New committee to study pace of game (MLB)

Go Skins

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/95850570/new-committee-to-study-pace-of-game

Commissioner Bud Selig has appointed a committee to examine the pace of the game. The members will look for ways to decrease the time of games and improve the overall pace of play beginning next season.

"We have the greatest game in the world, but we are always looking for ways to improve it," Selig said in a statement Monday. "The game is at its highest levels of popularity and we will continue to strive to identify ways that can build on its stature well into the future.

"With the cooperation of all appropriate parties, we can make progress on improving the pace of play, and we will have recommendations in the very near future for the 2015 season. I believe that this group has the experience and the perspective to be mindful of our game's traditions while being creative about our approach in the future."

Selig has already conducted a conference call with the committee, which will be chaired by Braves president John Schuerholz.

• 2 weeks later...

Prevent batters from leaving the batter's box once they have entered for their at bat.  That should shave half an hour off the game right there....

I like some of the things I've heard and think they'll help:

batter can only leave the box once per at bat

allow managers to automatically call for intentional walks rather than requiring 4 pitches.

limit pitchers to 20 seconds between pitches (I'd even go 15)

I like some of the things I've heard and think they'll help:

batter can only leave the box once per at bat

allow managers to automatically call for intentional walks rather than requiring 4 pitches.

limit pitchers to 20 seconds between pitches (I'd even go 15)

The intentional walk thing, well, this is an example of why that rule won't change:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24742788/video-wild-pitch-on-intentional-walk-leads-to-nats-giants-controversy

Archived