Is the offense better without A.J. Green?

Hear me out...

It seems to me that Andy is spreading the ball around more and going to the guys who can catch and run rather than forcing it to AJ when he is covered...

This has nothing to do with AJ, but maybe it will open Hue's and Andy's eyes and there will be more for everyone....

I by no means am saying sit AJ, but maybe they are learning a lesson for when he is ready to play.

They all force a lot of shit to AJ and try to make him play every role a WR can play, when although he's great, he's not an every single role type of WR. He's a possession type of guy overall with his size and quick acceleration. We need to work on setting more picks and shit and option routes for him and play to his strengths AND weaknesses.

No.   

Panthers played a bias defense yesterday.   Most of the time they had a deep safety and then 1 in the box.     I'm calling it a single high look.   I'm guessing it was used 90% of the time.

It didn't matter yesterday because we went up and down on the field with them but you can't expect to have that every week with different/better defenses.

Another thing is you can't expect Gio to produce at this rate over 16 games.    The Bengals are riding that hot hand now but he's now starting to get knicked.

We need Defense,  AJ, Hill, and Gresh to start shouldering the load off  Dalton, Sanu and Gio.       You are getting to the point of bias defenses coming at them and riding them too hard.

11 straight weeks.      We are going to be big play threats from AJ as well as his production.

No.   

Panthers played a bias defense yesterday.   Most of the time they had a deep safety and then 1 in the box.     I'm calling it a single high look.   I'm guessing it was used 90% of the time.

It didn't matter yesterday because we went up and down on the field with them but you can't expect to have that every week with different/better defenses.

Another thing is you can't expect Gio to produce at this rate over 16 games.    The Bengals are riding that hot hand now but he's now starting to get knicked.

We need Defense,  AJ, Hill, and Gresh to start shouldering the load off  Dalton, Sanu and Gio.       You are getting to the point of bias defenses coming at them and riding them too hard.

11 straight weeks.      We are going to be big play threats from AJ as well as his production.

I am not saying we don't need AJ... I am saying... Maybe hoping they are learning that the offense is more dangerous when they spread it around and don't force it into coverage to AJ

good god...

the panthers defense is terrible, they have consistently given up a buttload of points, 37, 38, 24, and 37 points in the last four games...

this team doesnt make the playoffs without AJ green... ever.. the panthers not only suck on defense the past month, but they also played against an offense they basically had no film on, even gresham didnt have many catches this year so far, nothing on tate, sanu as a #1, and nothing on wright....

and AJ green is the one who catches those passes that are WAY off, like the two icks andy threw, you know, one of which that led to 7 points for the other team... the team we tied with instead of beating...

I am not saying we don't need AJ... I am saying... Maybe hoping they are learning that the offense is more dangerous when they spread it around and don't force it into coverage to AJ

I'm just saying be careful.   The Panthers D a week prior to the Bengals got shredded by Forte and Jefferies on underneath stuff.   

The defense the Panthers played was biased to make that underneath more difficult but they were daring the Bengals to go over the top to the side they put the safety down in the box.    

It's a false assumption that you'll play a Panthers D that struggles as badly on underneath stuff every week.  That's were they spread the ball.

I also think you better start a pitch count for Gio before too long.      I also don't think spreading the ball around has been a problem this season. 

good god...

the panthers defense is terrible, they have consistently given up a buttload of points, 37, 38, 24, and 37 points in the last four games...

this team doesnt make the playoffs without AJ green... ever.. the panthers not only suck on defense the past month, but they also played against an offense they basically had no film on, even gresham didnt have many catches this year so far, nothing on tate, sanu as a #1, and nothing on wright....

and AJ green is the one who catches those passes that are WAY off, like the two icks andy threw, you know, one of which that led to 7 points for the other team... the team we tied with instead of beating...

Pick #1, Dalton's elbow was hit while throwing. Pick #2, Gresham read the defense wrong.

I'm just saying be careful.   The Panthers D a week prior to the Bengals got shredded by Forte and Jefferies on underneath stuff.   

The defense the Panthers played was biased to make that underneath more difficult but they were daring the Bengals to go over the top to the side they put the safety down in the box.    

It's a false assumption that you'll play a Panthers D that struggles as badly on underneath stuff every week.  That's were they spread the ball.

I also think you better start a pitch count for Gio before too long.      I also don't think spreading the ball around has been a problem this season. 

Exactly.

Can't understand why we keep force feeding him runs between the tackles.

We have Burkman, and Hill for those runs, and truth be told Hill is a better runner between the tackles

That hit he took near the sidelines from the safety that was built like a LB was brutal.

Gio is not that type of runner. In addition, the o-line is not getting any push up the middle.

