Mike Nugent and Brandon Tate

I'm tired of watching other teams' kickers blast kickoffs out of the endzone and regularly making 50+ field goals.  Nugent can't seem to get it done anymore, and at age 32, is unlikely to get any better.  I hope like hell the Bengals bring in some kickers for tryouts this week because Nugent just isn't cutting it.

Does Brandon Tate have incriminating photos of Mike Brown?  Honestly, how does this idiot still have a job?  He's practically worthless as a receiver and CONTINUALLY runs the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs--EVEN IF IT'S 8 YARDS DEEP!!!  It makes it very hard to score when you start your drives from the 10 - 15 yard line because this moron thinks he can take every kickoff to the house.

The Nugent comments we can discuss, Tate comes out of the endzone because he is told to.

How do you know this ? I've heard this before. And I find it hard to believe they tell him to come out 8 yards deep in the end zone on a high kick off.
Or when "return right " is called but the kick is in the left end zone. No way is anyone running horizontal all the way across the field and making good yardage.

I'm tired of watching other teams' kickers blast kickoffs out of the endzone and regularly making 50+ field goals.  Nugent can't seem to get it done anymore, and at age 32, is unlikely to get any better.  I hope like hell the Bengals bring in some kickers for tryouts this week because Nugent just isn't cutting it.

Does Brandon Tate have incriminating photos of Mike Brown?  Honestly, how does this idiot still have a job?  He's practically worthless as a receiver and CONTINUALLY runs the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs--EVEN IF IT'S 8 YARDS DEEP!!!  It makes it very hard to score when you start your drives from the 10 - 15 yard line because this moron thinks he can take every kickoff to the house.

It is OK to have a kicker who misses on long FG, but it isjust totally substandard to have a kicker in today's game who comes up short on a FG less than 55 yds.   This is going to bite us in the ass before the season is over.

Tate's selling point was that he doesn't muff or fumble kick returns,  now that he has proven that as a false premise, I am all for relieving him of his place on this team, also.

Brandon Tate defends return decisions, not third-quarter fumble

By Coley Harvey | October 6, 2014 8:00:09 AM PDT
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Brandon Tate has had better nights than he did Sunday.

So give the Cincinnati Bengals kick returner credit. When asked to comment about his role in the Bengals' 43-17 loss at Gillette Stadium, he accepted some blame.

Tate
The former Patriot was bugged by his third-quarter fumble and its subsequent touchdown return that came just 11 seconds after another New England score. The touchdown that resulted from his turnover effectively sealed the game, putting momentum fully into the Patriots' hands.

"It's just one of those things, it just came out," Tate said of the fumble. "I just have to hold onto the ball."

Tate's fumble came with 6:00 remaining in the third quarter. Just like he had been doing all night, Tate brought the kick return out from deep in his own end zone. As he approached the 10-yard line, he was hit and lost his grip on the ball. It squirted free and in a spot where Kyle Arrington could pick it up for the Patriots and return it. Jumping and leaping awkwardly into the side of the end zone, he had traveled nine yards for the score.

"Man, my eyes got huge," Arrington said. "As soon as that ball came out, I put it in second gear. I saw a couple guys try to dive on it and it squirted even further, I guess closer to me. We do turnover tackle drills at the beginning of practice every day as far as scooping and scoring and things of that nature, so it just came second [nature]. I tried to put some style points toward the end of it."

On five of Tate's seven kick returns, he came out of the end zone. According to him, special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons gave him the OK to continue bringing the ball out of the end zone.

"If I can catch the ball in the front without backing up, Coach said I can take it," Tate said. "I just have to hold onto the ball if I am going to take that chance."

Tate had seven returns for 141 yards, giving him an average of 20.1 yards per return. His longest return was 31 yards.

It is OK to have a kicker who misses on long FG, but it isjust totally substandard to have a kicker in today's game who comes up short on a FG less than 55 yds.   This is going to bite us in the ass before the season is over.

Tate's selling point was that he doesn't muff or fumble kick returns,  now that he has proven that as a false premise, I am all for relieving him of his place on this team, also.

Would have made no difference to this game. Guys sometime miss 50+ yarders.

I don't get it either.     Kneel the ball.    Tate isn't a dynamic return guy.    Why does he have the green light?

Pac Man,  I completely understand.   He doesn't fair catch and sometimes it gets to be a nail biter but he can change games so you live with it.

Tate needs to under Kewian Ratliff orders.    Secure the ball and not hurt us because in the end he's only going to put in a dynamic return once in a blue moon and there are enough negative plays to not make it worth it, IMO.

On the missed the FG and this is completely hindsight is 20/20 but....  Huber and teams have doing a good job of pinning teams in bad field position.

A punt might have been a better alternative,  although Nuge barely missed it.  

Near mid field position was a killer after the miss.

He only needed about two more feet; how much effect do YOU think kicking into an 8 mph wind would hav

I don't know what the formula is for calculating wind resistance affecting a football in flight and how many feet an 8 mile per hour wind will cost the kicker. That's something Amish can figure out for us. For whatever reason, Nugent is not the kicker he used to be. His accuracy is down and leg strength too.

Archived