Simple Question

Guest Diamond Dave

Guest Diamond Dave
If Ben Roethlisberger was nothing special last year and he was carried by the running game and defense...

Do any of you want to step up and say that Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch would have won 15 in a row?

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Jul 25 2005, 02:24 PM'][b]Ben is an average QB at best[/b], Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch are about as shitty as you can get.
[right][post="119023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

none of you have yet posted anything to prove this assertion.....

I think Ben has the tools to be a good QB. I think he will be the best QB from the 2004 draft. And he had a hell of a year, especially for a rookie QB. But he was placed in very near to an ideal situation. Pittsburgh had a great defense, very good o-line, good running game, and 3 good receivers. He was rarely asked to win games with his arm, but performed well anyway.

However, when he was asked to win with his arm - the AFC Championship game - he didn't do quite as well. I do think Carson will be the better QB, but I think Ben will be a good one.

[quote name='Jason' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:13 PM']I think Ben has the tools to be a good QB.  I think he will be the best QB from the 2004 draft.  And he had a hell of a year, especially for a rookie QB.  But he was placed in very near to an ideal situation.  Pittsburgh had a great defense, very good o-line, good running game, and 3 good receivers.  He was rarely asked to win games with his arm, but performed well anyway.

However, when he was asked to win with his arm - the AFC Championship game - he didn't do quite as well.  I do think Carson will be the better QB, but I think Ben will be a good one.
[right][post="119112"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Only time will tell.....

I think pamer could be good....but Ben's experience from the playoff run even though it ended badly puts him ahead of palmer in my opinion....as an overall qb...not just a passing qb....

[quote name='CoolieMan' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:17 PM']Only time will tell.....

I think pamer could be good....but Ben's experience from the playoff run even though it ended badly puts him ahead of palmer in my opinion....as an overall qb...not just a passing qb....
[right][post="119120"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'll give you that. I would have loved for Palmer to have made the playoffs and learn from it last season. However, in the first five games of the season, he experienced losing, and learned not to give up and to strive foward. He then turned the team around and led them to an 8-8 finish.

Ben has yet to experience losing really. Whether you like it or not, things aren't going to go as smoothly this season. If the Steelers start off with an 0-2 start or a 1-3 start, I would be interested to see how Ben handles the pressure. All great players go through a losing point before they achieve greatness. I want to see how Ben handles that.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:22 PM']I'll give you that. I would have loved for Palmer to have made the playoffs and learn from it last season. However, in the first five games of the season, he experienced losing, and learned not to give up and to strive foward. He then turned the team around and led them to an 8-8 finish.

Ben has yet to experience losing really. Whether you like it or not, things aren't going to go as smoothly this season. If the Steelers start off with an 0-2 start or a 1-3 start, I would be interested to see how Ben handles the pressure. All great players go through a losing point before they achieve greatness.  I want to see how Ben handles that.
[right][post="119122"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

wait a minute....you mean you don't think the Steelers will be 15-1 again this year.....damn.....

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:26 PM']Yeah and neither does your QB.
[right][post="119127"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

no one does....that was just an amazing run last year....10-12 wins is more realistic and baring injuries is hopefully attainable....

Of course his career will encounter some rough spots and the way he handles the pressure will tell a lot about him....EVERY QB hears boos at some point in Pittsburgh...he will need to handle it maturely and carry on......

[quote name='CoolieMan' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:30 PM']no one does....that was just an amazing run last year....10-12 wins is more realistic and baring injuries is hopefully attainable....

Of course his career will encounter some rough spots and the way he handles the pressure will tell a lot about him....EVERY QB hears boos at some point in Pittsburgh...he will need to handle it maturely and carry on......
[right][post="119130"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Best and most realistic post you have had thus far.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:55 PM']They said we are going to finish 16-0, right?
[right][post="119139"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

no, but who said the Steelers would? both sides in these discussions make arguements that are biased toward their teams....that is just human nature....the sad part for bengals fans is that their team rarely lives up to their high expectations....

