iPhone 6

JC

My wife recently had to upgrade her phone (LG G2), and we had to get rid of her unlimited data plan through Verizon. I'm surprised at how much data she uses, and she basically only uses her data for GPS (she does home healthcare). She's reached her max every month since she got the phone 3 months ago.

Obviously buying a dedicated GPS system will solve the issue, and that is the plan, but it still surprises me.

it's too late now, but there have been ways around losing unlimited data if your willing to jump to some hoops.

I have AT&T and switched plans on Friday, 65 a month (single line) for unlimited talk/text and 2 GB of data.  

I was paying $104 and some change for 3 GB, unlimited mobile to mobile, 500 landline minutes, 5,000 night/weekend landline, unlimited text.  I had well over 3,000 rollover minutes.  

I don't use many things when I am not on wi-fi.  The battery life needs to really improve on the iPhone. 

I have AT&T and switched plans on Friday, 65 a month (single line) for unlimited talk/text and 2 GB of data.  
I was paying $104 and some change for 3 GB, unlimited mobile to mobile, 500 landline minutes, 5,000 night/weekend landline, unlimited text.  I had well over 3,000 rollover minutes.  

I don't use many things when I am not on wi-fi.  The battery life needs to really improve on the iPhone.

Ever since they went to IOS 7 my battery life for my iphone 5 has been shit.....

She had to upgrade from an LG G2? Hasn't that phone only been out since like last December/November?

Hell no, she upgraded to the G2. We are definitely not the type to go out and upgrade our phones like crazy. I was sporting a Droid 2 until February, when it gave up on living and I "upgraded" to a Droid 4. The wife had a Droid 4 up until a couple months ago.

not really. my iphone lasts me nearly 3 days. i got at least 100 emails a day, sync calanders, browse the web, take and send photos, and make calls..

if you ahve an iphone...

1. turn down your brightness, its probably at 100%, i keep mine at like the very lowest and have auto brightness on, works great, adjust great to my conditions, uses minial battery.

2. check your privacy - > location services settings, chances are ther are about 60 apps all with access to your gps, and probably 4-5+ using gps as we speak. turn off anything that isnt GPS necessary.

3. are you using exchange email? exchange email blows harry assholes, and sucks power like nothing i have ever seen. i switched to mail+ app for my exchange work mail, as it controls my mail syncing vs the exchange server pinging shit to my phone every 30 seconds... HUGE factor if you use exchange, also look into your other email settings, anything with push email on could be using half of your battery..if not more...

4. lastly, check your auto-lock time, if its more than 1 minute, may wanna turn it way down, phone will dim but stay on for up to forever just slightly dimmed out..

Ever since they went to IOS 7 my battery life for my iphone 5 has been shit.....

see above, as a os upgrade sometimes will change defaults back to battery sucking ways, but also there was a recall on the iphone 5 batteries for select units, apple will replace it free, google it and check with your serial number (found in your settings)

ios gets significantly more out of a significantly smaller batter than android (except nexus devices)... its not even close. I look at it all day long. and the hardware failure rates are embarrassingly far apart..

i think what i saw today was the galaxy s5 has a 33% larger battery than the iphone 5s and  lasts like 104 minutes less on average. 

lastly, if anyone wants me to run apple diagnostic on your phone to see if it has hardware, battery or app failures, i can, i do need info from you and it, i need the IMEI and an email address you have installed on the phone, i input the imei, it sends you an email, you verify test and i can pull the report. cool thing about ios, is that it runs a self diagnostic at all times, so its an instant report... very cool...

not really. my iphone lasts me nearly 3 days. i got at least 100 emails a day, sync calanders, browse the web, take and send photos, and make calls..

if you ahve an iphone...

1. turn down your brightness, its probably at 100%, i keep mine at like the very lowest and have auto brightness on, works great, adjust great to my conditions, uses minial battery.

2. check your privacy - > location services settings, chances are ther are about 60 apps all with access to your gps, and probably 4-5+ using gps as we speak. turn off anything that isnt GPS necessary.

3. are you using exchange email? exchange email blows harry assholes, and sucks power like nothing i have ever seen. i switched to mail+ app for my exchange work mail, as it controls my mail syncing vs the exchange server pinging shit to my phone every 30 seconds... HUGE factor if you use exchange, also look into your other email settings, anything with push email on could be using half of your battery..if not more...

4. lastly, check your auto-lock time, if its more than 1 minute, may wanna turn it way down, phone will dim but stay on for up to forever just slightly dimmed out..

see above, as a os upgrade sometimes will change defaults back to battery sucking ways, but also there was a recall on the iphone 5 batteries for select units, apple will replace it free, google it and check with your serial number (found in your settings)

ios gets significantly more out of a significantly smaller batter than android (except nexus devices)... its not even close. I look at it all day long. and the hardware failure rates are embarrassingly far apart..

i think what i saw today was the galaxy s5 has a 33% larger battery than the iphone 5s and  lasts like 104 minutes less on average. 

lastly, if anyone wants me to run apple diagnostic on your phone to see if it has hardware, battery or app failures, i can, i do need info from you and it, i need the IMEI and an email address you have installed on the phone, i input the imei, it sends you an email, you verify test and i can pull the report. cool thing about ios, is that it runs a self diagnostic at all times, so its an instant report... very cool...

Regarding e-mail, nope, I actually turned it off recently because I was paying $5 a month to get e-mail whenever I wanted.  I can get e-mail off wi-fi or in my case, gmail's app.

The GPS thing, I knew about that, and I turned off most of the location services.  

The brightness, I have been playing around with that, sometimes it helps, sometimes not.  

