think there is a number you can text to show you... with my unlimited everything i never really check...when i did i checked on sprint.com

I think I might be getting the 5.5" iPhone that's only if they have it if not then I'm not getting it cause I have the Note 3 and I love it. 

probably not being released this month, but likely in the near future... android would be much better if it were all like the Nexus series of devices. the allowance of carrier and manufactorer bloatware on device is a big part of the android problem.

the big benefit to iphone is that the hardware and software are designed together, and are made to work with eachother, instead of one company making software and another making interface changes and adding "built in apps"... and if im spending hundreds of dollars on a device, i want it to work to the best of its ability out of the box, i dont want to add some rom some dude made in some forums...

it would take a LOT for android to get my business back, i cannot imagine it happening...

Archived