My ISP Said They Were Doubling Their Internet Speeds

Elflocko

Looks like they weren't farting around.

This is from LV to LA:

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3731849244]3731849244.png[/URL]

And then LV to NYC

3731835254.png

The upload speed still blows goats, but 100+ Mb/s isn't too shabby.  I guess they had to do something drastic as CenturyLink is rolling out fiber here, though I'll most likely not see it in my neighborhood for quite some time... 

Looks like they weren't farting around.

This is from LV to LA:

3731849244.png

And then LV to NYC

3731835254.png

The upload speed still blows goats, but 100+ Mb/s isn't too shabby.  I guess they had to do something drastic as CenturyLink is rolling out fiber here, though I'll most likely not see it in my neighborhood for quite some time... 

funny how that shit gets the ball rolling huh???

good stuff though.

Out of curiosity, what are you guys doing that requires/benifits from high upload speeds?

Just a little background.  Fiber was installed through my area (free install to our house) and the basic package was only $50 a month for 70/70.  I couldn't pass up the installation (install was estimated at $1500).  I think there were even a few threats from a board member or two if I didn't jump on the deal. I don't know that I 'need' the speed.

I do know that when I had my DSL (20 down and 1.5 up) my internet would slow to a crawl whenever my phone was backing up to the cloud.  We mostly stream stuff off netflix/amazon (we don't have cable at all).  I signed up for the preseason deal with NFL.com and was able to catch the games I wanted to.  I really wish they had an option for regular season

My wife is also able to VPN into work when she needs to stay home with the kid.

How is that for dancing around your question?

Out of curiosity, what are you guys doing that requires/benifits from high upload speeds?

Upload speeds are valuable when your computer needs to put things somewhere else on the internet, such as an offsite backup.  For example, I backup my music, pictures, and movies to Backblaze so I have a copy in the event my house burned down.  With an upload speed of 12 Mb/s or so, backing up the many Gb of data I have takes days, or even weeks, as the software will throttle the backup so it doesn't affect my streaming or other assorted online shenanigans.  With upload speeds like Montana has, the software could backup that data in a matter of hours to a couple of days, depending on how I set the software parameters.

Another use (though the vast majority of folks would never do this) would be to allow someone else to access your connection and bandwidth.  Your upload speed is another person's download speed.  With faster speeds, I could be able to let someone in, oh, say Munich to connect to my system and stream videos not available in their country, or allow them to connect via VPN so that their DLNA devices could connect via with an American IP address and do the same. 

Make sense?

Just a little background.  Fiber was installed through my area (free install to our house) and the basic package was only $50 a month for 70/70.  I couldn't pass up the installation (install was estimated at $1500).  I think there were even a few threats from a board member or two if I didn't jump on the deal. I don't know that I 'need' the speed.

I do know that when I had my DSL (20 down and 1.5 up) my internet would slow to a crawl whenever my phone was backing up to the cloud.  We mostly stream stuff off netflix/amazon (we don't have cable at all).  I signed up for the preseason deal with NFL.com and was able to catch the games I wanted to.  I really wish they had an option for regular season

My wife is also able to VPN into work when she needs to stay home with the kid.

How is that for dancing around your question?

Upload speeds are valuable when your computer needs to put things somewhere else on the internet, such as an offsite backup.  For example, I backup my music, pictures, and movies to Backblaze so I have a copy in the event my house burned down.  With an upload speed of 12 Mb/s or so, backing up the many Gb of data I have takes days, or even weeks, as the software will throttle the backup so it doesn't affect my streaming or other assorted online shenanigans.  With upload speeds like Montana has, the software could backup that data in a matter of hours to a couple of days, depending on how I set the software parameters.

Another use (though the vast majority of folks would never do this) would be to allow someone else to access your connection and bandwidth.  Your upload speed is another person's download speed.  With faster speeds, I could be able to let someone in, oh, say Munich to connect to my system and stream videos not available in their country, or allow them to connect via VPN so that their DLNA devices could connect via with an American IP address and do the same. 

Make sense?

Thanks, makes sense

Archived