The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Patriots

LANCE MCALISTER

Bengals: On to Carolina
Final: Patriots 43 Bengals 17 Boxscore
Stripped of the benefit of the doubt?

FOXBORO, MA - OCTOBER 05: Darrelle Revis #24 of the New England Patriots strips the ball from A.J. Green #18 of the Cincinnati Bengals during the third quarter at Gillette Stadium on October 5, 2014 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

Opening observations
*Anyone else have a bad feeling on very 1st play? Brady's play action bought him all day and he found Brandon Lafell for 20 yards.
*You can say whatever you want about the game...but if "embarrassing" isn't part of it, you've missed the big picture.
*Big players once again failed to make big plays in a big game.
*The Bengals will have to carry this baggage all the way until at least the playoffs.
*Do the Bengals know about shrinkage?
*Rocky and I wondered last week about the Bengals responding to a big deficit/adversity. Know we know.
*Marvin and players may not like the primetime/playoff narrative, but it's reality, until they change it.
*Just think if Marvin and coaches only had a week to prepare for this one.
*Look at the bright side. Can you imagine if the bye was now, and we had this one to discuss for 2 weeks?
*Bengals entered as only NFL team that hadn't given up more than 16 points in a game...allowing just 33 for year.
*Last and only Sunday night road win for Bengals remains 1992: Bears at Soldier Field.
*Bengals 2-8 in primetime/playoff games with Andy/AJ....1-11 primetime/road under Marvin.
*Nobody wants to hear this, but reality is Bengals now get a chance to do just what Patriots did after Monday night, respond this week.
*Plays: Patriots 82 Bengals 48.
*Lost turnover battle 3-0.
*Patriots 12 penalties, 114 yards?
*Vegas says: Bengals open as a 6.5 point home favorite vs Carolina.
*Bengals 18-62 when trailing at half under Marvin.
*"AJ Green has a problem, like Andy, the bigger the game, the less he steps up,"--Lap
*A game that felt like a blowout early, was 20-10, then the Patriots scored 23 of next 30.

Offense
*0-7 on 3rd down.
*Failed to score on opening drive for 1st time.
*Gresham dropped TD, settled for FG.
*Dalton can't throw sideline route to AJ out of bounds/got to give him a shot.
*AJ fumble.
*For as creative as Hue is, the 3 straight runs from 1st and 10 on Patriots 13, was like watching paint dry.
*Sanu dropped a beauty from Andy/later, nice pass and catch 37-yard TD.
*1st sack of Dalton came on 3 man rush ...143 row w/o.
*Dalton: 15 of 24 for 204 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 117.4 rating.
*Bengals TE: 2 catches, 15 yards, TD drop.
*Jeremy Hill: 2 carries, 1 yard.

Defense
*505 yards allowed?
*220 yards rushing on 46 carries (4.8)?
*Patriots TE's: 11 catches/16 targets, 185 yards, 2 TD.
*Lord help them if they don't get Burfict back this week.
*Bengals D had been dictating in first 3 games, they appeared slow in reacting.
*Seems confused, late getting plays in and set up.
*10 plays, 80 yards, TD opening drive....8 rushing plays
*6 plays, 59 yards, 2:30, TD, 14-0, following Nugent FG miss
*Had allowed just 3 points in 1st half this season/trailing 48-seconds all year
*Lamur had INT bounce off pads
*Big Lamur PBU 3rd and 3 end half....forced FG....17-3.
*Big FG hold after AJ fumble, 20-3.
*Allowed 19 on 3rd and 16

Special Teams
*Nugent missed from 52-yards
*Bengals average drive start on 9 kickoffs: 19 yard line
*No idea why Tate ran KO from end zone with 1:15 left in half. Stopped at 9.
*Adam Jones 47-yard PR
*Tate fumbled, running it out 8 yards deep, TD Patriots.
*Tate ran one side ways....sideline to sideline
*All that was left for Tate is a feet first slide into the 20 yard line on a KR, like Kijana Carter once did.

What they are saying about the Bengals:

Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com: The Bengals came in to Sunday nights game at Gillette Stadium looking for a pass-the-torch win in the AFC, but got burned on a night nothing went right as the Walking Dead Patriots bounced back to take a 43-17 win.

