Mike Nugent's miss ought to make Bengals ask an uncomfortable question

It really doesn't get much worse at this point. If we sign a guy who misses kicks, it's the same as having Nugent. I want the Bengals to fire him to send a message to the rest of the team and to show the fans that they're at least trying to hold players accountable.

The damn guy is 11/17 for the season. Had his chances and failed. Time to move on

I understand that, but to act like the sole reason why the Bengals didn't win yesterday is because of Nugent isn't accurate, imo. Giving up 37 points to an bad offensive football team is the problem, not Mike Nugent. 

No pressure from the dline, inability to cover WR's down field by the secondary without getting a penalty, and the not being able to get off the field on 3rd downs are huge problems. 

For those who want Nugent gone, who are you going to replace him with???  I'm not defending him, just asking a serious question, who's available? 

It seems Detroit has had quite an issue trying to find a kicker this year, they're on their 3rd or 4th now?, so it may not be as easy as it sounds.

Exactly, it's not like there are Pro Bowl kickers sitting around waiting on a phone call right now. Everyone that is available has warts.

He shanked it.   Right after the game he admitted he got over excited.

Now,  I'm fine with cutting him or rolling with him but either way that was an epic miss.   What do you expect the reaction to be? 

Definitely an epic miss, no question about it. However I think more people would be worrying about the defense and their sudden inability to stop anyone and giving up an average of 40 points in the last two games. When you are playing defense like that who do you really expect to beat??

Nugent obviously isn't the only problem. No kicker is solely responsible for wins or losses. However, he sucks at his job. I'd rather watch a new guy suck than watch Nugent suck. Let's get a dude who can at least kick some touchbacks.

It really doesn't get much worse at this point. If we sign a guy who misses kicks, it's the same as having Nugent. I want the Bengals to fire him to send a message to the rest of the team and to show the fans that they're at least trying to hold players accountable.

So why not cut Newman, he had some costly penalties that could easily be used as the reason why we didn't win yesterday. 

I am sure the Bengals could bring in me as a kicker and I could hit 11/17 lol.. My last time kicking was in high school, years ago.

Ok I know I would not be any good. That was a joke, but there are many kickers out there that can hit 11/17 that aren't on any teams..

I DONT want them bringing in someone with a weak leg sho can't hit at least a 50yd FG. Get a strong leg..

Not sure if we should cut Nuge or not---he is not having a good year.  Is Matt Prater (cut from Denver) still available.  Maybe we bring in some guys for tryouts.

Sucks we lost and I am disappointed to Nuge, but at least he took the blame in the end.  Adam Jones called him out and sounded like a real sh#tty teammate at the end of the game.  The A Jones interviewed is being played on the radio constantly in Columbus right now.

I agree with some of the other posts in that our defense worries me more than Nuge.  We have given up 80 pts in 2 weeks.  That is awful!  No way we go far this year if our D is not fixed.  We are not getting pressure with our front four or with blitzing.  I think Paul G is a smart guy, but Zim seemed to have these guys more disciplined.  I see guys yelling at each other, missing assignments and crap tackling.

Hopefully we did not peak the first 3 weeks of the season :)

Detroit picked up Matt Prater - and he missed 2/3 FGs for them.

I think it's time for Nuge to go, but I just don't know that anybody we can sign right now would actually be any better. Quinn Sharp will be way better on kickoffs sure, but is he worth a shit as a PK? David Akers and Jay Feely are both out there, and ancient, and probably a wash versus Nuge at this point. 

I'm not sure why people are defending Nugent. He's just going to lose us more games. At this point, I'd rather just start going for it on 4th down in the redzone. He can't be trusted to kick anything.

You are over-reacting, he won the first game of the season for us by going 5-5, including a 49 & 46 yard fg. He's going thru a tough patch and obviously everyone is upset over the outcome but cutting him is not the answer. 

Jones probably shouldn't have said this, but you know most of the team is thinking it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/cincinnati-bengals-cornerback-jones-mike-131840757.html

I think that just like when the time came that Graham had to go, the time has come for Nugent. I feel for him, but that's the nature of being a kicker in the NFL. If they give him another chance I won't be too pissed, just seems obvious what should be done.

Detroit picked up Matt Prater - and he missed 2/3 FGs for them.

I think it's time for Nuge to go, but I just don't know that anybody we can sign right now would actually be any better. Quinn Sharp will be way better on kickoffs sure, but is he worth a shit as a PK? David Akers and Jay Feely are both out there, and ancient, and probably a wash versus Nuge at this point. 

The last time we needed to pick up a kicker mid-season, it worked out quite well. 

Sharp

I was talking about Marvin, but what makes you think Sharp is so much better? Quinn hasn't been signed by any other NFL team than the Bengals and was signed by a CFL team for 1 week before being cut. Why would you cut a proven guy that has won games for you this year that is struggling for a guy who has never kicked in a NFL regular season game?

Definitely an epic miss, no question about it. However I think more people would be worrying about the defense and their sudden inability to stop anyone and giving up an average of 40 points in the last two games. When you are playing defense like that who do you really expect to beat??

They are catching heat as well as Nuge should be.     

Here is the problem with Kickers. If they miss a game winning FG then it is over for them. Reason is because it gets in their head and once that happens their is no returning from that. He is always going to have that pressure now and won't play loosely. He is going to cost us more games IMO and I think if Marvin is smart he would cut him and bring in someone else right now. 

Shayne Graham, currently a part of the New Orleans Saints, says hi.

Just for the record Pacman is the dumbest guy on the team and it's not even close.

He should shut is mouth and worry about stopping someone, if the defense he played for wouldn't have given up 37 points then it would have a been a non-issue. 

Adam Jones allowed 6 catches for 34 yards yesterday.  He did pretty good IMO.  That's just over 5 yards a catch.

Then returned a kick 90 something yards to get us back in the game.  He's just echoing Marvin's quote.  Do your job!

Just for the record Pacman is the dumbest guy on the team and it's not even close.

He should shut is mouth and worry about stopping someone, if the defense he played for wouldn't have given up 37 points then it would have a been a non-issue. 

I don't disagree at all.  Dude should have a media gag.

But, we were put in position to win the ball game.  Whether we gave up 37 or 300,000, we needed 3 points to win and Mike choked hard on an easy attempt.

He's not worth any contract he signs I'll tell you that. But kudos to him for getting paid.

Why not? He is the 8th best kicker percentage wise all-time at 85.5% (Nuge is 42nd at 79.9%), he currently sits at over 87% on the season (Nuge is at 64.7%) & he hasn't missed a FG under 40 yards this season (Nuge has twice)....all numbers better than what we have kicking for us now. He's earning his money more than Nuge is.

Archived