HBO to offer a stand alone streaming service in 2015

Go Skins

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/15/hbo-to-offer-a-stand-alone-hbo-streaming-service-in-2015/314900/?utm_campaign=WP%20%3E%20Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

“So, in 2015, we will launch a stand-alone, over-the-top, HBO service in the United States. We will work with our current partners.  And, we will explore models with new partners.  All in, there are 80 million homes that do not have HBO and we will use all means at our disposal to go after them.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/15/hbo-online-streaming-service/

HBO is finally cutting the cord: The premium cable network announced Wednesday it plans to offer an online-only streaming service starting next year.

The big move puts HBO on track to more directly compete with Netflix and will give viewers a method of accessing all current HBO programming without a cable subscription.

HBO chairman and CEO Richard Plepler made the announcement while addressing an investor meeting for parent company Time Warner. The executive first presented HBO’s domestic returns, then noted there are 10 million broadband-only homes—a number that’s expected to increase.

“That is a large and growing opportunity that should no longer be left untapped,” Plepler said. “It is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO. So, in 2015, we will launch a stand-alone, over-the-top, HBO service in the United States. We will work with our current partners. And, we will explore models with new partners. All in, there are 80 million homes that do not have HBO and we will use all means at our disposal to go after them.”

It's about time, and more cable networks are going to follow suit.  The days of paying hundreds of dollars per month for 400+ channels of crap when you watch maybe 6 are finally coming to a close...

Yep,

I just wonder how it will work in regards to hooking up to your house. Take me for instance. I dont want to have to buy more things. I have 1 solid pretty good tv, flat screen, 50 inch etc. we watch netflix on it and anything that is much better in HD, ie football great movies. etc. The other 3 tvs in house are just hooked up to standard cable. I am trying to not be a consumer. I don't need a new TV every few years. My TV in my bedroom is tiny, it's 16 years old and works fine. What I fear is that this is just going to push more people to buy more things. Am I really saving money if I have to replace all my tvs to use it?

Yep,

I just wonder how it will work in regards to hooking up to your house. Take me for instance. I dont want to have to buy more things. I have 1 solid pretty good tv, flat screen, 50 inch etc. we watch netflix on it and anything that is much better in HD, ie football great movies. etc. The other 3 tvs in house are just hooked up to standard cable. I am trying to not be a consumer. I don't need a new TV every few years. My TV in my bedroom is tiny, it's 16 years old and works fine. What I fear is that this is just going to push more people to buy more things. Am I really saving money if I have to replace all my tvs to use it?

How do you expect it to broadcast on your TVs? Roku, Apple TV, etc., will almost certainly be required to watch the HBO streaming service.

How do you expect it to broadcast on your TVs? Roku, Apple TV, etc., will almost certainly be required to watch the HBO streaming service.

That's pretty much my question. I have only seen those things work with very new TVs. Do they run the gamut? I don't want to have to buy a new TV that I can connect directly to the internet for every room. Right now they are connected to cable boxes and work fine.

That's pretty much my question. I have only seen those things work with very new TVs. Do they run the gamut? I don't want to have to buy a new TV that I can connect directly to the internet for every room. Right now they are connected to cable boxes and work fine.

:huh:

I've got my ROKU hooked up to a 10 year old Sharp Aquos, and before that it was connected to an 11 year old Panasonic rear projection LCD that pre-dated HDMI.

If your TV's are older than that, you really should be looking to upgrade... :mellow:

:huh:

I've got my ROKU hooked up to a 10 year old Sharp Aquos, and before that it was connected to an 11 year old Panasonic rear projection LCD that pre-dated HDMI.

If your TV's are older than that, you really should be looking to upgrade... :mellow:

Why? TVs shouldn't be disposable? If it still works why am I getting rid of it? I realize I sound like a really old man here, but my money can be better spent in other areas.

It sounds like while this may seem like it's saving you money, it might not really be saving you all that much if you have to get other equipment to use it.

Why? TVs shouldn't be disposable? If it still works why am I getting rid of it? I realize I sound like a really old man here, but my money can be better spent in other areas.

It sounds like while this may seem like it's saving you money, it might not really be saving you all that much if you have to get other equipment to use it.

Uh, that last part was mostly tongue-in-cheek, as I have an 11 year old TV (remembered we got in in 2003), and 1 TV only.  We've discussed replacing it, but decided against doing so as it still works.

As for saving money, the ROKU cost $100, and our monthly cable bill went down over $100 per month when we cut the cable down to basic.  We would have gone with an OTA antenna but have the not so insignificant issue of a giant mountain sitting between us and the OTA signals.

We've saved over $6,000 in that time... 

Figure out what kind of inputs your TV has (composite, component, HDMI, DVI, SVideo, ?), and pick a media box that has matching outputs.

It's about time, and more cable networks are going to follow suit.  The days of paying hundreds of dollars per month for 400+ channels of crap when you watch maybe 6 are finally coming to a close... 

Now if only the NFL would get on board so I can dump this overpriced DirectTV

Cool, all good info peeps. I think we are very close to scrapping TV all together and just going with HBO, but I do like NFL network.

I cannot tell you the last time I watched live TV other than football.

That is my rationale, live sports.  I love college basketball and soccer, and with NBC, FOX and CBS have their own networks to compete with ESPN, you never know what channel your game is on.  

Yeah, 3/4ths of my TVs are tube tvs.

hmm

well.... i dont think most of this stuff brodcasts in SD anyway.. so youd have a hard time all around...

additionally..

32" LCD are $170... thats $15/mo to save up for a year.. you could probably find $15/mo on the ground...

more power to you on the frugalness, i can appreciate some good money saving.. but 95% of the world is broadcast for LCD/LED/Plasma televisions.. you could upgrade a tv or two..

the best part is i went from having a big tall tv stand in my room to a 1.2" thick tb hanging on the wall.. opened up the place..

i assume your sole, non-tube tv, is the main one.. so you are good there with any/all of these devices..

hell your tube tv's use so much power your electric bill might go down $15/mo...

I have a 32" flatscreen and there are a few USB ports built in.  I have a Sony blu-ray player that has Netflix, Amazon Instant Prime, Hulu Plus, MLB TV, as well as other apps that are built it.  

I had a tube TV, and then got a TV stand when I got the 32" TV, yes, it does bring out a lot of space in my living room. 

hmm

well.... i dont think most of this stuff brodcasts in SD anyway.. so youd have a hard time all around...

additionally..

32" LCD are $170... thats $15/mo to save up for a year.. you could probably find $15/mo on the ground...

more power to you on the frugalness, i can appreciate some good money saving.. but 95% of the world is broadcast for LCD/LED/Plasma televisions.. you could upgrade a tv or two..

the best part is i went from having a big tall tv stand in my room to a 1.2" thick tb hanging on the wall.. opened up the place..

i assume your sole, non-tube tv, is the main one.. so you are good there with any/all of these devices..hell your tube tv's use so much power your electric bill might go down $15/mo...

Yeah I just have verse and we watch in in standard In one room and he in the other

Archived