Richard Skinner, Enquirer: While Sunday night's 43-17 loss to the New England Patriots doesn't count any more than just one loss for the Bengals it did sting a little more than usual for the players, because it came in prime time, where they haven't exactly been successful over the years.

Coley Harvey, ESPN: A sizable chunk of their 500 yards came when the Bengals quick-snapped the Bengals. "They were just on the ball. We didn't have our calls in. We were still looking at the sideline trying to get a call in and they had their hands on the ball already, snapping before we were even ready," Bengals defensive tackle Domata Peko said.

Paul Dehner Jr, Enquirer: Stereotypes are true until disproven. The Bengals inability to play well on the road in the primetime spotlight stands as solid as ever.

Kevin Goheen, Fox Sports Ohio: Now, it's the Bengals' turn to hear from everyone and their grandmother. Cincinnati's media mass isn't the same size and density of Boston, so maybe there won't be as many grandmothers around this week, but the questions will still linger until Sunday at 1 p.m. when next kickoff comes against Carolina. How does the Bengals' world continue after such a resounding first defeat of the season? After another embarrassing performance in front of a national audience?

Pete King, MMQB: 6. Cincinnati (3-1). No Bengals jokes this morning, just this bit of reality Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson and Paul Guenther (the coordinators) must pass on to the players this week: We went to New England, a desperate team. We never matched their aggressiveness. We never fought them. We let them dictate to us. Championship teams dont do that, and thats why were not a championship team right now.

Josh Katzowitz, CBS Sports: This one wasn't on Dalton, but unfortunately for him, the loss goes on his record.

USA Today: The Cincinnati Bengals, who typically don't appear overmatched until January, became the final team to lose Sunday night after getting picked apart by Brady's New England Patriots.

John Breech, CBS Sports: Grade: D
Andy Dalton made some bad throws against the Patriots, but Dalton wasn't the Bengals biggest problem on Sunday night, that honor goes to the defense. The Patriots totaled 505 yards against the Bengals, marking the first time since Week 2 in 2007 that a team put up over 500 yards of offense against them.

Fox 19 post game from Jeremy Rauch:

Andy Dalton

Tell me this didn't cross your mind

Patriots join Still's fight
ESPN
During a timeout in the third quarter of the Bengals' road game against New England, Patriots cheerleaders donned Still's black and orange Bengals jersey as a music video featuring the defensive tackle's 4-year-old daughter, Leah, played on the stadium's video board. "It was very emotional," Still said. "Every time I see a video like that and get a reminder of what my daughter is going through and what those other kids are going through, it's definitely hard to fight back the tears."

FOXBORO, MA - OCTOBER 05: Jermaine Gresham #84 of the Cincinnati Bengals drops a pass as Jamie Collins #91 of the New England Patriots defends during the second quarter at Gillette Stadium on October 5, 2014 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty

Gresham and Tate are the usual suspects. That's what is frustrating. Maulaluga was terrible too as usual. The same people have been doing the same crap for 3 years. I cannot wait to get Tez and Eifert back.

As well as Zietler & MJ. Wish they would play pollack and Z at guards

As well as Zietler & MJ. Wish they would play pollack and Z at guards

Gresham and Tate are the usual suspects. That's what is frustrating. Maulaluga was terrible too as usual. The same people have been doing the same crap for 3 years. I cannot wait to get Tez and Eifert back.

Well, its easy to pick out Gresh and Tate since their mistakes are so obvious.  On the other hand, its easy forget that our defensive line was manhandled just like in the San Diego game last night as well as our linebackers giving up huge easy running plays. 

I do remember Ridley making a simple move on Pacman  that cost us a 25 yard run.

Ugly - I think everyone believed the hype and the edge that i saw week 1-3 wasn't there. #1 in power polls. Experts saying how Bengals are a better team and roster...butt kicked from top to bottom

Good - this is a timely loss and hopefully reignites a fire in this team.

Super ugly - #84

For me it's a frustrating reminder of not putting our best foot forward on the big stage.   Whether it be playoffs or primetime.

Now, I will not pretend I wouldn't be frustrated with a "well played" loss either.   But this is two fold.   1st the loss,   But then just getting blown out makes it worse.

