Peko: 'We'll be all right'

I simply can't believe that 2 300+lb men beat only one 300+lb man. 

He's the nose tackle. He gets paid to eat those blocks and at least hold his own. That very very rarely happens. Stop making excuses for him. That is his job. He is less than adequate at it

I can't believe you don't. Peko is very clearly double teamed by the center and right guard.

A bigger issue is why the linebackers weren't playing closer to the line on a very obvious QB sneak situation.

The run fits in the front 7 have simply been awful this season.

This is true.     The LB comes over late and is late getting to the hole.   

Peko is doubled from Center/Right guard.   The RG will try to peel off and get a second level block but it thrown off balance and hits the ground.     The LB had a clear shot to make the play but just late.

Peko not a great job, but he is there to eat blockers and prevent free runs up to the second level of the defense.   Any thinking he should be a tackling machine doesn't know what the deal is with his position.

He's the nose tackle. He gets paid to eat those blocks and at least hold his own. That very very rarely happens. Stop making excuses for him. That is his job. He is less than adequate at it

LB had the shot to make the play.    Eating blockers isn't a pretty job.   Actually that's what it looks like alot of the time.

An outstanding play would have been Peko not getting his shoulders turned in that situation.    A truly poor play would have been the RG getting up on the LB.

When you watch the coaches film.   Vinny Rey is all the way over the LG and shifts late to the play side (RG) and is seconds late with tackle.      Now Luck probably has the freedom to choose which side and QB sneaks in short yardage are highly successful to begin with.

If Vinny would have been lined up.  Luck could've tap the center and gone the other way, maybe.

at some point in time to be a winning team they're going to have to be a player in free agency,I'm not saying they have to spend the most money on the biggest name but we're going to have to get somebody other than rookies every year to replace some people,and I don't mean aged vets that other teams don't want anymore

I was thinking that when I was watching football on Sunday. Good teams pick up good FA LBs, Safeties, TEs, linemen... We think rookies and developmental players will always pan out. I agree we don't need to get superstars in FA, but you can't tell me a lot of the recent years FA LBs couldn't have helped, or even some of the DTs... All of the really good teams sign good players from other teams (and generally the bad teams signed the huge dollar FAs)... The bengals need to realize they have a window to be very good/great and cut out the fucking high round project players and start drafting players that contribute now- and augmenting that with good veterans at a few positions to ensure the highest level of talent on the team.

I was thinking that when I was watching football on Sunday. Good teams pick up good FA LBs, Safeties, TEs, linemen... We think rookies and developmental players will always pan out. I agree we don't need to get superstars in FA, but you can't tell me a lot of the recent years FA LBs couldn't have helped, or even some of the DTs... All of the really good teams sign good players from other teams (and generally the bad teams signed the huge dollar FAs)... The bengals need to realize they have a window to be very good/great and cut out the fucking high round project players and start drafting players that contribute now- and augmenting that with good veterans at a few positions to ensure the highest level of talent on the team.

It's probably the biggest critism of the management of the team.     This past offseason they lost MJ, Hawkins, and Collins.

They saved the cap room to extend contracts for players that were already under contract (Burfict, Dalton, and hopefully Green).   The year before they got Atkins and Dunlap.

I'm not here to tell anyone one way is better than the other.    But..... Atkins extended and isn't the Atkins you extended.  Burfict and Green aren't on the field.   Dalton turning in his best season.

So that's really the issue, IMO.    You thnk if Atkins, Burfict, and Green are putting up seasons like we expected would there be so much scrunity on not picking up vet FAs?  

We didn't go for Free Agents to sign 3 legit All-Pros that are barely having a journeyman impact so far this season.  (Keeping in mind the Green deal hasn't happened yet but they are saving the cap room to do so).  

I'd guess that conversation would get revisited after the result of the playoffs were known. 

That's just a terrible job of lining up, ...i mean seriously it was Hunt vs 2-3 O line man.....

They seriously need to hurry up and figure out wtf they're doing in terms of lining up their D line men it's terrible....

Also I'm sorry, but Still keeps getting free passes, he needs to get his ass in shape next season, no excuses.

That's just a terrible job of lining up, ...i mean seriously it was Hunt vs 2-3 O line man.....

They seriously need to hurry up and figure out wtf they're doing in terms of lining up their D line men it's terrible....

Also I'm sorry, but Still keeps getting free passes, he needs to get his ass in shape next season, no excuses.