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:55 PM']They said we are going to finish 16-0, right?
[right][post="119139"][/post][/right][/quote]

[quote name='CoolieMan' date='Jul 25 2005, 05:02 PM']no
[right][post="119143"][/post][/right][/quote]

I guess they weren't being realistic then. :P

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Jason' date='Jul 25 2005, 03:13 PM']I think Ben has the tools to be a good QB.  I think he will be the best QB from the 2004 draft.  And he had a hell of a year, especially for a rookie QB.  But he was placed in very near to an ideal situation.  Pittsburgh had a great defense, very good o-line, good running game, and 3 good receivers.  He was rarely asked to win games with his arm, but performed well anyway.

However, when he was asked to win with his arm - the AFC Championship game - he didn't do quite as well.  I do think Carson will be the better QB, but I think Ben will be a good one.
[right][post="119112"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well what the hell has changed, did I miss something? and before you say it Plax averaged 3 receptions a game, nothing special.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='BlacknGold' date='Sep 8 2005, 11:30 AM']Well what the hell has changed, did I miss something? and before you say it Plax averaged 3 receptions a game, nothing special.
[right][post="144386"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

minus staley, bettis is a year older and is already about 5 years over the hill...

you guys depend on the running game, and your running game is in shambles... if you feel nice about your third string rb stepping up and able to carry ben and the offense, then i can't wait to see...

[quote name='BlacknGold' date='Sep 8 2005, 12:30 PM']Well what the hell has changed, did I miss something? and before you say it Plax averaged 3 receptions a game, nothing special.
[right][post="144386"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Plax averaged 3 catches for 65 yards a game. He only played in 11 games last year, if he would have played a full 16, he would have been damn close to being a 1000 yard reciever. He averaged almost 20 yards per catch (19.9), lead your team in TD catches (5), and was the only deep threat you had in 2004. [b]AND[/b], he was Ben's favorite reciever.

Nothing special?

[quote name='Diamond Dave' date='Jul 25 2005, 02:17 PM']If Ben Roethlisberger was nothing special last year and he was carried by the running game and defense...

Do any of you want to step up and say that Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch would have won 15 in a row?
[right][post="119022"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You're right! Because the style of offense would have been different. They would have taken more chances at throwing the football, thus resulting in Maddux or Batch throwing more interceptions, when Ben would have been told to hand the ball off in the same situation.

[quote name='mschutte369' date='Sep 8 2005, 01:12 PM']You're right! Because the style of offense would have been different.  They would have taken more chances at throwing the football, thus resulting in Maddux or Batch throwing more interceptions, when Ben would have been told to hand the ball off in the same situation.
[right][post="144444"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

If you payed attention I'm pretty sure the Steelers threw alot more passes last year than they have in the past, soo next.

[quote name='BlacknGold' date='Sep 8 2005, 06:07 PM']If you payed attention I'm pretty sure the Steelers threw alot more passes last year than they have in the past, soo next.
[right][post="144601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Hey BnG, pay attention:

From NFL.com:
Rothlesomething - 295
Maddox ----------- 60
total --------------- 355 attempts

Maddox ----------- 519 attempts

Maddox ------------ 377
Stewart ------------ 166
total ---------------- 543 attempts

Stewart ------------ 442 attempts

So, uh, no. I'm pretty sure they didn't.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='Sep 8 2005, 07:03 PM']Hey BnG, pay attention:

From NFL.com:
Rothlesomething - 295
        Maddox -----------  60
        total --------------- 355 attempts

Maddox -----------  519 attempts

Maddox ------------ 377
        Stewart ------------ 166
        total ---------------- 543 attempts

Stewart ------------ 442 attempts
So, uh, no.  I'm pretty sure they didn't.
[right][post="144632"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Alright you got me there, good research, well I guess the 15-1 record showed the mistakes we were making back then, thak you for pointing that out.

Archived