14-0 out of the gate.   20-3 at half,   this on top of the last Sunday Night appearance of getting the shit kicked out of them in Pittsburgh and being down 27-7 at half.

Two weeks of build up since beating the Titans and hopes of it being different and last night wasn't even a game. 

Another UGLY:    Brady and Eldeman playing "you spike it, no you spike it,  you spike it, no you spike it, ok I spike it, hugs and kisses for everyone"   makes me want to puke.

What makes me puke is how we just can't cover a seam throw to a TE, why is that such a mystery or do we not have the personnel year after year?

What makes me puke is how we just can't cover a seam throw to a TE, why is that such a mystery or do we not have the personnel year after year?

We didn't try to cover. We played zone & left the middle wide open. Gronk just strolled down the middle all alone with no one around.

I wonder how much of that was due to Burfict being out and how much of it would have happened even if he played.

His injury led to Maualuga playing twice as many snaps (and looking terrible in coverage as usual).

It also forced Lamur to be the guy wearing the headset and getting everybody lined up which maybe took him off his game a little bit (something did). 

I also think the Patriots hurry up offense led to a lot of confusion on D. That's pretty inexcusable and on the coaching staff who should have had them prepared for that.

I wonder how much of that was due to Burfict being out and how much of it would have happened even if he played.

His injury led to Maualuga playing twice as many snaps (and looking terrible in coverage as usual).

It also forced Lamur to be the guy wearing the headset and getting everybody lined up which maybe took him off his game a little bit (something did). 

I also think the Patriots hurry up offense led to a lot of confusion on D. That's pretty inexcusable and on the coaching staff who should have had them prepared for that.

Not trying to say the guy is a beast but i think he is a young, learning backer with alot of promise. I definitely think no Burfict, going against a team with two dynamic TE's and an accurate, confident QB really showed his inexperience. He was doing a lot of thinking and very little instinctual reacting last night. I think he will come around and be solid for us.

I have wondered this for years myself,I said in another topic we have never been able to cover a tight end in the Marvin Lewis era I just don't get it?

I have wondered this for years myself,I said in another topic we have never been able to cover a tight end in the Marvin Lewis era I just don't get it?

And as a counterpoint, we also can't seem to have a stud at TE on offense do much of anything either, and we've now drafted two in the first round...

This is true, I feel eifert could be a game changer but gresham is putrid

Eifert was supposed to be "that guy" along with Gresham, but he hasn't managed to stay healthy yet. Jury's still out on him. I remember a guy named Chase Coffman too, that was an excellent receiver but a poor blocker and they tried to turn him into Reggie Kelly...why can't we get a receiving TE to work for this team? We're supposed to have an excellent offensive line, so why can other teams afford the luxury of less than excellent blocking TE's that can also catch the shit out of the ball AND are a HUGE part of their offensive gameplan? Where is that for the Bengals?

If there is a player that does the least with the most opportunity both play to play and game to game..he is it. his blunders are always at the worst times and his inability to seize the moment is uncanny.

I actually still have faith in Gresham, though it's fading. The guy has all the physical tools, and is actually an excellent blocker. He has mental and ball security issues. On the few occasions when we've seen him get pissed and in "beast mode" he's practically unstoppable. We need to have the coaches tell him Gatorade is better than water or something. Dude needs a fire lit under his ass constantly.

I think that is what is so frustrating. I do agree his blocking and overall development as a TE has been good. It is just baffling to me though. Either the staff has lost faith in him as an offensive weapon or Andy has blinders on him. He just seems to be more and more insignificant as an outlet the games go on. the Bengals have historically not been a big TE team in the passing game regardless of the OC. I just thought with Hue's emphasis with Eifert that with him going down Gresh would slide right in and it has not happened at all or even close. I think seeing a team, any team be able to feature the TE over the middle and in chain moving plays and we struggle so much with a talent like Gresh makes it even more exasperating.

and I just don't see how someone (Marvin Lewis) who was a linebacker and a linebacker coach for so many years can have such a shitty linebacker crew

Totally agree here. That is how he made a name for himself. And our DC is a linebackers coach by trade! C'mon Marvin and Guenther!! Get it together!

Archived