Vincent Jackson??

Please enlighten me...if you inherit a contract, does that effect the current cap year? And, if so, if that contract puts you over the current cap, do you still need to adjust to stay under it?

I ask, because a partial-year rental if it doesn't affect the cap, would be no big deal.

Interestingly enough, I just saw the report on Jackson as being one of three names that could be traded before the deadline.  The other 2?

CJ Spiller and Jermaine Gresham

I hate to see them give up on him cause I'm sure it's just mental, but for his own good a change of scenery may be best for him.

AJ is signed through next year. Why not? Let Jackson go after next year. The Bengals will not be signing AJ anytime. The guy will be worth a ton on the open market and he knows that. Absolutely no reason for him to sign early. 

Good teams go for it when close. This team is close. 

I had my baseball cap (guaranteed salaries) on and wasn't thinking we could just cut him without owing him anything else. Ok, so even then what do you give up for a 1/2 year to 1 1/2 year rental?

I don't think the offense is the issue this year. I'd rather somehow get some stud linebackers with that money.

AJ is signed through next year. Why not? Let Jackson go after next year. The Bengals will not be signing AJ anytime. The guy will be worth a ton on the open market and he knows that. Absolutely no reason for him to sign early. 

Good teams go for it when close. This team is close. 

Not worth it even if the Bengals would trade... which they won't... "trade" and "Bengals" are rarely used in the same sentence unless its us getting a draft choice or comp pick for some scrum or screw a team in California to take a malcontent hold out quarterback.  Specifically, the Bengals are rarely the ones trading much of value for anything.

Also... we get him and then what?

He is so far behind with our playbook and chemistry/timing with our quarterback and offense that

he is virtually useless for the rest of the season... not worth it for the money we would have to play.

I would rather have Ocho or even FedEx Simpson for a few weeks.

Trade Gresham now that he's the most productive pass catcher in the offense?

I guess while his stock is up and their is no plan to sign him long term, yeah, this would probably be the best time to do so if you want something in return.   

I just hope Eifert is actually good and can stay healthy. 

Please enlighten me...if you inherit a contract, does that effect the current cap year? And, if so, if that contract puts you over the current cap, do you still need to adjust to stay under it?

I ask, because a partial-year rental if it doesn't affect the cap, would be no big deal.

You would be on the hook for what you had to pay him.    All the gauranteed money would go with Tampa.       You would need to adjust to keep under but his future earnings in the contract would not effect the cap if you got rid of him after this season.

Not worth it even if the Bengals would trade... which they won't... "trade" and "Bengals" are rarely used in the same sentence unless its us getting a draft choice or comp pick for some scrum or screw a team in California to take a malcontent hold out quarterback.  Specifically, the Bengals are rarely the ones trading much of value for anything.

Also... we get him and then what?

He is so far behind with our playbook and chemistry/timing with our quarterback and offense that

he is virtually useless for the rest of the season... not worth it for the money we would have to play.

I would rather have Ocho or even FedEx Simpson for a few weeks.

I doubt it happens but he'd be a good get for this team. 

Archived