Our strength is our tackles.

More screens and dump off passes would be nice.

Pick #1, Dalton's elbow was hit while throwing. Pick #2, Gresham read the defense wrong.

yep.  There's a nice breakdown by some folks (who aren't overly fond of Dalton) on twitter about #2 and Gresham reading the coverage wrong, though I still think Dalton should have dumped it to Gio.  Against a cover 2, Gresham was supposed to extend vertically, not cut in. It was an option route, and Dalton and Gresham simply read it differently.

Dalton has played really solid this year. Anyone acting like he's the reason the team is struggling lately obviously just hates him. Sorry guys, Andy is not Peyton Manning but he's not terrible either. The defense needs to figure out a way to step up even with injuries. The offense has its injuries too.

Mo played X receiver yesterday which is no different than what he's been playing all year.  Tate was our Z.  Dalton was phenomenal.  Read through his progressions all game.  Kept us in the game by taking what he was given.

No way this team is better without AJ though.  Carolina has had a pretty shoddy pass defense this year.  They put us in some bad D&D as we weren't very successful running the ball on first down.  Andy did good things, especially on third down.  His pump n' run was awesome.  He did everything he needed to do yesterday.  Brought us down the field to win the game at the end.

Dalton has played really solid this year. Anyone acting like he's the reason the team is struggling lately obviously just hates him. Sorry guys, Andy is not Peyton Manning but he's not terrible either. The defense needs to figure out a way to step up even with injuries. The offense has its injuries too.

this..

37 points should always be a win... no excuses 

1. No.
2. The "silver lining" in this is that (out of necessity) Andy and the complementary pieces are getting real reps together. Hopefully, this comes in handy once the team is full strength.
3. If I was Hue, Gresham and option-route would NEVER be in the same sentence. Keep those in the back pocket for the ND grad.

Gresh was wide open a few plays before  in the same area.    I'm guessing they went back to it and the defense adjusted with a bad throw/decision/read if they read it at all. 

First Int,  that ball could have been delivered a few seconds before.   I mean none of us have to deal with the pass rush seating in our seats but alot of us saw them come open before the throw.   

But in no way am I blaming Andy.   Those are missed plays that happen in the course of football games.  

I don't think Dalton has ever thrown an Int that he can be blamed for.

Always somebody to doing something.

Lol. Andy overthrows a ball over the middle and it's Gresham's fault. Not much you can do but admire their consistency at spinning things to fit their narrative.

This makes me laugh because I thought Andy had a strong performance yesterday except for the two picks. He spread the ball well and did a much better job on 3rd down. He put the team in position to win in OT twice and his kicker and defense couldn't get the job done. The picks were costly of course and let Carolina take control in the 2nd half. Newton's pick nearly cost his team the game as well. It's hard to lose the turnover battle and expect to win. Marvin has only won around 20% of the time when the Bengals commit more turnovers than their opponent.

Lol. Andy overthrows a ball over the middle and it's Gresham's fault. Not much you can do but admire their consistency at spinning things to fit their narrative.

This makes me laugh because I thought Andy had a strong performance yesterday except for the two picks. He spread the ball well and did a much better job on 3rd down. He put the team in position to win in OT twice and his kicker and defense couldn't get the job done. The picks were costly of course and let Carolina take control in the 2nd half. Newton's pick nearly cost his team the game as well. It's hard to lose the turnover battle and expect to win. Marvin has only won around 20% of the time when the Bengals commit more turnovers than their opponent.

It wasn't an overthrown ball. Gresham was running an option route. Dalton read the coverage correctly and put the ball where it was supposed to be. Gresham broke off his route because he read the coverage of the linebackers wrong, he should have taken his route deep between the safeties. It's not about narrative or spin, it's about what actually happened.

I am not going to knock you for this thread because I think you have a valid point. Andy is spreading the ball big time and Mohamed Sanu is fucking Shining. When AJ is back and Marvin Jones I honestly can't think of ANY team that has 3 WR as good as ours without being a Homer. 

It wasn't an overthrown ball. Gresham was running an option route. Dalton read the coverage correctly and put the ball where it was supposed to be. Gresham broke off his route because he read the coverage of the linebackers wrong, he should have taken his route deep between the safeties. It's not about narrative or spin, it's about what actually happened.

Yes, the throw sailed on Andy. It was high and would not have been caught even if he and Gresh were on same page. It was overthrown, plain and simple.

Pick #1 Ill give you. Pick #2 Andy threw it too high.

That said he wasn't the problem yesterday. The D who had every starter on the field for most of the game and only missing Thompson in reserves was the problem. We are blitzing way too much imo. Im cool with more than Zimmer was doing but they need to do it less.

Archived