Gio iced again as Hill looms on deck; Green works again

Posted 1 hour ago

hobson60x60.jpg Geoff Hobson Editor Bengals.com 

bernard140120_630.jpg

The Bengals just can’t seem to get all their weapons on the field at the same time.

While Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green began his second straight practice Thursday, running back Giovani Bernard was nowhere to be seen for the second straight day. That would indicate Bernard is going to miss the first game of his two-year NFL career 1 p.m. Sunday against the Jaguars at Paul Brown Stadium.

Bernard, who took numerous shots 11 days ago in Indianapolis before getting 18 touches last week against Baltimore’s rugged seventh-ranked rush defense, is nursing both a shoulder and hip problem and could also be held out of the following Thursday night game against the Browns since there is just a four-day gap.

Next man up is rookie Jeremy Hill, a second-round pick who’ll make his second start with 195 yards on 50 carries. The 6-1, 230-pound Hill came into the Indy game two weeks ago with a 4.3-yard per carry average before the slogging got tough. But he was a big factor on the goal line in last Sunday’s victory.

“I always prepare myself like I’m the No. 1 guy, so every rep I get, I don’t take it for granted and not go full speed,” Hill said before Thursday’s practice. “I do it to the best of my ability and make sure I’m getting the mental looks, as well. So it’s the same thing for me. I want to go out there Sunday. If Gio’s playing then he is, if he’s not, he’s not. But I figure he’ll be out there. Everyone thinks he’ll be out there, so that’s what we’re going to do.”

Look for 2013 sixth-round pick Rex Burkhead to get his first NFL carry at some point Sunday. Burkhead has played in just three games and was inactive last week.

ROLL CALL: Defensive tackle Geno Atkins, a day shy of the one-year anniversary of his torn ACL in Miami, looked to be getting a rest day Thursday. But defensive tackle Domata Peko (toe) came back Thursday after resting Wednesday. Another D- tackle, Brandon Thompson (knee),  could be zeroing in on his first game since Sept. 14 after appearing for back-to-back practices.

It looks like they may be without right guard Kevin Zeitler (calf) again. Zeitler didn’t work Thursday and Wednesday after re-aggravating the injury last Sunday that took him out of three games earlier this season. It also looks like rookie cornerback Darqueze Dennard (hamstring) may be out after sitting out his second straight day.

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth returned Thursday after the birth Tuesday night of his fourth child. Guards Clint Boling and Mike Pollak were also working.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Gio-iced-again-as-Hill-looms-on-deck-Green-works-again/2add5a85-5d4d-47e5-b77f-c99fa148ff49

Posted 1 hour ago

hobson60x60.jpg Geoff Hobson Editor Bengals.com 

bernard140120_630.jpg

The Bengals just can’t seem to get all their weapons on the field at the same time.

While Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green began his second straight practice Thursday, running back Giovani Bernard was nowhere to be seen for the second straight day. That would indicate Bernard is going to miss the first game of his two-year NFL career 1 p.m. Sunday against the Jaguars at Paul Brown Stadium.

Bernard, who took numerous shots 11 days ago in Indianapolis before getting 18 touches last week against Baltimore’s rugged seventh-ranked rush defense, is nursing both a shoulder and hip problem and could also be held out of the following Thursday night game against the Browns since there is just a four-day gap.

Next man up is rookie Jeremy Hill, a second-round pick who’ll make his second start with 195 yards on 50 carries. The 6-1, 230-pound Hill came into the Indy game two weeks ago with a 4.3-yard per carry average before the slogging got tough. But he was a big factor on the goal line in last Sunday’s victory.

“I always prepare myself like I’m the No. 1 guy, so every rep I get, I don’t take it for granted and not go full speed,” Hill said before Thursday’s practice. “I do it to the best of my ability and make sure I’m getting the mental looks, as well. So it’s the same thing for me. I want to go out there Sunday. If Gio’s playing then he is, if he’s not, he’s not. But I figure he’ll be out there. Everyone thinks he’ll be out there, so that’s what we’re going to do.”

Look for 2013 sixth-round pick Rex Burkhead to get his first NFL carry at some point Sunday. Burkhead has played in just three games and was inactive last week.

ROLL CALL: Defensive tackle Geno Atkins, a day shy of the one-year anniversary of his torn ACL in Miami, looked to be getting a rest day Thursday. But defensive tackle Domata Peko (toe) came back Thursday after resting Wednesday. Another D- tackle, Brandon Thompson (knee),  could be zeroing in on his first game since Sept. 14 after appearing for back-to-back practices.

