Ben vs Carson

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='BlacknGold' date='Sep 8 2005, 05:03 PM']The key to your passing yards is that Ben started 14 games, Carson beat him by 200 yards that equals 1 game.  Anything else?
[right][post="144600"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

this is like taking candy from a baby...

carson played 13 games... he got hurt for the last 3 games... next...

[url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396173"]click here[/url]

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 8 2005, 08:01 PM'] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

this is like taking candy from a baby...

carson played 13 games... he got hurt for the last 3 games... next...

[url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396173"]click here[/url]
[right][post="144656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Did not follow Palmer, I'll give him props for that. But he still will not out perform Ben.

[quote name='BlacknGold' date='Sep 9 2005, 01:19 AM']Did not follow Palmer    :pointlaff:

, I'll give him props for that.  But he still will not out perform Ben.
[right][post="144775"][/post][/right][/quote]
If you didn't know that Palmer didn't play the last three games, then you are a moronic steeler fan with blinders on. Any knowledgeable football fan knew that Palmer was out the last 3 games. My wife (who hates football, doesn't understand the game) knows that Palmer was out. Of course that could because of me bitchin and complainin about him getting hurt...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bengalrick

[url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396173"]carson palmer[/url]:

69 out of 97 (71.1%)
786 - yards
8.10 - ypa
8 - td's
2 - int's
7 - 20+ gains
2 - 40+ gains
114.00 rating

[url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493043"]ben roethlisberger[/url]

35 out of 60 (58.3%)
688 yards
8.88 ypa
6 td's
0 int's
10 - 20+ gains
6 - 40+ gains
131.8 rating

hell of a battle so far on the "who is better"... its becoming more and more obvious that both qb's are on the right teams (carson wouldn't be as good on steelers, and likewise w/ ben in cincy)... palmer is a better thrower, shouldn't be any question on that, but ben doesn't make mistakes on a team that thrives on steady play and great defense... i can't freakin' wait until these two teams play... hell, i can't wait to watch these 2 play against each other for the next 5-10 years, twice a year... :blush:

My non homeristic approach.

In terms of arm strength and accuracy I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure that Carson has Ben in both categories. Arm strength especially. Accuracy is a little more of a toss up, but I'd still give a slight edge to Carson.

Now when it comes to decision making, I think its safe to say that Ben has this with no problem. Carson makes bad decisions at times and it seems that he needs a little more time when it comes to on the field play.

Mobility has to go to Ben too. He doesn't run as much as he did at Miami, but I think it's safe to say that if he had to run, he could do it more effectively than Carson.

Leadership, I'm going to have to give the slight edge to Carson. Ben seems as though a lot of his success depends on the running game, and since the Steelers have proven this season, it doesn't matter who is running the ball because Bill Cowher's offense will get them yards. Much like it is in Denver. The defense also helped. Carson had no defense to bail him out, and a lot of wins had to come from himself. But a lot can be said for Ben leading the Steelers to a 15-1 record and Ben being undefeated in regular season until the NE loss last night.

And finally I'm going to go with Valuableness to his team. I think both Steelers and Bengals fans can say that without our respective QBs, there's no telling where the team would be. Would Cincinnati be 3-0? With the way our defense is playing I could say maybe. Would Pitt be 2-1? With the defense not losing a step and the running game still cranking out yards I can say yes. Not to say that whoever is backing up Ben (sorry to be not up to date on the Steelers depth chart) could throw as well and make as good of decisions, but your defense held Houston and Tennessee to 7 points. Willie Parker alone scored as many times as the two teams. Now if #2 QB was in and made bad decisions and ended up throwing 2 picks then theres no way of knowing.

In all honesty I do not like Ben's attitude when it comes to his sportsmanship. He has contempt for all teams and is kind of standoffish. But that's the way he wants to be. Carson doesn't say much, he'll complement teams and then beat them, and still end up saying they made mistakes and that's why we won. I can't say the same for Ben. (Not for sure though)

So Overall I would rather have Carson because he has upside. If he can cut down on the mistakes he will be a great QB. Ben is already showing that he can be great, but there seems to be a limit to his ability, like he's already reached it. He'll probably get better with his accuracy, but I doubt his Arm strength will ever exceed Carson's. If Ben was depended on more would he be as effective? There's really no way of knowing, because Pitts running game is so good, why does he have to be used as much. Not that that's his fault.

This is just an opinion and not laws of the land, Ben might turn out to be the better QB in time and I'll just have to live with that. But as for now, I'm happy with the way things turned out, hopefully this can be a great rivalry for years to come!!

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=4672"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=4672[/url]

from former Steeler Merill Hoge...

[i]“If Ben has to do it all, they can’t win. He’s not ready yet,” :pointlaff: he said. “Carson can. . .He’s one of the staples. This team isn’t going anywhere. It’s going to be around for awhile.” [/i]

:headbang:

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jul 25 2005, 01:09 AM']There is simply no way anyone in their right mind can possibly argue with this honest, truthful assessment.
Ben isn't a BAD QB....
BUT he was really never REQUIRED to win games with his arm.  And when he was, the Steelers lost, especially when it mattered most. You won't hear any argument from me that the Steelers aren't a very good TEAM. They are.  In fact, they are the reigning AFC North Champs.  I certainly don't think you'll repeat your record from last year, and if you do, you're insane.
Advantage, Carson, for sheer learning experience.
And as someone else posted before, apparently Ben is reading all of your press up there, living the life and sucking down pink drinks in floozy-ridden clubs while his Plaxico-inspired gangsta bling drapes all over his sorry ass...I am currently enjoying a fantasy where Ben gets busted for DUI in midseason.....And I honestly don't think that's a stretch, given what I can glean from his recent behavior....I think you guys have an attitude/potential Rosenhaus client type thing brewing over yonder.....
[right][post="118848"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Did you not catch the Jags game last year?

No running game, no defense. Ben goes 14/17 for 226 and 2 TDs, 0 picks (I believe a perfect QB rating) vs. a stout defense on the verge of the playoffs..... on the road..... on Monday Night..... not to mention the 2-minute drill, where he marched 80 yards w/ no timeouts for the game-winning FG.

Ben can win games on his own, I assure you. If you're going to knock every rookie QB that struggles vs. Belichick's D in the playoffs, then I don't know what to say.

[quote name='natifanatic' date='Sep 26 2005, 02:54 PM']In all honesty I do not like Ben's attitude when it comes to his sportsmanship. He has contempt for all teams and is kind of standoffish. But that's the way he wants to be.
[right][post="157892"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Huh? Where does that come from?

[quote name='Idioteque' date='Oct 8 2005, 01:33 PM']Huh? Where does that come from?
[right][post="164942"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[quote name='Big Head Ben']Re: The #7 jerseys everywhere
Ben Roethlisberger: It's great. Changing all the Browns and Bengals fans over. I hear that all the time. The less Browns and Bengals fans we get in the world, the better the world will be.[/quote]

I also heard a quote about the Patriots, that they can't hang with the Steelers as long as he is QB (something like that), don't have a quote though. He is in the league one year, has a good year, and suddenly he is the best thing to ever happen to the world? I know we are rivals, but that is getting a little excessive. He is not the greatest QB to ever play the game, and making comments like that, I get the feeling that maybe he thinks he is God's gift to football. I've even heard Steeler fans hinting to the fact that he is pretty full of himself.

Archived