Mike Pereira: Sorry Ravens fans, the Steve Smith OPI was correctly called

I think it was a good call. Smith blatantly throws him to the ground and the official threw the flag immediately. Trent Green and Bart Scott both commented that Iloka "flopped" but it seems more like sour grapes to me. Yes, it wiped out a huge play that would have won the game. That is a penalty according to the rulebook and the official made the call. Plenty of shit doesn't get called throughout the game and there is no rule to "let 'em play" at the end of a game. Tough break but it was not some crazy injustice.

In this day and age when you can't even breathe on a wide receiver in coverage, I think it's only fair that any contact the other way should also be called when the receiver tries to gain an unfair advantage by pushing off or pulling down the Defender. Hence, to me, this is the only correct call, no matter how "severe" the contact really is.

giphy_zps36081432.gif

Ohhhhh... thank you so much for posting that.

The local talking heads on the radio call in shows are

saying it was a phantom call and drama by Iloka.

Well... yeah, some drama, but you can see the Raven bitch

pushed him in the chest.

So many calls against the Bengals earlier in the game...

nice they got one right.

Iloka was in perfect position, he's a good 5 inches taller than Steve, there was no way he was coming down with that ball.

7 actually (6'4" to 5'9") which is the point I was going to make if it wasn't already on here. It would make absolutely no sense to deliberately flop in a situation (basically a jump ball) where he had such a big advantage. It was a very subtle shove (Smith's been around the bend in this league, he's not going to be blatant about it), but it definitely was there.

Looked like a lebron move by Iloka a little bit, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get the refs to notice that shit

A lot of the analysts are calling it a flop. If the ref was on top of the play, it shouldn't matter if he falls or not. Anybody that doesn't think that it was a good call is a hater. Even Mike Carey, who has had a perpetual boner for screwing us over, agrees. Rodney Harrison, who would rather have a full cavity search than take sides with the bengals, said it was clear as day.

Mike and Mike were adamantly hating the call. Plug in the Jets for the Bengals and see what would've happened.

A lot of the analysts are calling it a flop. If the ref was on top of the play, it shouldn't matter if he falls or not. Anybody that doesn't think that it was a good call is a hater. Even Mike Carey, who has had a perpetual boner for screwing us over, agrees. Rodney Harrison, who would rather have a full cavity search than take sides with the bengals, said it was clear as day.

Mike and Mike were adamantly hating the call. Plug in the Jets for the Bengals and see what would've happened.

However, Chris Carter, told them both it was a good call.

Notice how Smith pulls Iloka's jersey - watch the shield on the front of the collar.

The refs didn't give Smith that penalty... Smith gave Smith that penalty.

This.

IMHO Iloka doesn't flop and he doesn't attempt to sell anything.

All he does is fall down, with plenty of help from Steve Smith the Elder.

In retrospect if it's a controversial call it isn't because it wasn't a blatant penalty, it's because absolutely nobody thought the ref would make the call.

Archived