It looks like they may be without right guard Kevin Zeitler (calf) again. Zeitler didn’t work Thursday and Wednesday after re-aggravating the injury last Sunday that took him out of three games earlier this season. It also looks like rookie cornerback Darqueze Dennard (hamstring) may be out after sitting out his second straight day.

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth returned Thursday after the birth Tuesday night of his fourth child. Guards Clint Boling and Mike Pollak were also working.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Gio-iced-again-as-Hill-looms-on-deck-Green-works-again/2add5a85-5d4d-47e5-b77f-c99fa148ff49

Zeitler injured again?

I know I am speaking a little prematurely here (with Hill not starting a game yet or getting virtually any carries/catches so far) but it is very aggravating that this coaching staff always keeps dynamic players on the bench and playing less effective players instead. I know Gio is a pretty damn effective RB, but he shouldn't have been taking virtually every single carry- Hill should have been taking his fair share too. Especially with all the WRs hurt and Hue basically lying about this being a power running offense then trotting out a tiny RB on every play (including short yardage and goal line rushes)

I hope Hill crushes it just so this staff can't keep him on the bench anymore.

The other thread about injuries being a blessing in disguise left me cold, but I have to admit being perplexed by the workload and manner the Bengals have attempted to use Bernard this season. 

So if losing Bernard for a week or so helps convince the Bengals that gameplanning for 25 touches per game (Colts) for Bernard is too much, especially when half of the touches are between the tackle rushing attempts, well.... maybe that's a prettier shade of lipstick for our pig.

Pretty obvious Gio is a fine player who might be as explosive as any back in the NFL, but it's just as obvious he's a poor choice to build a power running game behind.

Or if you prefer, too much of his overall success depends on the so-called complimentary back he's been paired with. And there's the rub because Jeremy Hill may be a vastly superior back than BJGE but none of that matters if you're unwilling to give Hill more snaps and a far bigger role to play.

I can't speak for those who hated BJGE, but it's pretty reasonable to assume that if he were still here the complimentary back would be getting a bigger share of the workload, thereby frustrating many, but perhaps easing the physical price Gio is being asked to pay.

Last, several of the more spectacular hits Gio has absorbed have been the direct result of inexperienced players being forced to play more snaps, especially in the Colts game where defenders ignored the presence of Tate and Wright to deliver jarring hits to Bernard precisely when he was unable to defend himself.

In fact, Colt defenders were able to tee off on the Bengals all game long due to the missing players who stretch defensive coverages and keep things honest, further explaining why the whole injuries are a blessing in disguise thing leaves me cold.  

• pauldehnerjr Paul Dehner Jr.
    Gio Bernard not out at practice for third straight day. Not even out on the side. Can't see a scenario he plays Sunday.
    about a minute ago     
  • Inbgvoz0_normal.jpeg ColeyHarvey Coley Harvey
    A.J. Green is practicing, so as we've been saying, he should play Sunday #Bengals
    10 minutes ago     
  • qB5B9e--_normal.jpeg pauldehnerjr Paul Dehner Jr.
    A.J. Green again out to practice for third straight day. Have to assume barring setback he's on track to return Sunday.
    10 minutes ago     
  • Inbgvoz0_normal.jpeg ColeyHarvey Coley Harvey
    Once again, no Giovani Bernard as the #Bengals practice this morning. Jeremy Hill, Cedric Peerman and Rex Burkhead time.

Have no idea but Brandon Thompson sounds like a rest  situation after going the last two days vs. a set back.

Idk same exact situation as last week

I'd rather be injured in North Korea than be injured in the Bengals facility. No one ever gets healthy.

Your posts are the best lol

Gio could be out for a while, 3-4 weeks. Heard he has a really serious sternum bruise and a nasty bruise with his hip...basically dude is beat the fuck up and needs to rest. Thanks Hue!!! :33:

:doh:

The decisions the coaches in that organization make are truly bewildering at times... 

Gio could be out for a while, 3-4 weeks. Heard he has a really serious sternum bruise and a nasty bruise with his hip...basically dude is beat the fuck up and needs to rest. Thanks Hue!!! :33:

That is all on our WR deciding NOT to block on a screen play and letting GIO get fucking destroyed.....twice.

Archived