Auto-lock time, it is set to 1 minute.  

It seems the battery goes awful quick when you are trying to text someone or get a lot of texts.  I was at Richmond International Raceway over the weekend and was hardly using my phone and the battery went down pretty quick (10% used).  That surprised me. I charge my phone nightly. Sometimes, the charge will stop at 97%, I unplug it, plug it back in and it will go to 100%.  

Regarding e-mail, nope, I actually turned it off recently because I was paying $5 a month to get e-mail whenever I wanted.  I can get e-mail off wi-fi or in my case, gmail's app.

The GPS thing, I knew about that, and I turned off most of the location services.  

The brightness, I have been playing around with that, sometimes it helps, sometimes not.  

Auto-lock time, it is set to 1 minute.  

It seems the battery goes awful quick when you are trying to text someone or get a lot of texts.  I was at Richmond International Raceway over the weekend and was hardly using my phone and the battery went down pretty quick (10% used).  That surprised me. I charge my phone nightly. Sometimes, the charge will stop at 97%, I unplug it, plug it back in and it will go to 100%.  

Anywhere where you may have issues getting service. Like a stadium or huge crowd. It's going to use battery more to grab that signal. And if sms isn't sending that amplifies it.

Charging thing seems like maybe a bad battery slightly.

How much memory do you guys think that the 16GB will have on it out of package?  I had a 16GB 5 and was able to fit 900 some songs on it and apps.  I just am not sure I'm someone who needs a ton of space as I don't take a lot of pictures/videos.  

Is 64 gb enough space? I might go get the 6 plus

probably more than you have ever had on a phone before..

How much memory do you guys think that the 16GB will have on it out of package?  I had a 16GB 5 and was able to fit 900 some songs on it and apps.  I just am not sure I'm someone who needs a ton of space as I don't take a lot of pictures/videos.  

im going 64, with the 6, i dont want a huge phone, 5.5 is too big. 

i just use itunes match for music, that way i can have all of my 66 gigs of music on any device i have all the time to stream... without taking up the whole device memory. best $25/year ever spent

I don't have that many photos on my phone (mostly pics that are tied to contacts, which Apple used to have set up that a pic of the person calling would set up full screen, but that disappeared), and 200ish songs, yet have about 3 GB left of space.  Some of the apps are just plain too big.  

I will probably get the 6, the bigger screen isn't a big deal to me.  

keep in mind if you take a lot of high res video, that space will be taken up pretty quickly as well. Quite frankly, the one thing Apple continuously baffles me with is the refusal to allow a microSD expansion. i will not buy an Iphone until then. I realize I can utilize the iCloud to dump stuff from the internal memory without fear, but I want the ability to expand the memory if I want without buying a brand new phone. Apple makes a shit ton of money by forcing you to buy "their" memory options. Otherwise, their latest offering is very good and will probably get a lot of people to jump on board.

I do like my Ipad Air, but I am not yet jumping ship for my primary mobile device to be the Iphone.

However, I would like to say to those getting the Iphone 6: Welcome to the larger screen size. It will be eye opening for some how they could ever do without it.

I never take video.  That is what digital camera's are for. 

The you should be OK. I took a lot of HD video to a concert I went with my Phone and my internal memory was filled up in a heartbeat. Thankfully, I had a 64GB MicroSD I could store the video on. Granted, I also have a lot of stuff like games that take up memory on my phone. My music library right now is also over 8GBs as well, and I typically have a movie or two which can be in the multiple gig range on the phone for flights and/or long commutes. It all adds up. For sure, if you're getting the IPhone, I would always opt for the largest mem size in lieu of not having MicroSD expansion. But everyone has different needs. The easiest way to calculate what you need is to know the size of your music and vid libraries, and determine if you like having lots of high memory size apps on your phone.

the Apple Watch looks pretty damn cool too, i was mocking the idea of ever wanting such a thing.. and now i kind of want one....it shit all over the android watches...which i assumed it was going to be similar to.

the apple pay is something i would use for sure.. its value will be 100% based on the percentage of merchants who accept it. I hate carrying credit cards with me, would love to load my 10-12 cards onto it and not carry any... but then 100% of merchants would need to use it..

the Apple Watch looks pretty damn cool too, i was mocking the idea of ever wanting such a thing.. and now i kind of want one....it shit all over the android watches...which i assumed it was going to be similar to.

the apple pay is something i would use for sure.. its value will be 100% based on the percentage of merchants who accept it. I hate carrying credit cards with me, would love to load my 10-12 cards onto it and not carry any... but then 100% of merchants would need to use it..

Go, there is another solution coming which is going to eliminate you having to carry your cards around and all merchants will be able to accept it if they accept credit cards. I will be participating in the beta this year and it's release is early next year.

https://onlycoin.com/

Hell no, she upgraded to the G2. We are definitely not the type to go out and upgrade our phones like crazy. I was sporting a Droid 2 until February, when it gave up on living and I "upgraded" to a Droid 4. The wife had a Droid 4 up until a couple months ago.

Ah, misunderstood you. I just got a G2 a couple days ago as a "free" upgrade. I'm loving the thing. It's a great phone and I could care less about having something on the bleeding edge of technology. The battery life is amazing (for now at least), the phone is about as big as I'd ever want one to be (GTFO Note III phablets and your ilk!), the screen resolution and brightness are A-OK with me and I didn't have to change anything with my plan. Coming from a Razr-M, it's a huge step up for me even if the G2 is considered long in the tooth at this point even though the phone is now still a month shy of being a year old. I'm loving it. Hope your wife likes hers too. I think they're great.

Archived