Guns in America

MichaelWeston

I know we are freaked out by Ebola, but Guns are the real epidemic in America.  83 people die a day from gun violence. One single day. And this was 20 months ago. 

"If Americans misbehaved on Jan. 15, 2013, as they typically do, then there were 30 gun-related murders and 162 people wounded by firearms in the country, based on the most recent figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On top of that, another 53 people kill themselves with a firearm each day, according to the CDC."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/murders-shootings-and-gun-sales-per-day_n_2488664.html

If we are going to freak out about things like Ebola, shouldn't we start worrying more about gun deaths?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/25/the-fear-about-things-that-won-t-kill-us-is-killing-us.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-weisser/guns-nra-doctors_b_5939384.html

You should be worrying about them.  Everyone should.  More so, everyone should be clamoring for the CURRENT GUN CONTROL LAWS TO BE ENFORCED PROPERLY.  Since the current laws are not enforced properly why should we add another law in place ?  With the exceptional answer of because we need another law to ignore...

NOTE:  Should someone decide to enforce the current laws, I would be 1000 percent behind tighter gun control.  Allowing gun owners who collect frequent flyer miles in the court system or psychiatric care departments, should not be allowed to own or even be in the vicinity of one.   As it is now, I have seen frequent flyers own, buy, shoot, display, etc... guns or other dangerous weapons.  Why are they still running loose ?  Don't ask me, ask your current legal system in your county which allows them to continue.  The Sheriff's office or Metro Police can only do so much.  They can arrest them, lock them up, and bring them to court but they can not stop them from continuing to flaunt the law.  The court systems appear to be flawed in a very bad way when they continually allow them back on the streets.

You should be worrying about them.  Everyone should.  More so, everyone should be clamoring for the CURRENT GUN CONTROL LAWS TO BE ENFORCED PROPERLY.  Since the current laws are not enforced properly why should we add another law in place ?  With the exceptional answer of because we need another law to ignore...

NOTE:  Should someone decide to enforce the current laws, I would be 1000 percent behind tighter gun control.  Allowing gun owners who collect frequent flyer miles in the court system or psychiatric care departments, should not be allowed to own or even be in the vicinity of one.   As it is now, I have seen frequent flyers own, buy, shoot, display, etc... guns or other dangerous weapons.  Why are they still running loose ?  Don't ask me, ask your current legal system in your county which allows them to continue.  The Sheriff's office or Metro Police can only do so much.  They can arrest them, lock them up, and bring them to court but they can not stop them from continuing to flaunt the law.  The court systems appear to be flawed in a very bad way when they continually allow them back on the streets.

From a mental health standpoint what frustrates me the most is access. More woman attempt suicide then men. More men complete suicide because they use guns. Guns are fatal. I don't have a solution that doesn't seem severe to gun owners. 

When it comes to guns the only solution people have is to ban legal guns,  no one ever has a solution to get rid of guns in the hands of criminals

When the last criminal has their gun removed you can have mine

and if you are going to ban guns because 30 people die each day from them then go ahead and ban automobiles too because more die in car crashes every day

117 people die every day in car crashes

When it comes to guns the only solution people have is to ban legal guns,  no one ever has a solution to get rid of guns in the hands of criminals

and if you are going to ban guns because 30 people die each day from them then go ahead and ban automobiles too because more die in car crashes every day

Watching the news today. Louisville man killed a lady while dui. It was not the first dui this man ever had. The news also discussed the problem with the courts releasing these people back on the streets and other issues. Sounds eerily familiar with gun crimes and other serious issues. In other words, some of those people need to be removed from owning, driving, etc... But no, that's not about to happen but what will happen is the creation of laws to appease the antigun crowd. Laws I remind you that the courts have no more intention of enforcing than the previous laws. IMHO...

That logic is absurd. Cars serve an actual purpose in the world.

That made me laugh out loud. I'm at least as horrible as you are...

:lol:

Seriously though, the American mindset about death needs to change. There are worse things than dying, like dishonor or lying for a living. Or whatever the fuck Elvis was eating.

There is a ridiculous level of difference. I will assume your joking. I am not going to hang out in a thread where you joke about suicide. It's lame.

I am seriously not joking, at all. If someone in their right mind, due to circumstances beyond their control, wishes to kill themselves, whom are you or I to tell them not to and furthermore what difference does it make which method they choose? It's their choice. Now, suicide is a problem in many ways for people with depression and I completely understand the wake of sadness they leave behind for loved ones.

I am talking about people with cancer or other terminal illnesses that are in incredible pain that make a lucid decision to no longer suffer. We do it to dogs and horses, put them out of their misery and we make that choice for animals in that situation. Humans are animals at their core, and if a person in the situation I describe wishes to end their pain, I cannot think of a reason to try to stop them other than selfish avoidance of grief.

I am seriously not joking, at all. If someone in their right mind, due to circumstances beyond their control, wishes to kill themselves, whom are you or I to tell them not to and furthermore what difference does it make which method they choose? It's their choice. Now, suicide is a problem in many ways for people with depression and I completely understand the wake of sadness they leave behind for loved ones.

I am talking about people with cancer or other terminal illnesses that are in incredible pain that make a lucid decision to no longer suffer. We do it to dogs and horses, put them out of their misery and we make that choice for animals in that situation. Humans are animals at their core, and if a person in the situation I describe wishes to end their pain, I cannot think of a reason to try to stop them other than selfish avoidance of grief.

There is a major difference between stopping them and telling them to shoot themselves in the head. We can do things a bit more humane then that.

Omg. Seriously folks. The subject is guns in America not suicide by whatever means is ok or bad. Now, if you want, we can change the title to read suicide by guns in America or something along those lines... Fwiw, both of my parents died of cancer. One of them just this year. I'm not so sure I agree with either Bung or Weston on this one. At that age nothing is pain free and should be IMHO kept as merciful as possible. A gun to the head would be too traumatic for most people to see or even hear about regardless of the person's background IMHO. Letting them have copious amounts of pain relieving meds might be seen alot differently than brain splattering... The action and end result would be the same.

Omg. Seriously folks. The subject is guns in America not suicide by whatever means is ok or bad. Now, if you want, we can change the title to read suicide by guns in America or something along those lines... Fwiw, both of my parents died of cancer. One of them just this year. I'm not so sure I agree with either Bung or Weston on this one. At that age nothing is pain free and should be IMHO kept as merciful as possible. A gun to the head would be too traumatic for most people to see or even hear about regardless of the person's background IMHO. Letting them have copious amounts of pain relieving meds might be seen alot differently than brain splattering... The action and end result would be the same.

Pretty much what I was getting at. I also agree with your previous post (back on topic!) about enforcing the gun laws we currently have rather than adopting more useless ones that ultimately will only impede regular, non-criminal, non-crazy citizens from owning them.

Did you just "OMG". Respect points negated.

Did you just "OMG". Respect points negated.

It was a grey moment. If blondes can have a moment, I am allowed to have one too. Request reinstatement of points...

Note: when I use omg I mean to say really ? No offense to anyone here who still thinks that omg is an actual word in the kings english.

It was a grey moment. If blondes can have a moment, I am allowed to have one too. Request reinstatement of points...

Note: when I use omg I mean to say really ? No offense to anyone here who still thinks that omg is an actual word in the kings english.

respect points returned for saying the kings english

Archived