What do you expect? Still made the team as a publicity stunt.

Peko is average, Atkins is average now and Still should be on the PS or cut if it weren't for the PR move on the part of the Browns. They could have done the same for Still by having him on the PS. He isn't worth holding a spot for even though he is a second rounder. This is the NFL not Goodwill. Hunt is a project drafted in the second round to replace an all-pro in MJ, enough with the projects please. In early rounds. 1 - 3 should be impact players not projects. Only Gilberry and Dunlap are above average players. LBs are average when Burfict is playing, big fall off when he isn't. Add to that losing an average LB in Maualuga and a big fall off there. Vinny Rey isn't even average as is Lamur. Guess why we can't cover the TE even with our starting LBs. Kirkpatrick is a bust and maybe Williams as well. Early round picks that haven't lived up to their draft positions. Makes you wonder about Dennard when he can't see the field ahead of Newman and Hall, long in the tooth and their best years behind them. Our DL covered up our short comings in the safeties last year but can't this year. Jones is amazing and needs to be a ST impact player and get rid of Tate or just use other than as a return man. Sanzenbacher isn't better than Whalen and Gresham is well Gresham. Talent that never will pan out considering where he was drafted. The big surprise to me is the play of the OL last Sunday. Everybody there and they fall flat. Boling and Bodine are average but everybody else is above, or at least they had been. Usually a good pass blocking group but not good in the run blocking, or at least not yet. Add it all up and then consider how we really have drafted the last three years as compared to the Ravens who is the real threat in the AFCN. Their early draft picks see the field right away and they don't stay with mediocre, Nugent vs Cundiff, Hauschka,Stover and now Tucker. Formula for where we are right now. The amazing depth we were supposed to have isn't so amazing is it?

Peko is average, Atkins is average now and Still should be on the PS or cut if it weren't for the PR move on the part of the Browns. They could have done the same for Still by having him on the PS. He isn't worth holding a spot for even though he is a second rounder. This is the NFL not Goodwill. Hunt is a project drafted in the second round to replace an all-pro in MJ, enough with the projects please. In early rounds. 1 - 3 should be impact players not projects. Only Gilberry and Dunlap are above average players. LBs are average when Burfict is playing, big fall off when he isn't. Add to that losing an average LB in Maualuga and a big fall off there. Vinny Rey isn't even average as is Lamur. Guess why we can't cover the TE even with our starting LBs. Kirkpatrick is a bust and maybe Williams as well. Early round picks that haven't lived up to their draft positions. Makes you wonder about Dennard when he can't see the field ahead of Newman and Hall, long in the tooth and their best years behind them. Our DL covered up our short comings in the safeties last year but can't this year. Jones is amazing and needs to be a ST impact player and get rid of Tate or just use other than as a return man. Sanzenbacher isn't better than Whalen and Gresham is well Gresham. Talent that never will pan out considering where he was drafted. The big surprise to me is the play of the OL last Sunday. Everybody there and they fall flat. Boling and Bodine are average but everybody else is above, or at least they had been. Usually a good pass blocking group but not good in the run blocking, or at least not yet. Add it all up and then consider how we really have drafted the last three years as compared to the Ravens who is the real threat in the AFCN. Their early draft picks see the field right away and they don't stay with mediocre, Nugent vs Cundiff, Hauschka,Stover and now Tucker. Formula for where we are right now. The amazing depth we were supposed to have isn't so amazing is it?

I think depth is proving out.     Like you said this is the NFL. 

Take away the expected impact of the snaps and replace with what they've gotten and I'm not sure your talking about a team that could be in first with a win come Sunday if the depth wasn't good.

We go to the eye in the sky! Disclaimer I've never coached NFL feetsball at all

Photo below: the te has motioned to the right side, lb adjusting but not fully as evident by big hole before ball snapped

Tricky colts with extra tackle creating the automatic alinement hole.

:[attachment=1514:image.jpg]

Photo below = double team

[attachment=1515:image.jpg]

I guess the important take away  from this in regards to Peko's play.   He eats blockers (in this case 2).   Gets whooped but in the process affords the the LB a clean shot to make a play but most likely all effort is wasted anyway because the hole was already there through alinement.     What the correct adjustment should have been I'll leave up for debate.

There are going to be times a blocker eater is going to look bad.  Nature of the game.     Atkins got his ass blocked off earlier in the year on a sneak via double team.   Happens.    

Archived